They're talking about us

Matt Gillies was my first manager, still remember that 60/61 season like it was yesterday, all the cup replays and the dropping of Ken Leek on the eve of the Cup Final, the injury to Chopper Chalmers still think we would have ruined the double with eleven fit men.
I was born in 64 so before my time but I remember as a young lad having older fans explain to me what i always thought was a pretty baffling loathing of Spurs amongst our lot.

It confused me as there was obviously no geographical rivalry & nothing had happened recently to justify it.

Of course as I've got older there have been plenty of " ****ing Spurs ****s ! " moments but I guess 61 was where it started. Loathsome, entitled club. Took me a fair while to work it out.

I don’t see much wrong with what he has said
If Villa win the title it’ll be a tremendous achievement and, in my view, good for football in this country in general. I hope they do it. But it’s nothing like 2016. Speaking of the two as if they’re the same thing is just daft.

It’s also disrespectful to pretend City won the title in 2016 because nobody else showed up, just as it is to suggest the same this season is why Villa are in the mix. Villa are there because they’re one of the best sides in the country, not because the Manchester clubs can’t be arsed.

If Villa win the title it’ll be a tremendous achievement and, in my view, good for football in this country in general. I hope they do it. But it’s nothing like 2016. Speaking of the two as if they’re the same thing is just daft.

It’s also disrespectful to pretend City won the title in 2016 because nobody else showed up, just as it is to suggest the same this season is why Villa are in the mix. Villa are there because they’re one of the best sides in the country, not because the Manchester clubs can’t be arsed.
The only comparison was made that in both seasons the big clubs weren’t firing on all cylinders. Which is true isn’t it?

The only comparison was made that in both seasons the big clubs weren’t firing on all cylinders. Which is true isn’t it?
Well… not really, no. There was a time I bought into that myth about 2016, and I’m not having it about this season either. Villa started today third behind Arsenal and Liverpool. Six points separates the top five. The “big clubs” have their troubles but they always do. It’s not unusual.

In 2016 Arsenal thought they’d won it in February — so casually confident were they that we were treated to those now-infamous group photos in the dressing room. At the end of the season, behind us were four teams separated by five points — all expensively-assembled “big six” clubs. They weren’t shit, our lads were just collectively better.

Well… not really, no. There was a time I bought into that myth about 2016, and I’m not having it about this season either. Villa started today third behind Arsenal and Liverpool. Six points separates the top five. The “big clubs” have their troubles but they always do. It’s not unusual.

In 2016 Arsenal thought they’d won it in February — so casually confident were they that we were treated to those now-infamous group photos in the dressing room. At the end of the season, behind us were four teams separated by five points — all expensively-assembled “big six” clubs. They weren’t shit, our lads were just collectively better.
Villa also haven't come off the back of being regarded as certainties for relegation the previous March & favourites to go down in the current season. They also haven't made a managerial appointment more or less universally regarded as either a) a mistake or b) an irrelevance

Villa finished 7th last season FFS. Missed the Europa spots by 1 point.

They also haven't mounted a title challenge with a transfer spend of two bob.

We came from literally nowhere. They haven't.

There is no comparison whatsoever.

Anyone suggesting that there is, is being a ****. & they're doing it deliberately.

Villa also haven't come off the back of being regarded as certainties for relegation the previous March & favourites to go down in the current season. They also haven't made a managerial appointment more or less universally regarded as either a) a mistake or b) an irrelevance

Villa finished 7th last season FFS. Missed the Europa spots by 1 point.

They also haven't mounted a title challenge with a transfer spend of two bob.

We came from literally nowhere. They haven't.

There is no comparison whatsoever.

Anyone suggesting that there is, is being a ****. & they're doing it deliberately.
You might want to watch the video again. Or more likely, watch it for the first time.

One of the biggest things that annoys me about our title winning season is the narrative that “big” teams weren’t performing. One of the most celebrated title winning teams was Man Utd’s treble winning team and yet we got more points than them in our title winning season and they were also in a supposed mega struggle with Arsenal too that year. People just don’t want to accept what happened, IMO.

I fear that the narrative will always be comparing anyone that isn't us with us if they haven't won the PL recently. It's lazy and wrong but will probably be used long after we're all in the ground. I guess that's the point.

From the BBC report on last night:
1703328541880.png

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669