The annoying, but traditional, totally unfounded Autumn/Winter 2011-12 rumours thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: The annoying, but traditional, totally unfounded Autumn/Winter 2011-12 rumours th

Pure speculation on my part but sylvain ebanks-blake maybe ?

Re: The annoying, but traditional, totally unfounded Autumn/Winter 2011-12 rumours th

Joel Ward and Jason Pearce from Portsmouth, according to the Merc.

Pearson is out to strengthen his squad and, after making striker Nathan Delfouneso his second signing yesterday, he has been linked with several targets, including Portsmouth duo Joel Ward and Jason Pearce. http://www.thisisleicestershire.co.uk/story-15019687-detail/story.html? (bottom of the article)

Don't know anything about them, personally.

Both young, both centre backs. Can't see us getting any more in? Maybe Bamba and St Ledger will be sold after all...

Why is there so much talk of Bamba leaving? Have I missed something, is he unsettled, are we looking to get rid of him?

Joel Ward and Jason Pearce from Portsmouth, according to the Merc.

Pearson is out to strengthen his squad and, after making striker Nathan Delfouneso his second signing yesterday, he has been linked with several targets, including Portsmouth duo Joel Ward and Jason Pearce. http://www.thisisleicestershire.co.uk/story-15019687-detail/story.html? (bottom of the article)

Don't know anything about them, personally.

The BBC ran a story about a week ago saying we'd had a bid turned down for both, as had Ipswich. I think the BBC got their knickers in a twist though as the original story read:

Pompey this week rejected a bid from Championship rivals Leicester for the pair, who are linked to Watford.

Midfielder Ward, 22, has played 25 games this season while 24-year-old defender Pearce has 24 appearances.

"At the minute it would be ridiculous to get rid of players, especially if we can't bring any new ones in," Appleton told BBC Radio Solent.

"Ipswich have made a bid for Joel and Jason. We don't want to sell our younger players and the bid was well short of our valuation for the players if they were for sale," added Appleton.

"I'm not aware of the Watford offer but even if we could sign players we are not looking to sell our younger players who will see as the future of the football club."

Pearce was signed from South Coast rivals Bournemouth in 2011 while Ward began his career at Pompey.

But now reads:

Pompey last week rejected an initial bid from Ipswich, with manager Michael Appleton saying they were not for sale.

Midfielder Ward, 22, has played 26 games this season while defender Pearce, 24, has made 25 appearances.

"At the minute it would be ridiculous to get rid of players, especially if we can't bring any new ones in," Appleton told BBC Radio Solent on Thursday.

"Ipswich have made a bid for Joel and Jason. We don't want to sell our younger players and the bid was well short of our valuation for the players if they were for sale."

The pair have also attracted interest from Watford but Appleton added: "I'm not aware of the Watford offer but even if we could sign players we are not looking to sell our younger players who we see as the future of the football club."

Pearce was signed from south coast rivals Bournemouth in 2011 while Ward began his career at Pompey

No mention of us in the updated link, and I suspect they put our name in, instead of Ipswich first time around.

Last edited:

friction-scoop.jpg

Would be delighted to get Marshall, especially @ £500,000. Wednesday fans rate him highly.

Second link must be pure paper talk, both players looked great yesterday and if they can keep that up it would be strange if we wanted rid of them. Pearson said yesterday he intended to have a chat with St Ledger about whether he still plans to leave or stay.

Would be delighted to get Marshall, especially @ £500,000. Wednesday fans rate him highly.

The Marshall thing looks like a recycled story from a couple of weeks ago.
I'd be pleased if we signed him, I saw him play around 30 times for Carlisle and he just got better and better until he got a bad injury in the JPT final at Wembley. He seems to have continued that form at Sheff W this season.

According to Ken Bates ramblings, we offered Beckford back to Leeds in December ...

BF: You mentioned on Jonny Howson the time the club have put into him and the fact he was captain. Do you understand the fans’ disappointment that the man they thought had been here so long has moved on?

KB: Well of course I can understand the fans’ disappointment! They can understand my disappointment! But this is a free country. Under the Bosman rule you can’t hold him down and make him sign a contract. Even if he did, he wouldn’t be much good on the pitch would he, getting his own back by not playing properly. Of course I understand it but that’s part of the game and there’s nothing you can do about it.

I mentioned earlier about Beckford. I thought I’d go back to that. Two years ago, Newcastle came and offered us £1.8milllion for Beckford and like Howson, he was out of contract and over 24 at the end of the season. We discussed it again with the manager and we thought that Beckford would be instrumental in getting us promotion and so it prove. But of course, at a loss of £1.8million on Beckford. For those interested, he was offered back to us last month.

But in the end we kept him and he scored the winning goal against Bristol Rovers and we got promotion, which was far more valuable to the club than the £1.8million from Newcastle. So, there, we justified our decision. Here, I think, we’ve justified our decision again. Jonny is out for most of the rest of the season so wasn’t going to help us do much to get promotion this year and we trousered the money and moved on.

(BF = Ben Fry, KB = Ken Bates)

If this is true, I can't see Beckford staying after the summer.

If this is true, I can't see Beckford staying after the summer.

Hardly a surprise that Nigel wanted to offload him at that time.

Maybe the fact that no one wanted him shook him up a bit, hence the much improved performances lately.

Can't see him leaving if he keeps playing as he is now and we are successful.

Ref Beckford, it could explain why his attitude on the pitch was so poor. If it was early December, that could have been less than 3 weeks of NP being back in the hot seat. I'm sure a lot has been sorted in that time, and certainly Beckford has looked much more like the player we were expecting.

Ref Beckford, it could explain why his attitude on the pitch was so poor. If it was early December, that could have been less than 3 weeks of NP being back in the hot seat. I'm sure a lot has been sorted in that time, and certainly Beckford has looked much more like the player we were expecting.

Surely the two teams rule would have still applied?

As does the 'Ken Bates always talks bollocks, the lying bastard' rule

Well, according to my DL supporting colleague, it doesn't apply to emergency loans. No doubt someone will be along soon to clarify that.

Besides who trusts that wild old goat anyway! Compulsive liar.

That may be true, but SJN does have a nice avatar so I'm prepared to overlook that

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669