train advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

Darth Vodka

the name on the ticket i collect from a machine...(an open return)

does it have to be the name of the person travelling?

i'm thinking NOT, as i could buy a ticket for anyone

Do train tickets normally even have names on them? Not on the ones from my station, so don't worry about it.

Do train tickets normally even have names on them? Not on the ones from my station, so don't worry about it.

not normally no, but i got them from the reservation machine

Not that I know of, but you will need to use the card that you used to pay for it.

A ticket is not transferable. The conditions of carriage say that it can only be used by the person for whom it was bought.

Some styles of ticket do have a name printed on them. It is not necessary for the name to be that of the person travelling. If though, the name on the ticket was of a female and a male was travelling it might attract the attention of a jobs-worth conductor, particularly on the return journey when he might suggest that the person using it was not the same one who had used it on the outward journey.

Having said that, I'm not aware of any self-service machine that prints the purchaser's name on the ticket. As far as I know only (some) airline-type tickets that have a name on them and they are not produced by self-service machines.

Last edited:
They say that, but actually you don't - any card will do

This is so in some types of ticket machine but not all.

If the ticket machine fails to produce your ticket and you have to go to the booking office window, you will definitely need to produce the card with which you made the purchase.

A colleague of mine at work booked a ticket online for his Mother In Law to travel down from somewhere up north to Milton Keynes. It wasn't until he printed out the booking that he read the small print that said it needed the card and booking reference to get the ticket out of the machine. I'm sure it must have said about it at some point during thebooking process. He was stuck with it though as Virgin said the ticket was non refundable and wouldn't give him his money back. He ended up having to send his card up by courier to his M-I-L as that was cheaper than having to buy another ticket.

This is so in some types of ticket machine but not all.

If the ticket machine fails to produce your ticket and you have to go to the booking office window, you will definitely need to produce the card with which you made the purchase.

My daughter had major hassle with this a few months back as the bank informed her that they suspected fraud on her card and told her to destroy it immediately, which she did. Unfortunately this was between ordering the ticket and trying to collect it.

She rang the train helpline the day before and they said she'd have to get a letter from her bank explaining the situation. The bank not surprisingly refused. Leicester station just couldn't cope with the idea that she no longer had the card, the manager gave her another helpline to ring who gave her an authorisation number to tell the ticket office, which didn't work.....

Eventually having missed her train she finally gave up, bought another ticket and was late for the interview.

A ticket is not transferable. The conditions of carriage say that it can only be used by the person for whom it was bought.

Some styles of ticket do have a name printed on them. It is not necessary for the name to be that of the person travelling. If though, the name on the ticket was of a female and a male was travelling it might attract the attention of a jobs-worth conductor, particularly on the return journey when he might suggest that the person using it was not the same one who had used it on the outward journey.

Having said that, I'm not aware of any self-service machine that prints the purchaser's name on the ticket. As far as I know only (some) airline-type tickets that have a name on them and they are not produced by self-service machines.

this was pretty much my understanding

although even having my name on it, i could have bought if *for* someone else

i shall provide all parts of the ticket for mrs DV and she shall use the "my better half bought it for me" line

i would think it would take an outstandingly jobsworthy inspector to charge her

i have wagered this won't happen and promised to refund any incurred costs...

Last edited:
this was pretty much my understanding

although even having my name on it, i could have bought if *for* someone else

i shall provide all parts of the ticket for mrs DV and she shall use the "my better half bought it for me" line

i would think it would take an outstandingly jobsworthy inspector to charge her

i have wagered this won't happen and promised to refund any incurred costs...

There would be no harm in endorsing the back of the tickets with the words, "Purchased for and on behalf of Mrs DV", or similar and signing the same.

If she does come up against a jobs-worth, she should politely refuse to pay a single penny but offer her to provide her full name and address. This ticket has been clearly been bought in accordance with the conditions of carriage.

There would be no harm in endorsing the back of the tickets with the words, "Purchased for and on behalf of Mrs DV", or similar and signing the same.

If she does come up against a jobs-worth, she should politely refuse to pay a single penny but offer her to provide her full name and address. This ticket has been clearly been bought in accordance with the conditions of carriage.

aha, noted

like it

thanks very much Bocster

And never forget, he/she is just a ticket inspector with no actual authority over any of us.

He can ask you to leave the train, but he would need a police officer to remove you. Such people tend to modify their behaviour when they realise how silly their jobsworthiness is going to seem.

He can ask you to leave the train, but he would need a police officer to remove you. Such people tend to modify their behaviour when they realise how silly their jobsworthiness is going to seem.

Indeed.
In a situation like that though, I'd be questioning the police officer on what authority they have to remove you as well. The whim of a rail employee in a costume wouldn't cut it with me.

I've discovered within myself a particular perversion for publicly making people look stupid when they're trying to do the same to me. I get particular satisfaction when it's a ticket inspector on a train. Some months ago, I was on a train and the ticket inspector insisted my ticket wasn't valid for the train I was on. I disagreed, because I knew very well that it was - after all, it said in the email I received from East Midlands Trains that I should get that train. She insisted I pay £37.10 (or thereabouts). I refused. A standoff ensued, whereby she repeatedly demanded £37.10, and I repeatedly explained, in the exact same words every time, that I had already paid to be on this service and there was literally zero prospect of me paying twice. Eventually she said "I'll have to come back to you", and never did. In fact, now I think of it, Sidekick was with me. Blackpool away I think.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4597
2Ipswich4593
3Leeds Utd4590
4Southampton4584
5Norwich City4573
6West Brom4572
7Hull City4570
8Middlesbro4566