THE GOVERNMENT SHOULD BAN RUGBY

Status
Not open for further replies.

kam

Fox Hunting - banned

so lets start a petition to call upon the Government to legislate against that cruel and barbaric, so called, sport that goes by the name of Rugby.

SAVE OUR STADIUM - BAN RUGBY

I just find the game so boring,like when England won the Rugby World Cup was I interested? was I fu......

just shows how narrow minded you are you probably dont like it cus you couldn't play it scared of the game ?

He probably wasn't interested because he's Scottish, Mr Genius

I've taken a wander around the Tigers forums and these rugby type people are very strange.

BAN RUGBY NOW

It's a boring minority sport, played in only a few countries by people who are not good enough to play football.

kam said:
I've taken a wander around the Tigers forums and these rugby type people are very strange.

BAN RUGBY NOW

It's a boring minority sport, played in only a few countries by people who are not good enough to play football.

That reminds me of valuable minutes spent trying to persuade the ex-headmaster of Wyggeston "Joe" Larkin that football rather than rugby should be the major sport at his school.

Being one of the few county lads at the school I was up against it from the start but recall explaining to him that, because football was played through 360 degrees rather than 180 it required a lot more intelligence and imagination than rugby, there being far more options.

He took not a blind bit of notice (with ex-England threequarter Mike Harrison as my form master I shouldn't have been surprised).

It didn't stop his cronies putting me in the rugby team though. We had a decent team and, as a diminutive full-back (there only because I could catch and kick), my job was mainly watching and clapping as my team-mates scored tries.

My last game ended in ignominy. As usual we were 25 points ahead and when an opposition forward broke through 10 minutes from time my colleagues could easily have chased back and tackled him.

But, with the game decided, and the forward a 14-stone colossus who was so lumbering he was never going to swerve past anyone, those wonderful team-mates left him to me.

I thought about a textbook tackle round the waist but quickly revised that option because my arms would only stretch round one mammoth thigh.

I hit him for all I was worth which, in rugby terms, proved not a lot.

He just grunted, reached down with the grappling iron he called his right arm, and continued to carry both me and ball over the try-line without breaking step and pressed both into the ground as a signing off.

What an embarrassment and what a bloody waste of time, I thought.

And, when, three minutes later the guy had the ball again I decided a conventional block was pointless so simply launched into a thigh-high slide tackle that despatched him out of play and onto and over the spongeman's bucket.

Job done, I thought and was delighted but no-one else saw it the same way and, oh the consequences.

Turned out that slide tackling and looking like a footballer was the worst offence you could commit at Wyggeston. Off I went and was subsequently called before the beak and banned, never to play again.

How marvellous it was to get back to football on Saturdays...

Tony Elsby said:
kam said:

BAN RUGBY NOW

That reminds me of valuable minutes spent trying to persuade the ex-headmaster of Wyggeston "Joe" Larkin that football rather than rugby should be the major sport at his school.........
...How marvellous it was to get back to football on Saturdays...

Were you a technical consultant for the television series "Ripping Yarns" :?: :?

kam said:

BAN RUGBY NOW

You say its a minority sport when tigers got 9,000 to their last reserve team game on the same night that City only managed 6,000 against Preston (fair enough it was the Carling Cup).

Clearly a reasoned argument from start to finish, including a page copied out of Tom Brown's Schooldays.

Tony 'Flashman' Elsby.

Tony Elsby said:
kam said:

BAN RUGBY NOW

That reminds me of valuable minutes spent trying to persuade the ex-headmaster of Wyggeston "Joe" Larkin that football rather than rugby should be the major sport at his school.

Being one of the few county lads at the school I was up against it from the start but recall explaining to him that, because football was played through 360 degrees rather than 180 it required a lot more intelligence and imagination than rugby, there being far more options.

He took not a blind bit of notice (with ex-England threequarter Mike Harrison as my form master I shouldn't have been surprised).

It didn't stop his cronies putting me in the rugby team though. We had a decent team and, as a diminutive full-back (there only because I could catch and kick), my job was mainly watching and clapping as my team-mates scored tries.

My last game ended in ignominy. As usual we were 25 points ahead and when an opposition forward broke through 10 minutes from time my colleagues could easily have chased back and tackled him.

But, with the game decided, and the forward a 14-stone colossus who was so lumbering he was never going to swerve past anyone, those wonderful team-mates left him to me.

I thought about a textbook tackle round the waist but quickly revised that option because my arms would only stretch round one mammoth thigh.

He just grunted, reached down with the grappling iron he called his right arm, and continued to carry both me and ball over the try-line without breaking step and pressed both into the ground as a signing off.

And, when, three minutes later the guy had the ball again I decided a conventional block was pointless so simply launched into a thigh-high slide tackle that despatched him out of play and onto and over the spongeman's bucket.

Job done, I thought and was delighted but no-one else saw it the same way and, oh the consequences.

Turned out that slide tackling and looking like a footballer was the worst offence you could commit at Wyggeston. Off I went and was subsequently called before the beak and banned, never to play again.

I am not sure I understand. You were the Manager of a football side in the early Seventies in another thread and yet in this one you are a schoolboy with Mike Harrison (I presume the former Wakefield and England winger) as your form master.

Given the fact that Harrison was playing for England in the 80's to a be former player would mean you were a pupil after his career was over. Thus you were a pupil in the late 80's to 90's. In which case, how did you manage the football side?

Am I missing something or would you like to clear this up for me. :? :?

ScarboroughFox said:
kam said:
Fox Hunting - banned

so lets start a petition to call upon the Government to legislate against that cruel and barbaric, so called, sport that goes by the name of Rugby.

SAVE OUR STADIUM - BAN RUGBY

What a stupid childish thing to say!
Grow up

Dear Mr ScarboroughFox

It was meant as a comic observation, irony if you will.

However, I do seem to recall that attempts have been made in the past to ban it due to the poor kids that have broken their necks playing the game.

Anyway, stupid I am certainly not, childish, oh yes.

Steven said:
Tony Elsby said:
kam said:

BAN RUGBY NOW

I am not sure I understand. You were the Manager of a football side in the early Seventies in another thread and yet in this one you are a schoolboy with Mike Harrison (I presume the former Wakefield and England winger) as your form master.

Given the fact that Harrison was playing for England in the 80's to a be former player would mean you were a pupil after his career was over. Thus you were a pupil in the late 80's to 90's. In which case, how did you manage the football side?

Am I missing something or would you like to clear this up for me. :? :?

Wish I had been a pupil in the 80's/90's, my knees wouldn't ache nearly as much.

Mike Harrison was a well known Leicester Tigers and England or England trialist threequarter in the mid-1960's and a maths master at Wyggeston.
I remember him as deceptively mild-mannered and a thoroughly likeable form master of 5D at the time until about eight of us tried to tackle him in a boys versus masters game and we all bounced off him like we'd run into a huge chunk of cast iron.

We tended to play him up a bit cos he was easy going but we learned a lot of respect after that.

He's still around because I heard him interviewed on Radio Leicester not so long ago.

Not that anyone else would be interested but as you asked and it's no secret I played football in Leicestershire for the likes of Loughborough United and Hinckley Athletic until the mid-70's (aged 15-24-ish) before managing the latter around 1972 and finally going on to be a professional squash player (cos I'd been banned from football and couldn't play incognito at Bourne Town for ever).

Hope that sorts the picture out for you. I'd forgotten most of it myself to tell you the truth and my apologies if it doesn't make particularly consequential reading.

My lasting regret is not having had a video of the Loughborough Dynamo Sunday team of the time. They were a managers delight. I think they played two years unbeaten with only one change throughout that time and their football was a joy to behold.

You didn't have to manage them, just sit back and applaud. Several went on to play for Senior League or semi-professional teams, people like Paul Mitchell (1), Paul Michell (2), Keith Christie, John Danvers, Robert Ereminowicz, Stevie Hollis and so on.

I mention it because I haven't seen or heard from any of em in years and if any are around I'd be delighted to meet up and have a drink if they'd get in touch through the forum.

That's it. No more nostalgia. Hope this puts your thoughts in order.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4494
2Leeds Utd4590
3Ipswich4490
4Southampton4584
5Norwich City4573
6West Brom4572
7Hull City4570
8Middlesbro4566