Too many signings?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Were we not to have purchased a new defence, who would we be playing?

GK - Wheel
RB - Waggeh
LB - Waggeh
CB - Waggeh
CB - Waggeh

RM - Waggeh
LM - Waggeh
CM - Waggeh
CM - Waggeh

ST - Waggeh
ST - Howard

Plenty ov pashun!

We don't look comfortable with the ball, we pass, pass, pass, pass, etc, - thrown-in. Then pass, pass etc, - goal kick. Someone has to take responsiibility, in fact they all need to take responsibility, if we sit back and pass, pass, pass etc. and get stuffed, someone may as well say feck this, lets try and put the ball in the danger areas and more importantly, someone has to say feck this and RUN in to the danger areas - (these areas would be nearer the goal than the centre circle and the ten yards either side that we flood with players who pass it 25 times then hoof it out of play or over Nugents head.

I am hoping Michael Johnson adds some drive and purpose when he's fit.

I think this is a spurious argument. After all, Sven has managed three different international teams and what are they if not a collection of players from all over the place who come together as a team, usually with far less preparation that we've had?

If the system is set (and ours is at 4-5-1/4-3-3) and the players understand it, what's the problem? There are details that improve from players being very aware of each other but it's highly unlikely to make much difference at this level.

If good players in a set formation play like goons and strangers, there is usually a problem with confidence or authority. Or in our case, I suspect, both. There are players whose form is incredibly erratic at the moment. For example, Fernandes was apparently outstanding against Cov, but has been dung in the two home games. This is due to a lack of clear direction and authority dictating his role and responsibilities. Someone like Waghorn is clearly bereft of confidence. His comment the other day that Sven has never started him so he's used to coming off the bench, spoke volumes.

Sven has to take control of the dressing room and make each player responsible for a specific position and role in the team. My own opinion is that we need a quality first team coach and we've been without one since Powell departed and this has been a major oversight. Sven then needs to believe in the players he selects and give them confidence, after all this is supposed to be his greatest managerial gift. If he does these things, we'll be fine. If he doesn't, it will surprise me if he's here for his first anniversary.

I have never known a successful side to sign ten players plus in the Summer.

QPR last season.

1. Jamie Mackie
2. Leon Clarke
3. Paddy Kenny
4. Shaun Derry
5. Clint Hill
6. Bradley Orr
7. Adel Taarabt
8. Rob Hule
9. Tommy Smith
10. Kyle Walker

Too many signings? With so many players left and others not up to the job,there was always going to be a big influx on players.

Looking at the back of the last 2 programs, Reading and Bristol City have bigger squads than us.

To be fair to Sven, he has had to do a lot of wheeling and dealing,so it must of been hard on him getting the players in he wants,i still think we need 3 more signings,a striker,a pacey right sided winger and a creative midfielder,then i think we should have strength in depth.

It was obvious that the team would take some time to stop having to remind each other of their names when they walked out onto the pitch. min 5 games. E.G. how can a midfielder know instinctively where his forwards are going to run to without playing behind them for a few games?

it has occured to me that this is a fair sum of cash we have paid out this summer, but if you think ava 1m per player (approx) its not a great deal if the spending over the previous 5 years is factored in, what was the biggest spend per year in the last 5? doesnt look so large if divided by 5?

It was obvious that the team would take some time to stop having to remind each other of their names when they walked out onto the pitch. min 5 games. E.G. how can a midfielder know instinctively where his forwards are going to run to without playing behind them for a few games?

it has occured to me that this is a fair sum of cash we have paid out this summer, but if you think ava 1m per player (approx) its not a great deal if the spending over the previous 5 years is factored in, what was the biggest spend per year in the last 5? doesnt look so large if divided by 5?
What?

If you divide the number of players we have signed by five, the answer (2 ish) doesn't look so big. Works for me anyway.

If we divide by 100 it's 0.1, rounded that is 0. Why the **** haven't we signed anyone this summer. It's like the Hitch-hikers Guide rule all over again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669