Pre Match Tottenham v Leicester

Status
Not open for further replies.
A serious question:

If Puel was to come out (NO Homer) in the press and state that this season was designed to get his players getting used to his style of play ant that next season he would be ready to release them from the shackles and with new players would play better football as we all want.

Would we want him to stay?

You're talking like he's just got here

He's been our manager since October 2017, FFS

Like, BN, I'm counting down the days til the useless fecker is finally booted out the door

Nope.

If that was his plan, surely he would have taken the two thirds of last season to embed his 'philosophy' and then use last summer to recruit the missing players to make it work?

No manager can afford to piss around for 18 months without consequences nowadays. Puel was sacked in less than a year by Southampton who, at that time, really didn't do that sort of thing. If he didn't learn from that, he's even more of an idiot than I thought.

The other point I'd make is that players don't sit around for years waiting for their managers to find themselves. Our better players will want to leave this summer unless we make a major statement of intent in terms of sacking Puel and bringing in a strong replacement.

Our squad is very good. I won't have it that we're not good enough for 7th place and 60 points. We have the talent and the proven ability. The manager just refuses to play to their strengths because he thinks he knows best. He's not going to suddenly stop being like this is we give him another summer.

I'm just counting down the games - 13 more of Puel-ball until we can begin to look forward to going to matches again.
100%.

Or “This”.

Or whatever it is nowadays.

My only worry is who would replace him. I can't think of anyone at present.

Anyone. Literally, anyone.
But that's really not true. At least with Puel we have some defensive solidity. Would people really prefer someone like Marco Silva at the minute? (and I thought he was a good appointment for Everton!)

But that's really not true. At least with Puel we have some defensive solidity. Would people really prefer someone like Marco Silva at the minute? (and I thought he was a good appointment for Everton!)

Out of interest...why did you think he was a good appointment for them? His previous two clubs he enjoyed the new manager bounce and then went to shit after 5 games. What did people see?

You're talking like he's just got here

He's been our manager since October 2017, FFS

Like, BN, I'm counting down the days til the useless fecker is finally booted out the door

Players and Puelis talk like he's been here 5 minutes and we're still learning. That's probably the most concerning thing.

Would people really prefer someone like Marco Silva at the minute? (and I thought he was a good appointment for Everton!)
No I wouldn’t (fair point) and I wouldn’t have at the start of the season. He’s a complete duffer.

My only worry is who would replace him. I can't think of anyone at present.
My preferences are Wilder, Wagner or Jokanovic.

If/When Puel goes you will see him replaced by someone with a similar possession based style, as that is what the owners want, most strongly linked is Brendan Rodgers

Back to topic:

3-2 Leicester. Izzet (2), Taggart

If/When Puel goes you will see him replaced by someone with a similar possession based style, as that is what the owners want, most strongly linked is Brendan Rodgers

A possession based style is absolutely fine if there's some purpose to it. Ours is possession based resulting in getting it wide and realising Vardy is no good in the air. Makes **** all sense really. There'll be managers out there that want possession but also end results.

A possession based style is absolutely fine if there's some purpose to it. Ours is possession based resulting in getting it wide and realising Vardy is no good in the air. Makes **** all sense really. There'll be managers out there that want possession but also end results.

Just to add to this. There was a moment in the manure game where we had the ball just outside their 6 yard box and managed to play it all the way back to the half way line. Fans should be excited when it gets that close to goal but you're not surprised when it goes back.

Vardy is actually very good in the air, what he won’t be good at is attacking hanging crosses, like I said it’s decision making instead of floating or hanging a cross they need to whip them lower or drill the ball across the box

Out of interest...why did you think he was a good appointment for them? His previous two clubs he enjoyed the new manager bounce and then went to shit after 5 games. What did people see?
*do

What do people see.
I don’t get the hype around Silva. After the initial few games, he’s proven that he’s a slightly shitter version of Martinez. At least his teams occasionally scored goals.

Players and Puelis talk like he's been here 5 minutes and we're still learning. That's probably the most concerning thing.
This is why I changed my mind about Puel. I supported him for a long time, I think he steadied things after a disastrous period, I agree with his goals, and appreciate his development of youth, but he has had enough time to instill his philosophy.

Unlike some I don't think he is a disaster, but sufficient time has passed to judge that he can't do any better. Progress will require a different manager.

*do

What do people see.
I don’t get the hype around Silva. After the initial few games, he’s proven that he’s a slightly shitter version of Martinez. At least his teams occasionally scored goals.
What a ludicrous statement.

The words slightly shitter than Mahrez, really?

I thought Riyad Mahrez did a good job when he managed Everton.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leeds Utd3882
2Leicester3782
3Ipswich3881
4Southampton3673
5West Brom3866
6Norwich City3861
7Hull City3758
8Coventry City3757