3. Peter Shilton
4. Matt Elliott
5. Keith Weller
6. Tank Cross
7. Neil Lennon
8. Muzzy Izet
9. Gary MacAlister
10. Rodney Fern

No disrespect - but if the descriptor extends to "all time" legends then I would have thought that going back a bit...Gordon Banks, further back Arthur Rowley and still further back Arthur Chandler (holder of the club scoring record - as distinct from Arthur Rowley's Football League record) were certainties.... compared with Rodney Fern who was a popular and cheerful local lad player but struggled to make the first team in a relegation year!

Redditch Fox said:
No disrespect - but if the descriptor extends to "all time" legends then I would have thought that going back a bit...Gordon Banks, further back Arthur Rowley and still further back Arthur Chandler (holder of the club scoring record - as distinct from Arthur Rowley's Football League record) were certainties.... compared with Rodney Fern who was a popular and cheerful local lad player but struggled to make the first team in a relegation year!
Legend is personal thing. If Dikan isn't old enough to remember these players, nor care, why would they be his legends?

Shilton took Banks' first team place while he was still a kid, plus he was the local lad, we got Banks from Chesterfield (IIRC)

Banks might have the World Cup winner's medal, but Shilton is the real legend.

For the record my 10 were:

Shilton
Walsh
Nish (as much for his work on the youth side as his playing days)
Worthington
McCallister
Mauchlen
Ormondroyd(the lad is a legend, even if it is for all the wrong reasons ;-)
Lineker
Chandler
Rowley

I didn't see all of these players play, but these are the guys we still seem to talk about to this day. I deliberately didn't name anyone still playing because they need to pass that test of time (Lennon, Elliott, Izzet good candidates to do so of course)

Last edited:
Melton Fox said:
Legend is personal thing. If Dikan isn't old enough to remember these players, nor care, why would they be his legends?

I think you are missing my point.

If we are going to talk about "all time legends" then we ought to give the matter some thought and respect and that means people finding out something about the club's history..after all there are reference books.

In my opinion anyone who purports to support LCFC should be aware, for example, that Chandler holds the goal scoring record and indeed if I had the time i would write more about the stars of the side that challenged for the (proper) championship - not the misnamed, phoney 'championship' that we have now. Not that i saw the team in the late 1930's but I was told and read about them.

For what it is worth my 10 post war (Chandler included because he remained on the payroll post war) would be:

Banks
Shilton

Cross

Weller
Gibson
Sep Smith

Rowley
Chandler
Lineker
Worthington

Why, that's the past. I don't care what happened to Leicester City at the turn of the century, or the 20's and 30's.

That's not my life, I don't care about the distant past, it bears no relevance for me. As Lazzer pointed out earlier, legend is undefinable, it's personal. I care about today and the future, the only history I care about is the history that still affects me today in some way, shape or form.

I didn't get to see these players play, nor did Diken (presumptious) I can only go on what old geezers tell me, I base my legends on my experience, not somebody elses

Melton Fox said:
Why, that's the past. I don't care what happened to Leicester City at the turn of the century, or the 20's and 30's.

That's not my life, I don't care about the distant past, it bears no relevance for me. As Lazzer pointed out earlier, legend is undefinable, it's personal. I care about today and the future, the only history I care about is the history that still affects me today in some way, shape or form.

I didn't get to see these players play, nor did Diken (presumptious) I can only go on what old geezers tell me, I base my legends on my experience, not somebody elses

it was me actually, that's me, the Legend - Joe_Fox :icon_lol:

Redditch Fox said:
I think you are missing my point.

If we are going to talk about "all time legends" then we ought to give the matter some thought and respect and that means people finding out something about the club's history..after all there are reference books.

In my opinion anyone who purports to support LCFC should be aware, for example, that Chandler holds the goal scoring record and indeed if I had the time i would write more about the stars of the side that challenged for the (proper) championship - not the misnamed, phoney 'championship' that we have now. Not that i saw the team in the late 1930's but I was told and read about them.

For what it is worth my 10 post war (Chandler included because he remained on the payroll post war) would be:

i think the point is that people are chosing "their" all time legends. there would be no point in me chosing someone like Worthington because i never even saw him lpay and would have no ground on which to base my argument. the same goes for every other player before my time.

this isn't about chosing LCFC's all time legends, it's about finding out who the people of this message board deserve to be in that top 10 from their own experiences.

My 10 are on their way.

Joe_Fox said:
it was me actually, that's me, the Legend - Joe_Fox :icon_lol:
I was under the impression you two were the same person :102:

Nathan said:
i think the point is that people are chosing "their" all time legends. there would be no point in me chosing someone like Worthington because i never even saw him lpay and would have no ground on which to base my argument. the same goes for every other player before my time.

this isn't about chosing LCFC's all time legends, it's about finding out who the people of this message board deserve to be in that top 10 from their own experiences.

My 10 are on their way.
totally agree, I picked players that were 'legends' to me mainly with others that i knew had served the club. There would be no point in me picking chandler as although i know what he did i have never seen any evidenceof him actually doing it.

Melton Fox said:

Well in that case - its not about "all time legends" - using your 'logic' we could finish up with someone nominating 10 nondescripts from the present squad....on the basis that they only got out of their pram this season. I would think about it a bit more carefully...on this occasion.

Hazzman said:
I picked my legends based on overall history and I can assure you, Rowley and Chandler are in there.

But Chandler got banned from this forum, he was funny but no feckin legend Hazz :icon_bigg

i want a personal selection from each poster based on their own feelings.I need some of you regulars who still havent entered to Pm me asap you know who you are so come on get posting

:075:

Redditch Fox said:
Well in that case - its not about "all time legends" - using your 'logic' we could finish up with someone nominating 10 nondescripts from the present squad....on the basis that they only got out of their pram this season. I would think about it a bit more carefully...on this occasion.

none of the current squad are legends

Redditch Fox said:
I'm not using "logic" to select my Top 10 legends. I'm using emotions, feelings & personal experience.

And so what if some of the younger members of the forum that have "only just got out their prams" choose more recent players, that is their perogative as City supporters, and is none of our concern

Last edited:
In no particular order:

1. Gavin Ward
2. Kasey Keller
3. Steve Walsh
4. Matty Elliott
5. Muzzy Izzet
6. Neil Lennon
7. Ian Marshall
8. Steve Claridge
9. Emile Heskey
10. Steve Guppy

so what if worthington, weller etc etc were better than my legends? the people i chose are the ones that made me want to watch leicester city, the people i looked up to. generally made me proud to be a leicester fan.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Bournemouth00
2Arsenal00
3Aston Villa00
4Brentford00
5Brighton00
6Chelsea00
7Palace00
8Everton00