Speculation The hysterical and annoying, but traditional, totally unfounded winter 2018/19 rumours thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
A duffer that played for long periods at the top of La Liga and won more European silverware than our entire club.

I bet Villarreal will be gutted.

Another midfielder that surprise, surprise, hasn't looked very good in our pathetic midfield and pathetic tactics.

Our current CM players however continue to look amazing.......
You kept telling us how great Slimani was and that we just 'weren't using him right'. I'm not sure your judgement is to be trusted.

I couldn't give two shites what he's done or not done in football elsewhere, it means nothing at all to us as a club. He's been atrocious here. I can give you countless examples of players who have been in teams that have won more silverware than our club - they won't all be great players and so this argument takes you nowhere. You keep banging in about our current midfield being poor but if the choice is to replace it with one that is even poorer, then I'm with Puel in keeping Silva as far away from it as possible. Do you really think he's not playing or even making the squad because Puel 'doesn't like him' or do you think it's more likely that he's as bad in training as we have seen him be on the pitch? Come on, it isn't rocket science really, is it?

A couple of years or so ago there was talk of Deeney coming in from Watford. I was very happy with this prospect as were a couple of other posters (BN? CF? I can't really remember off the top of my head and I'm far too lazy to look back!) whilst there were others who were displeased by the prospect for a range different reasons. Just watching him tonight on MotD, he really is a terrific, old fashioned forward and I can't help thinking he would have been just what we have been crying out for over the last couple of years. At 30 he's probably not someone we'd be looking at again, especially given our movement towards youthfulness, but if the opportunity arose to give him a couple of years here I'd still take it.

He played well as part of a two up front setup at Watford, with Odion Ighalo, too.
He did. He offers something different both on the pitch and off the bench and he just has a knack of scoring. I'm not sure his head is always in the right place although I've no idea about this it's just a feeling I get about him but I think we missed a trick in not pursuing this further. Mind you, I've no idea if we did and were told to soundly **** off by Watford of course.

A duffer that played for long periods at the top of La Liga and won more European silverware than our entire club.

I bet Villarreal will be gutted.

Another midfielder that surprise, surprise, hasn't looked very good in our pathetic midfield and pathetic tactics.

Our current CM players however continue to look amazing.......

You kept telling us how great Slimani was and that we just 'weren't using him right'. I'm not sure your judgement is to be trusted.

I couldn't give two shites what he's done or not done in football elsewhere, it means nothing at all to us as a club. He's been atrocious here. I can give you countless examples of players who have been in teams that have won more silverware than our club - they won't all be great players and so this argument takes you nowhere. You keep banging in about our current midfield being poor but if the choice is to replace it with one that is even poorer, then I'm with Puel in keeping Silva as far away from it as possible. Do you really think he's not playing or even making the squad because Puel 'doesn't like him' or do you think it's more likely that he's as bad in training as we have seen him be on the pitch? Come on, it isn't rocket science really, is it?
Many apologies Lako. For some reason, perhaps because I'm a moron, I read the link and then wrote this about Silva!! I still don't think Iborra has much quality but I'd rather him than Silva. We may not agree much of the time but when I'm banging on about the wrong player I give you no ****ing chance of understanding a word of what I'm going on about!

I can't even style this one out - What a dickhead. It must be bed time for **** sake.

He played well as part of a two up front setup at Watford, with Odion Ighalo, too.
2 upfront just doesn’t seem to work with Jamie Vardy

He did. He offers something different both on the pitch and off the bench and he just has a knack of scoring. I'm not sure his head is always in the right place although I've no idea about this it's just a feeling I get about him but I think we missed a trick in not pursuing this further. Mind you, I've no idea if we did and were told to soundly **** off by Watford of course.
Reports were we had 3 bids rejected

Apparently he had agreed to join us but Watford offered him a new much improved deal and he opted to stay.

Have you got what Boc has? I mean, we won the title playing 2 up front. I would say it suits him perfectly.

I would like to see Mitrovic and Vardy up front together.
I think he misses too many sitters. He's okay and better than what we currently have in terms of back up but I'm not convinced by him in the same way as I'm not convinced by Rondon.

did we not try and sign him just after we were promoted and Watford were in the Championship not sure?
Has Puel not said he does not need anyone and the squad is fine? maybe he thinks Nacho will come good.

Rondon and Mitrovic have both been inept for most of their time in the Premier League. They then score a few goals and suddenly they're flavour of the month.

We have a striker - Slimani - that is every bit as good as both of these players but who doesn't fit our managers plans and doesn't work alongside Vardy anyway. So what makes anyone think that these two alternatives would be any different?

We also have another striker - Iheanacho - who is far superior to all these names but who is currently going through a lean spell no different to one all of these others have gone through. Why not just stick with the better player and back him until he proves his value?

We've already dumped two perfectly good strikers in Kramaric and Musa for the same reasons.

Rondon and Mitrovic have both been inept for most of their time in the Premier League. They then score a few goals and suddenly they're flavour of the month.

We have a striker - Slimani - that is every bit as good as both of these players but who doesn't fit our managers plans and doesn't work alongside Vardy anyway. So what makes anyone think that these two alternatives would be any different?

We also have another striker - Iheanacho - who is far superior to all these names but who is currently going through a lean spell no different to one all of these others have gone through. Why not just stick with the better player and back him until he proves his value?

We've already dumped two perfectly good strikers in Kramaric and Musa for the same reasons.
They’re different types of players though, BN. Who says we can’t have both? A good squad has variety, for when things need changing up.

They’re different types of players though, BN. Who says we can’t have both? A good squad has variety, for when things need changing up.

A Rondon or a Mitrovic are pretty similar to a Slimani or a Ulloa. They're lead the line forwards that are more physical to deal with, and they hold the ball up. They are most effective in the centre rather than running the channels.

Puel has no interest whatsoever in this type of player. He'd never sign someone like this so I don't get why we are speculating about it. It will never happen under him. Other names I've read about include Llorente who is another one of this type. We might think that this sort of option would be a good idea, but it won't happen.

Souness said something really interesting commenting on our game on Monday. He was talking about Vardy and how hard it is to be a striker nowadays, especially in a team that isn't in the top six. Strikers are a dying breed in today's Premier League. There are very few of them left and those that are around don't tend to be the key players in their teams any more.

If we want to adapt to what Puel is trying to do, we have to acknowledge that Vardy is being accommodated by him, against his better judgement. In an ideal world, I don't think that Puel would have a striker at all. He's tried adapting forwards to more support type roles or midfielders/wingers to play up front because that's the style that he thinks is right.

We haven't signed one striker since Puel has been here and we've let several go. There is a hint there.

A Rondon or a Mitrovic are pretty similar to a Slimani or a Ulloa. They're lead the line forwards that are more physical to deal with, and they hold the ball up. They are most effective in the centre rather than running the channels.

Puel has no interest whatsoever in this type of player. He'd never sign someone like this so I don't get why we are speculating about it. It will never happen under him. Other names I've read about include Llorente who is another one of this type. We might think that this sort of option would be a good idea, but it won't happen.

Souness said something really interesting commenting on our game on Monday. He was talking about Vardy and how hard it is to be a striker nowadays, especially in a team that isn't in the top six. Strikers are a dying breed in today's Premier League. There are very few of them left and those that are around don't tend to be the key players in their teams any more.

If we want to adapt to what Puel is trying to do, we have to acknowledge that Vardy is being accommodated by him, against his better judgement. In an ideal world, I don't think that Puel would have a striker at all. He's tried adapting forwards to more support type roles or midfielders/wingers to play up front because that's the style that he thinks is right.

We haven't signed one striker since Puel has been here and we've let several go. There is a hint there.
Who said the suggestions were what we expect Puel to do, though? That’s a separate discussion, as far as I’m concerned. It’s similar to people suggesting we should try 3 at the back, something else which Puel isn’t going to do.

One could also suggest that proposing 11 changes for the Cardiff game was a similar thing....

That’s because we had five when he arrived, and he only wants to play with one up front. Not because he doesn’t want to play with a striker at all.

Is that the perfectly good Musa that’s now playing in the Saudi Arabian league because no one wanted him?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Ipswich4389
2Leicester4288
3Leeds Utd4387
4Southampton4284
5West Brom4372
6Norwich City4371
7Hull City4265
8Coventry City4263