Todays Ref...............

Status
Not open for further replies.
webmaster said:
I wish people would stop talking about the 'last man', there's nothing in the laws of the game to say that.
If it was a clear goalscoring opportunity it's a red card offence, whether the defender was the last man or not. If the player was about to shoot and had a clear shot on goal, that would count as a goalscoring opportunity.

This is the bit from the laws of the game regarding red card offences:

"5. denies an obvious goalscoring opportunity to an opponent moving towards the player’s goal by an offence punishable by a free kick or a penalty kick"

oooh get you!! keep yer wig on!! :icon_lol:

webmaster said:
I wish people would stop talking about the 'last man', there's nothing in the laws of the game to say that.
If it was a clear goalscoring opportunity it's a red card offence, whether the defender was the last man or not. If the player was about to shoot and had a clear shot on goal, that would count as a goalscoring opportunity.

"5. denies an obvious goalscoring opportunity to an opponent moving towards the player’s goal by an offence punishable by a free kick or a penalty kick"

I am sure you are right Webbo, but every week you hear a TV/radio commontator refer to this as if it was gospel e.g. "what do you think Andy was Brown the last man".

Not many of us are interested enough to read the rules in such detail, I susepct most are like me and picked them up playing and watching - amending them as they changed.

However, I do have to say that when it happens my perception is that the many Referee's do seem to take it in to account when they decide whether to send players off. Also surely the Goalkeeper should go in every instance where he brings a player down according to the rule?

webmaster said:

so we should of had a free kick coz that ferker dived :biggrin: :icon_razz :083:

Cate Fox said:
.... was a midget and a disgrace.... much like the rest of them really

What? All midgets are a disgrace?

Not sure what the pc police would say to your dissing of 'persons of diminutive stature'....:018:

i doubt it somehow she is one of the vertically challenged people :icon_bigg

webmaster said:

Sorry Webbo I obviously do not have as much time on my hands as you to read all of the 'official' rules :icon_roll. But even reading the above it was not an obvious goal scoring opportunity as he did not have control of the ball, not sure if it was a penalty (no more than O'Grady being pulled down later in the game which was not given), but no way was it a sending off, last man or goal scoring opportunity.
The rule above would also suggest that arund 9/10 times (sorry these are not official figures just a suggestion) if the keeper gives away a penalty that he should be sent off and that just doesn't happen.

As a former referee This 'last man' term irritates the hell out of me. It is the likes of the scottish idiot on MOTD who has no idea of the rules of the game or how they should be applied and interperated, who coined it.

I beleive that programs such as MOTD should have a referee on the panel, after all they have managers, coaches, players, chairmen but never referees and like it or not they are an integral part of the game. (End of rant!)

(I have other rants too - Ban the offside law is one of them!)

I didn't go on Saturday so I can't comment on his overall performance, but I saw it on the os this morning and I have to say that most referees would have given a penalty and sent him off, as would I, much as it pains me.

And I'd give you all a yellow card for moaning! Oh the power...... (-:

Kettering Pete said:
As a former referee This 'last man' term irritates the hell out of me. It is the likes of the scottish idiot on MOTD who has no idea of the rules of the game or how they should be applied and interperated, who coined it.

I beleive that programs such as MOTD should have a referee on the panel, after all they have managers, coaches, players, chairmen but never referees and like it or not they are an integral part of the game. (End of rant!)

(I have other rants too - Ban the offside law is one of them!)

I didn't go on Saturday so I can't comment on his overall performance, but I saw it on the os this morning and I have to say that most referees would have given a penalty and sent him off, as would I, much as it pains me.

And I'd give you all a yellow card for moaning! Oh the power...... (-:

MOTD 2 has had ex refs on before and I agree they should be used more, but you do not hear many slaging off thier own do you?
I have not had the chance to see a replay of the penalty, so I am only going on what I saw live just like the ref, although to be fair I was closer than he was and looking at it from the front and that is my main problem with it being given. No way could he tell from his position, the linesman was not even consulted and surely you need to be certain to send him off. I may not have an 'ins and outs' knowlege of the rules and can not believe that my 'last man' comment would have the response it has (almost as bad as the wavy finger cr*p for bad spelling!!), but having watched and played football for many years I have a fairly good idea of the rules and IMO it was less of a penalty than the one not given on O'Grady. For the record I do not think that one was a penalty either, but the ref set the standard in the first half.
The ref has got a very hard job and can make or break a game for a team, but the overall standard this year has been bad. I am bound to biased towards City, but time after time I also laught at fouls given our way too.

Naughty Fox said:
MOTD 2 has had ex refs on before and I agree they should be used more, but you do not hear many slaging off thier own do you?
I have not had the chance to see a replay of the penalty, so I am only going on what I saw live just like the ref, although to be fair I was closer than he was and looking at it from the front and that is my main problem with it being given. No way could he tell from his position, the linesman was not even consulted and surely you need to be certain to send him off. I may not have an 'ins and outs' knowlege of the rules and can not believe that my 'last man' comment would have the response it has (almost as bad as the wavy finger cr*p for bad spelling!!), but having watched and played football for many years I have a fairly good idea of the rules and IMO it was less of a penalty than the one not given on O'Grady. For the record I do not think that one was a penalty either, but the ref set the standard in the first half.
The ref has got a very hard job and can make or break a game for a team, but the overall standard this year has been bad. I am bound to biased towards City, but time after time I also laught at fouls given our way too.

Like I said previously, he only sent him off AFTER Hulse had "had a word" with him. If the ref had been stronger he wouldn't have gone off. Also I genuinly do think they want Leeds back up in the Premiership.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669