Tour De France

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hazzman

Now you can all call Wimbledon blind but this is the event. Brillaint to watch, grulling for the cyclists and drama to add.

Now Armstrong's gone...it's the first Tour with no out and out favourite. For the first time in donkey years, we have two Brits. Wiggins formely of velodrome riding and Millar coming back from his ban. Both are favourites for the time trialling stages.

It all starts with the Prologue in Strasbourg tomorrow, it will be on ITV 4. Gone are the days of Channel 4's great coverage.

However, a day before. The sport has been rocked by doping allegations, two favourites Jan Ullrich and Ivan Basso have been expelled from the competiton.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/other_sports/cycling/5132320.stm

Chelsea actually using doping and its all above board.

Last edited:
will ITV4 be showing the whole tour live do you know?

I've done Ventoux y'know:)

yeah, i'm no expert, but it's a great event.

MKFox said:
will ITV4 be showing the whole tour live do you know?

I've done Ventoux y'know:)

Using blood doping or not? :102: :102: :102: ;)

Hazzman said:
Now you can all call Wimbledon blind but this is the event. Brillaint to watch, grulling for the cyclists and drama to add.

Now Armstrong's gone...it's the first Tour with no out and out favourite. For the first time in donkey years, we have two Brits. Wiggins formely of velodrome riding and Millar coming back from his ban. Both are favourites for the time trialling stages.

It all starts with the Prologue in Strasbourg tomorrow, it will be on ITV 4. Gone are the days of Channel 4's great coverage.

However, a day before. The sport has been rocked by doping allegations, two favourites Jan Ullrich and Ivan Basso have been expelled from the competiton.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/other_sports/cycling/5132320.stm

Chelsea actually using doping and its all above board.

Thanks for the background info Asbo. I've never followed the TDF before and havn't a clue how it all works. I may just keep an eye on developments now though...

What is the Prologue?

How does tha main race work? Presumably it is split into stages but does everybody start at the same time of every stage or are points awarded at each stage end? :102:

The Voice From Above said:
How does tha main race work? Presumably it is split into stages but does everybody start at the same time of every stage or are points awarded at each stage end? :102:

It's times, not points that are recorded.
The person with the lowest collective time (race leader) gets to wear the yellow jersey.
However points do count on sprint stages, and the guy with the most points wears the green jersey.
The rider quickest through the mountains gets a polka dot jersey.

so it's all about clothes really....:icon_conf

MKFox said:
It's times, not points that are recorded.
The person with the lowest collective time (race leader) gets to wear the yellow jersey.
However points do count on sprint stages, and the guy with the most points wears the green jersey.
The rider quickest through the mountains gets a polka dot jersey.

so it's all about clothes really....:icon_conf

i see...so who wheres the pink shirt...? :102:

What is the Prologue?

A 'prologue' is usually something that happens before the event starts. To understand what the Prologue is in the TdF, it's important to understand how times are awarded in each stage.

Anybody who finishes a race without a significant gap (usually regarded as one bicycle's length) from the person in front is given the same time as that person - and if that person has also finished without a significant gap in front of him, he will also have been given the same time as the person in front of him. So we have three people all with the same time - and, because of the way that the Tour is ridden, it's not impossible to find 50 or more riders being given the same time for a stage; perhaps even more than that!

So, if there are close finishes every day, there will be lots of riders all with the same time in the 'overall classificiation'. To prevent this, they run a prologue at the start of the competition. This is an individual race over a short course - and because individuals all get there own times, the race proper is started with everybody on different times - it's just a way of splitting everybody up in the 'overall classification'.

To give further advantage to the leaders of stages and sprints, they are also given time bonuses; the first, second and third riders in each stage are given bonuses of 20,12 and 8 seconds which are deducted from their overall times, whilst the first three in each sprint are awarded 6. 4 and 2 seconds. It all helps split riders in a competition which has many, many close finsihes.

i see...so who wheres the pink shirt...? :102:

The Pink Jersey is to the Giro d'Italia what the Yellow Jersey is to the Tour de France. There is no pink jersey in the TdF.

Additional jerseys in the TdF are the White Jersey for the leading rider aged under 25 and the Rainbow Jersey (white with a multi-coloured striped hoop) which is worn by the reigning World Champion. Certain national champions are also allowed to wear their own national jerseys for specific stages.

Last edited:
It's really just a load of blokes riding their bikes up and down a few hills, isn't it ?

Be honest

"You lead for a bit",
"no you lead",
"alright then, but you lead in about a mile",
"OK",
"at what point shall we make it look exciting?",
"I don't know 3 miles from the finish?",
"Yep. that'll do".
"But lets pull away from the group first",
"OK, eh, we are going to pull away from the group now, anybody coming",
"no, just you 2 go",
"OK guys, see you at the finish we're off",