Top and the Mockery speak

Status
Not open for further replies.

Steven

Determination to deliver Premier League football is still Top of the agenda for City

Leicester City vice-chairman Aiyawatt Raksriaksorn has pledged his full commitment to the club as they plot their rise to the Premier League. In a frank interview with the Mercury, Raksriaksorn, known as 'Top', revealed his thoughts on City's disappointing season, the decision to replace manager Sven-Goran Eriksson with Nigel Pearson and his determination to see the job through.

What are your reflections on this season?

Disappointing. It has not been the season we envisaged when we started our first game with Sven-Goran Eriksson as manager. But we have made many changes in the team. We made the decision to change manager to Nigel and we believe it was the right decision. We stand by that decision totally. We know the fans have endured some frustrations this season. In the season, we had some good games and some bad games. We did reach an FA Cup quarter-final and we retained a chance of reaching a place in the play-offs right up until the last handful of games. Overall, we didn't reach our target, but I could see us getting better in how we play and how Nigel works with the team. We will be better.

You invested so much money in the squad during last summer, were you expecting instant success?

Many people have chased instant success and equally many have tasted disappointment. What I want to get across is that we are determined to deliver sustainable long-term success for the club. It is step by step, not just one chance for success. There are no rash promises or guarantees. For anyone to say that there are is being foolish. Of course, it is our ambition to deliver Premier League football but there is no set time-scale to achieve that – other than we would like it to be sooner rather than later. We have invested in the infrastructure of the team. We want to build a good team together to bring success, on and off the pitch.

Do you feel City have made progress this season?

This league is so competitive, but I think we have made many changes in the last two seasons around the club. You can't see the result of the investment in just one season, but we can see progress and the manager has brought so much to the team. Now it is getting better.

Do you and your father remain committed to Leicester City?

Let me assure all City fans that we are both as committed to Leicester City as we were on the first day we arrived at the club. I said then that my father and I came here because we love sport, we love football and we try to make this team better in every aspect. We came here for the long-term because we plan for many things. There will be ups and downs along the way but we are determined to deliver success. The support which the club has enjoyed from all its supporters has impressed us greatly, and we are determined to repay the faith.

Do you retain the passion for getting City into the Premier League?

The passion we feel is every bit as strong as the passion of every City supporter to achieve Premier League status. That passion is just as strong, if not stronger, since we came into this business. We love Leicester City and we love English football. The challenges of the past season serve only to spur us on even more to achieve success.

You have invested heavily in terms of loans to the club, can you understand supporters' concerns over the increased debt the club owes King Power and what would happen if you walked away?

I am not going to leave the club like some have mentioned. I will stay and still support the club financially.

We are here to see it through, long-term. We will continue our funding for the club, although it would be foolish at the same time not to develop the club's other revenue streams. Legislation being brought in by the Football League means there will be more rigid financial parameters for each Championship club to adhere to. We will manage the club appropriately within these guidelines while continuing to demonstrate our support across all levels.

How long are you planning ahead for the club?

There is not a set plan as such, but we are in this for the long haul. As long as we are here, we will try to make the club better for the long-term. Our objective is to deliver a long-term sustainable plan of progression and development to the club. I hope it is very long because I am just in my mid-20s. I have a lot of time to work here. Along the way there will be some ups and downs, that is always the case with everything in life. We've already had a few ups and downs but we are as determined as ever to be successful. We have invested substantially in the club and will continue to do so.

Do you regret changing managers so early in the season?

We made the decision in the best interest of the club at what we believed was the right time to do so. It is always a big decision to change manager and one which we did not take lightly. Yes, we believe it was the right decision and that Nigel will continue to take us forward and help us deliver the objectives.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669