There is no such thing as "Football"

Status
Not open for further replies.
"Today, a young man on acid realized that all matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration. That we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively. There is no such thing as death, life is only a dream and we're the imagination of ourselves."

I always find it surprising how well behaved top footballers are compared with other "celebrities". Arguably the greatest footballers of all time were Pele and Di Stefano. Both have lived blameless lives. It is not surprising that Maradona turned out unpleasant and George Best wasted his talent; the surprise is that Johann Cruyff, Bobby Charlton and Lionel Messi turned out so well.

A boy is approached by football clubs at Primary School age - an appalling situation. At Secondary School he knows what his career is going to be and that GCSE results are irrelevant to him. . Whatever his intelligence and however sensible his character this is going to taking the edge off his education compared with classmates.

The young footballer has a corrosive mixture of high aggression, lack of education, status and lots of money. Ben Marshall may buy a top quality car but there are worse things a privileged young man can do with his money.

At Secondary School he knows what his career is going to be

The vast majority of footballers who are with clubs at school don't get taken on as trainees. The vast majority of those who are taken on as trainees are released without ever getting a professional contract.

To make it you have to have the right temperament, be dedicated and hard working, as well as having the right ability.
If you have a bad attitude as a kid you're unlikely to ever become a professional, no matter how good you are. So something must happen once they become professionals that leads them to make the wrong choice. The obvious things to blame are money and fame, but maybe the clubs should be doing more to help young players handle it.

The vast majority of footballers who are with clubs at school don't get taken on as trainees. The vast majority of those who are taken on as trainees are released without ever getting a professional contract.

To make it you have to have the right temperament, be dedicated and hard working, as well as having the right ability.
If you have a bad attitude as a kid you're unlikely to ever become a professional, no matter how good you are. So something must happen once they become professionals that leads them to make the wrong choice. The obvious things to blame are money and fame, but maybe the clubs should be doing more to help young players handle it.

There's obviously a few exceptions though. During his school days Mr Chopra was an absolute arrogant cock end who was going to be better than Shearer.

There's obviously a few exceptions though. During his school days Mr Chopra was an absolute arrogant cock end who was going to be better than Shearer.

A better human being probably. Did Chopra ever kick someone in the head and then make all sorts of threats to get away with it?

Did Chopra ever kick someone in the head and then make all sorts of threats to get away with it?

No, but he was calling your lass ugly when he was messaging me on facebook last week Spion. I wouldn't stand for it if I was you, you should kick his head in

I have to take issue with the thread title. There definitely is such a thing as football. I've seen loads of it.

Chopra is far more arrogant than that lovely Mr. Shearer, he is better than a Pele/Messi gestalt but so arrogant he plays for shit teams and refuses to win the world cup for his country

No, but he was calling your lass ugly when he was messaging me on facebook last week Spion. I wouldn't stand for it if I was you, you should kick his head in

In fairness......................

:icon_wink

The implied assertion being that a set of quotation marks changes the meaning? What bollocks. Next you'll be telling me to read the article you linked to so I can get it into context.

Why don't you go and play in the fast lane of the M1, ffs try to back football fans and you get these non-football fools piping up :bang:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669