The Plymouth Abandonment - an open letter to Peter Jones

Status
Not open for further replies.

bocadillo

Water Gypsy
With regard to the announcement about the 'to-be-rearranged' Plymouth match, I thought I would drop you a note to let you know how this has been welcomed by fans.

It is completely in the nature of a football fan to be a cynical beast - "nobody cares about us" - isn't that the way the story goes? We put ourselves through the hardships of three long trips in a week, not because we are in search of any reward; rather more we hope for no reward at all, just so we can moan about the degradation of it all. Then the club starts rolling out players and even the manager to say how much they admire us on the official website and in the local paper - are we impressed? - are we heck!! Talk is cheap and our disparaging attitude is so ingrained that we ignore the club's efforts.

In light of this, it is noteworthy that there is an overwhelming welcoming of the decision to give free entrance to ticket-holders for the rearranged game and for arrangements to be made for free Fox Travel even for those who made their own way to the first game - thanks go to both Plymouth Argyle and Leicester City for these offers.

But I think what has most startled and most pleased the fans is the speed at which the decisions were taken. There has been no ummming-and-arrring, seemingly no long sessions of bean-counting on a calculator - no, the decision was taken and announced even before fans had reached Plymouth railway station or the A38. And thanks to the wonders of modern technology, we all found out about it very quickly - I don't think you can imagine how much it did to lift the gloom, how much drier we felt because of this. I am as aware as you are that the club is anxious about its relationship with the fans; this action, which can only be seen as reactive and instantaneous rather than laboured and calculated, will surely give a great boost.

I would be pleased if you would pass my thanks and the thanks of my fellow-supporter on to the appropriate people at the Football Club and also to Plymouth Argyle Football Club.

(forwarded to Peter Jones by email)

Ah, that's lovely. Well done Boc.

Yorkshire Vixen said:
well put old boy :038: ;)

Too much ageism on this board today if you ask me!!

My Letter...

Dear Peter,

ta.

Regards

Babylon

Neat contrast with Burnley, eh? The strong suspicion remains that that game only kicked off so they wouldn't have to give ticketholders a refund. "Where there's rain, there's brass." Yeah, well done to LCFC and Plymouth. Thing is Bob, are you gonna go via Leicester to get the free travel?!

Polar Bear said:
Neat contrast with Burnley, eh? The strong suspicion remains that that game only kicked off so they wouldn't have to give ticketholders a refund. "Where there's rain, there's brass." Yeah, well done to LCFC and Plymouth. Thing is Bob, are you gonna go via Leicester to get the free travel?!

It would certainly be cheaper to do it that way - but there's always the chance that I might finish up having to sit next to webbo or bernie

I think I'll leave the decision for a while!!

bocadillo said:
It would certainly be cheaper to do it that way - but there's always the chance that I might finish up having to sit next to webbo or bernie

thats a bit harsh on jeff boc :102:

bocadillo said:

There's no chance you'll have to sit next to me - unless you go on the train again!

webmaster said:
There's no chance you'll have to sit next to me - unless you go on the train again!

Webbo

I think you should have a word with whichever of your moderators is editing people's postings without their knowledge or consent!

For the record, Webbo and I have sat opposite or adjacent on several journeys and I would be happy for the tradition to continue.

Yes,

Fair play to LCFC and PAFC... Must be costing City a fair bit rolling on free coaches for the replay as well as extending the deal to those who also made their own way there.... 10/10!!!!

bocadillo said:
For the record, Webbo and I have sat opposite or adjacent on several journeys, staring blissfully into one and others eyes holding hands, and I for one would be happy for the tradition to continue.
Who says romance is dead eh?:love: :wilted_ro :kiss2: :055: :kiss: :049: :060: :007: :008:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670