The School System

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think the main problem is the strict curriculum the teachers HAVE to follow. In the last 10 years the freedom of teaching and variation has been taken away from them and they just have to follow this strict code in order to do well in these stupid league tables.

Having four teachers in my close family I can see the frustration this leads to.

Last edited:
Damn those teachers, damn them to hell. They don't care about education.

I'm sure they are only in it for the chicks, fast cars and drugs.

In my experience, it's the young "I'm here to change the world, and I have a qualification to prove it" theachers that are the bloody problem.

Give me an old experienced teacher who's seen it all anyday.

I've skimmed read this thread, so don't have much of a clue on what's going on. But whatever it is I think this is a very good point.

I know quite a few people, same age as me (mid twenties), got their PGCE but seemed totally out of their depth to take up a role as a teacher. I always felt that an important aspect of teaching is holding the classes attention, and that most 'maturer' teachers were able to do this with anecdotes relating to the subject matter (hence Maths is a shite subject)... edit: this is not a dig at Hazzman's credentials!

Last edited:
I know quite a few people, same age as me (mid twenties), got their PGCE but seemed totally out of their depth to take up a role as a teacher. I always felt that an important aspect of teaching is holding the classes attention, and that most 'maturer' teachers were able to do this with anecdotes relating to the subject matter

Older teachers have something that younger ones won't have for many years. Life experience. It goes a long way IMHO.

...most 'maturer' teachers were able to do this with anecdotes relating to the subject matter (hence Maths is a shite subject)... edit: this is not a dig at Hazzman's credentials!

I'm confused, is Hazz even aware of these credentials?

Older teachers have something that younger ones won't have for many years. Life experience. It goes a long way IMHO.

I agree completely and the missus didn't speak to me for a month when I told her I didn't agree with people going straight from Uni to teaching. For the record I think there are a lot of good experienced teachers, all the way up to the ones soon retiring, but there are a few bad apples that can bring down the ethos of the whole school if not properly managed and it can be quite devastating to a childs education, especially in the formative years that currently affect the Melton household.

Also I agree with Melts, it's not about being their friend, but you do generally find less enthusiam in older teachers.

Last edited:
When I go to parent teacher meetings all the teachers seen to be girls in their early 20s. It has it's compensations but I sometimes wonder if the kids would be better off with someone older.

if you think the way i post is the same way i write or even type then your mistaken. i cant be arsed with anything but basic punctuation and grammar on here.

I really don't understand this attitude, if true.

Why would you be happy for people to misunderstand the point that you're trying to make when it takes no extra effort?

because i think people can understand the words cant and dont when i sometimes forgot to put a '-its not like i do this when it matters.

because i think people can understand the words cant and dont when i sometimes forgot to put a '-its not like i do this when it matters.

What about your use of the word "your" when you mean "you're" :102:

:icon_bigg

...you do generally find less enthusiam in older teachers.
Let's stick to Primary, seeing as this is where the thread starter has the kid, and there you will find a wealth of talented and dedicated members of staff across a load of schools.

In my humble experience of 12 years teaching - the newly qualified tykes are all mouth and trousers. Kids love an all singing, all dancing bells and whistles class, it entertains them...but amazingly they learn next to f*ck all.

Stick them in front of someone who understands how to differentiate to 32 kids, someone caring that does the job for more than the money, and they will blossom.

I feel for you Melts. There are schools where (for a whole host of reasons) things are going tits up...and I suggest you move or become personally involved by joining the Governors.

In my experience, failing schools also demonstrate a lack of parental involvement and one of the key targets when taking over a failing school is to rectify this. Once the parents buy in to improving the place other things start to fall into line (shortly after the shite staff are eased out of the door).

I hope you find a solution...but the highest achievers will always be better off in the Private sector.

Disco Bob a teacher??? This can't be right.

"Those that can do, those that can't teach" Where does Disco Bob fit into this truism? Eh? Eh? Eh?

Now I'm just confused, and to think I wished that you were my Dad

Status
Not open for further replies.

P Pld Pts
1Manchester C  412
2Arsenal410
3Newcastle410
4Liverpool49
5Aston Villa49
6Brighton48
7Nottm F48
8Chelsea47