THE CLOCK IS TICKING

Status
Not open for further replies.

gregs_y2k

With the Glazer takeover finally going through it looks like another team who have won the European cup could find themselves in the depths of the lower leagues in a few seasons. With Forest going down and now this has put a smile on my face at the end of this season, a few months back I wouldn't have thought I could be so happy

as much as i dont like the manure tossers i cant help but think that this is a bigger thing. i think its bad for english football as a whole and completely backs up the era where football clubs are now purely businesses. i understand the game has to move with the times but i still think its a sad demise from what football used to be.
If the guy gets 75% of the clubs shares (which looks certain) then he will be able to dump £300m of his personal debt on the football club which is a large enough sum to fcuk manu right up.

the guy is no Roman Abramovich (spelling) most of his money is borrowed, he has no intrest in our sport and hes never even been to Old Trafford. fair enough if it had to happen to someone then i say united. but its a bad sign for football fans.

oh no, i see what you are saying, he has no money, he has had to borrow 200 million to get his shar eof united
And it really does add to the risk that Chelsea will walk the league for the considerable future, or the three horse race becoming two, witho nly arsenal left to chase chelsea.
I'm just curious to see how far these glory supporters of man united stick with them before they find another club.
Man Utd are screwed there is no doubt about it, give them one seasn and the likes of ronaldo van nistelroy et al will all be gone to pay back the Glazedr debt.
I'm betting on a very empty old trafford for the first home game of the season

gregs_y2k said:
oh no, i see what you are saying, he has no money, he has had to borrow 200 million to get his shar eof united
And it really does add to the risk that Chelsea will walk the league for the considerable future, or the three horse race becoming two, witho nly arsenal left to chase chelsea.
I'm just curious to see how far these glory supporters of man united stick with them before they find another club.
Man Utd are screwed there is no doubt about it, give them one seasn and the likes of ronaldo van nistelroy et al will all be gone to pay back the Glazedr debt.
I'm betting on a very empty old trafford for the first home game of the season

If a friend at work is anything to go by, then that won't happen. He said to me that he wouldn't give up his season ticket because there are thousands waiting to take up any available places.
I can't see why Man U fans are so bitter about it anyway. Man U were one of the first to put themselves on the stock market , and everybody knows that if the product is attractive then they will always be a target for potential takeover bids.
My message to Man U fans is GET OVER IT. They have strutted around with plenty of arrogance while they were dominating the game. But with Arsy Wenger and some dosh from the KGB they are no longer top dogs, and they don't like it.WELL TOUGH. Should try being a Leicester fan.

Hear, hear brauny..
shame the profits (which there will be in a few years) will go 'stateside'.
It's not just Micheal, but his son too, so there are 2 of them. Manchester United being taken over by double glazers...fantastic. :lol:
Arrogant red tossers... :p

I can't believe people are being so short-sighted, this is not just a Man U thing.

In fact Glazer's takeover of Man U could have a worse effect on clubs like Leicester than it does for Man U.

Glazer wants to pull out of the collective Premiership TV arrangement, because he knows Man U would be worth far more by themselves than they get as part of the current deal. If he can do this (which I'm sure his expensive lawyers will be able to do), he'll make a big profit, but he'll also be able to put money into the Man U team to make sure they're still attractive to TV viewers, and keep making him more money.

But with the collective TV deal gone, the Liverpools, Arsenals etc will also do the same thing, leaving the 'less attractive' clubs to fend for themselves.

This will result in the gap between the haves and the have nots growing even bigger than it is now.

man utd complaining because football has become a busines........cough, cough, who more than did their bit to help that little factor along?

webmaster said:
I can't believe people are being so short-sighted, this is not just a Man U thing.

In fact Glazer's takeover of Man U could have a worse effect on clubs like Leicester than it does for Man U.

Glazer wants to pull out of the collective Premiership TV arrangement, because he knows Man U would be worth far more by themselves than they get as part of the current deal. If he can do this (which I'm sure his expensive lawyers will be able to do), he'll make a big profit, but he'll also be able to put money into the Man U team to make sure they're still attractive to TV viewers, and keep making him more money.

But with the collective TV deal gone, the Liverpools, Arsenals etc will also do the same thing, leaving the 'less attractive' clubs to fend for themselves.

This will result in the gap between the haves and the have nots growing even bigger than it is now.

That is my main concern. However would the 5-6 (optimistic) clubs that managed to sell their rights for big money have anyone to play against as surely there is the possibility that the other 14-15 clubs in the Premier League could refuse to play them after they've 'cheated' them out of so much money? Of course they could just go make this European Super League that's been talked about for ages.

As much as I don't like Man U, the t.v. money issue scares the shite out of me! We are reliant to a lesser extent on T.V. money because we get hardly any out of this league...however, the little we do get we need desperately!

It is kind of funny that Bungle from Rainbow now owns Man U though! :lol:

I've spoken to plenty of supposed Man Utd fans (not actually from manchester, surprise surprise) none of them think Glazer will make any money from this or the club either.
I doubt they'll be able to do what you say, because there is already a huge fans backlash againt the club already. Threats of doing a wimbledon and starting afresh.
Glazer doesn't want it so much as a business venture, more as a trophy
"i own the biggest club in the world"

webmaster said:

Yes, but there's also a very good chance it will leave many of the "haves" in a very precarious situation as they're putting all of their TV eggs in one basket. If it weren't for cooked books, government assistance and who knows what else, many of the big clubs in Italy that have done similar schemes would no longer exist. Besides Juventus (which, despite the financial problems in Italian soccer and a shitty stadium arrangement, still has a solid ownership group that's been behind the club for generations) and AC Milan (Berlusconi--'nuff said), all of the other big clubs have been very close to serious troubles. Fiorentina already went down the shitter, who's next?

webmaster said:

Problem with this post is that it presumes that over time the status quo will prevail. :p :p :wink: ;-) :mrgreen:

I understand what webbo is saying here but come on, this is funny at the moment. Not For Sale? SOLD. Hahahaha!

:lol: :lol: :lol:

I don't get all this doom and gloom about Man Utd.

To webbo's point about TV rights. I can't see the Premier League allowing clubs to launch their own deals. I can see how the top clubs would view it as attractive but there are another 15 chairmen/clubs. So I can't see how it would get through.

Glazer is in it for the money (as were Magnier and McManus beforehand). To make money continued success is required. If all the top players go they will win f8ck all which means all the Man U shirts you see on Gallowtree Gate and abroad will be replaced by Chelsea or Arsenal or whoever the next dominant team is.

This could ultimately be good for football in the same way that stadium disasters in the 80's were. It could be the catalyst for change. Clubs might realise that floating on the stock market brings inherent risk as well as an initial reward in the form of a lump sum of cash.

Finally let the man speak before going around burning mock ups of his head. Strachan was spot on on MOTD last night on this point. Glazer clearly believes the ongoing profit that can be made will payoff the debt he has taken on in the next 5 - 10 years or he wouldn't have thought about taking it on. He has done the business in the NFL so there is no reason to think he might not at Man Utd.

PS if any club does deserve to get humped its Man Utd, they are a victim of their success.

Dickovforengland! said:
To webbo's point about TV rights. I can't see the Premier League allowing clubs to launch their own deals. I can see how the top clubs would view it as attractive but there are another 15 chairmen/clubs. So I can't see how it would get through.

Because Glazer will will use the courts to get his own way. He'll justify it by saying the current system is restraint of trade, or something similar.

Once one club is able to break away, the other big clubs will follow and the rest will be left to feed on the leftovers.

webmaster said:
Dickovforengland! said:

Because Glazer will will use the courts to get his own way. He'll justify it by saying the current system is restraint of trade, or something similar.

Once one club is able to break away, the other big clubs will follow and the rest will be left to feed on the leftovers.

The current TV deal would not get past the European Courts. It's just that no-one has upset the apple cart yet. :roll: :wink: ;-) :mrgreen:

the TV thing going to courts will have the same result as the transfer of players thing not so long ago. people said it was unfair clubs selling people for large ammounts of money, 2 months later the record for largest transfer fee is broken.

fitz said:
the TV thing going to courts will have the same result as the transfer of players thing not so long ago. people said it was unfair clubs selling people for large ammounts of money, 2 months later the record for largest transfer fee is broken.

The Bosman ruling was nothing to do with how high transfer fees were, it was about players to be free to work where they wanted once their contract had ended.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669