The big difference Pearson makes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wombat

Players being quoted in the press this weekend saying "Pearson's arrival has sent a buzz around the club", is great news. The drawn out managerial saga must have had an effect on the team, as modern-day footballers are like spoiled babies more than in any other generation, so to have someone at the helm who knows what they are doing & inspires respect and confidence in the dressing room and on the pitch is crucial if we are going to achieve any measure of success this season.

"Pearson has an aura about him" sounds like he's the modern day Brian Clough, and I think although the same "aura" comment could be said of a manager of Sven's pedigree, I think Person has a 'steel' that Sven never had.

I think the difference is the players know if they come off the pitch without the three points or showing 110% effort, Person will give them a roasting, with ultra suave Sven, it was probably a case of "bad luck boys, we must try harder next time..."

Welcome back Nigel - I think yesterday's performance and result is a sign of what is to come for the balance of the season - a top 6 playoff spot should now be a realistic target

Last edited:
One difference played out was that pearson during the match was guiding players, whilst other managers we had just stood and watched.

One difference played out was that pearson during the match was guiding players, whilst other managers we had just stood and watched.
One thing that reallly ticked me off about Sven was the match against Brum when we had Mills sent off and were 1-0, Sven stood and watched no motion or movement whatsoever. NP has that movement and passion on the sidelines that is what the players take on to the pitch.

Well thank goodness. I left the country to the news of Sven being sacked and feared the worst - Billy Davies or Roy Keane. Things must have moved quickly since nobody at the time was mentioning Nigel Pearson. I am sure other people will have written this on other threads but it is clear that the way Mandaric and Hoos treated Pearson was a big mistake.

Ir is also pleasing that Pearson has brought his staff with him. When the club did a "Meet The Manager" the one who most impressed me was Steve Walsh Sr. Therefore I was interested during the Leicester Legends evenin that Birch and Gerry Taggart both spoke of him with awe. Since Nigel left we have lacked someone in management watching the game from high up. It was clear yesterday that Craig Shakespeare was getting comments from Walsh and then passing them on to Nigel.

Finally it was good to hear yesterday that Nigel Pearson has kept up his repertoire of Old English to use against the linesman.

Players being quoted in the press this weekend saying "Pearson's arrival has sent a buzz around the club", is great news. The drawn out managerial saga must have had an effect on the team, as modern-day footballers are like spoiled babies more than in any other generation, so to have someone at the helm who knows what they are doing & inspires respect and confidence in the dressing room and on the pitch is crucial if we are going to achieve any measure of success this season.

"Pearson has an aura about him" sounds like he's the modern day Brian Clough, and I think although the same "aura" comment could be said of a manager of Sven's pedigree, I think Person has a 'steel' that Sven never had.

I think the difference is the players know if they come off the pitch without the three points or showing 110% effort, Person will give them a roasting, with ultra suave Sven, it was probably a case of "bad luck boys, we must try harder next time..."

Welcome back Nigel - I think yesterday's performance and result is a sign of what is to come for the balance of the season - a top 6 playoff spot should now be a realistic target

Yes but who are the players quoted? could just be the ones that were here during his first stint! In all honesty I can't see too many of our new signings being too excited. I could be wrong but be nice to know who made these statements.

I think comparisons to Clough are hugely premature and laughable at the moment. If there's a Clough in the modern game I think it's O'Neill and he still falls short. I agree he has a bit of steel to him that the squad probably needs in order to get results.

Yes but who are the players quoted? could just be the ones that were here during his first stint! In all honesty I can't see too many of our new signings being too excited. I could be wrong but be nice to know who made these statements.

Danns and Wellens to name but two.....

Given that NP has been back for one whole game it could be just slightly early to make too many assumptions.

However, what we know is that NP has a good track record at this level.

What I also know is that Sven has had no success as a manager for years - and what I suspect is that he was appointed for the wrong reasons i.e. as a 'name' rather than anyone who was likely to have a 'grip' at this level.

and what I suspect is that he was appointed for the wrong reasons i.e. as a 'name' rather than anyone who was likely to have a 'grip' at this level.

But he brought Tord with him..?

Last edited:
Given that NP has been back for one whole game it could be just slightly early to make too many assumptions.

Sorry Redditch; it's very possible that you'll be made redundant if this is the most 'glass-half empty' post you can muster. gregs_y2k has taken pessimism to a whole new level.

However, what we know is that NP has a good track record at this level.

What I also know is that Sven has had no success as a manager for years - and what I suspect is that he was appointed for the wrong reasons i.e. as a 'name' rather than anyone who was likely to have a 'grip' at this level.

Exactly, this could just be another Derby moment. Too early to get over excited about a new dawn yet.

I agree it's far too early to get excited about NP's return and claim he's turned the corner, but I'm happy he's back nonetheless and thought there were some good signs of improvement yesterday, St. Ledger being the obvious example.

Sorry Redditch; it's very possible that you'll be made redundant if this is the most 'glass-half empty' post you can muster. gregs_y2k has taken pessimism to a whole new level.

If I had changed my opinions based on one result, you'd be calling me the biggest hypocrite in the world! I'm happy we have got back to winning ways but i'm not going to climb into Pearson's ass after 1 game. I'll wait until the January window closes before I make up my mind. That will give him enough time to have 'turned the corner' and we'll know what he intends to do in terms of transfer policy.

I take that comment with a pinch of salt, because on the face of it, it sounds like comments that would be more likely to come from players that were here when he was originally, or on the fringe.

I agree it's far too early to get excited about NP's return and claim he's turned the corner, but I'm happy he's back nonetheless and thought there were some good signs of improvement yesterday, St. Ledger being the obvious example.

St Ledger had a better game because we had shape, generally you could see two lines of four when we were defending with everyone having a clue what they were supposed to do, I don't remember seeing much of that under Sousa or Sven. It's much easier to defend if you know where your cover is.

Pearson had some swagger about him yesterday, berating the linesmen at every opportunity, the funniest bit was when Mills came off for treatment. NP shouted "Millsy, Millsy, MILLSY you all right?" Mills: "Yea, i'll be ok" NP: "Get back on the ****ing pitch then and run it off son".

If I had changed my opinions based on one result, you'd be calling me the biggest hypocrite in the world! I'm happy we have got back to winning ways but i'm not going to climb into Pearson's ass after 1 game. I'll wait until the January window closes before I make up my mind. That will give him enough time to have 'turned the corner' and we'll know what he intends to do in terms of transfer policy.

I take that comment with a pinch of salt, because on the face of it, it sounds like comments that would be more likely to come from players that were here when he was originally, or on the fringe.

Agreed. And I appreciate differing opinions on this forum, so please take my comment with a pinch of salt also.

I was merely stating that it's unusual for someone to piss on everyone's Cheerios more than Redditch, irrespective of the fact that he is one of the posters whose posts I heed most.

Keep it up though; hopefully we can all rub it in your face when NP leads us to the Premier League before Top rejects an approach from Barcelona for him. :icon_razz

Agreed. And I appreciate differing opinions on this forum, so please take my comment with a pinch of salt also.

I was merely stating that it's unusual for someone to piss on everyone's Cheerios more than Redditch, irrespective of the fact that he is one of the posters whose posts I heed most.

Keep it up though; hopefully we can all rub it in your face when NP leads us to the Premier League before Top rejects an approach from Barcelona for him. :icon_razz

That's a good thing to know. Whilst I didn't think Pearson was the best person for the job, I don't think he was the worst (provided we don't start going in for players we've already said goodbye to) and I'm not the type to hope that he fails just to prove my point.

Tord didnt come with hin I think just had Faz and brought in Didi who wasnt replaced when he left .Nor had Powell really. This was one of the problems. Whereas Nigel and Craig are there at training and hopefully like yesterday this will bear fruit.
I agree we really shot ourselves in the foot with not replacing the coaches we lost

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669