Train Experts needed!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Whilst your on Jeff Can you give me any info for a trip to Portsmouth?
Would you need to change in London, or are there better ways:102:.
If the trip was on a Saturday ,and for late May or early June, could you advise me on costs.:)

Whilst your on Jeff Can you give me any info for a trip to Portsmouth?
Would you need to change in London, or are there better ways:102:.
If the trip was on a Saturday ,and for late May or early June, could you advise me on costs.:)

The best way to get to Portsmouth would probably be to get one of the dead cheap (from £1) Megatrain tickets to London, and then a London to Portsmouth ticket - also by Megatrain.

Last edited:
The best way to get to Portsmouth would probably be to get one of the dead cheap (from £1) Megatrain tickets to London, and then a London to Portsmouth ticket - also by Megatrain.

Megatrain haven't released any tickets later than May 17th at the moment, if you check regularly (several times a day!) you chould be able to get the tickets you want at the lowest price.

If you book in advance and get the timing right it's possible to do the journey for £12.50 each way (minus railcard discount, assuming he has one), but there never seems to be many cheap tickets on Sunday. Sometimes if there are no cheap tickets from Leicester there may still be some from Nuneaton or Birmingham.

Partly because they are never sure what services they are going to be running until a week or two before and partly because the trains are rammed without discounts.

Train peeps i need an answer as the trainline website has crashed on me. Is it any cheaper to get a day return on saturday from birmingham - leicester then it is if i went home on friday night and came back on saturday?
(young person railcard too btw)

cheers

Train peeps i need an answer as the trainline website has crashed on me. Is it any cheaper to get a day return on saturday from birmingham - leicester then it is if i went home on friday night and came back on saturday?
(young person railcard too btw)

cheers

I can't get the exact fares because all the railway ticket websites seem to be down.

Day returns, when available, are always cheaper than period returns. In the case of your proposed journey you would save about £3.20 (allowing for YPR discount) by travelling to Leicester on the Saturday morning rather than the previous evening.

am i right in thinking it isn't more expensive to travel before 10 am on a saturday too?

Off-peak tickets are valid on all trains on Saturdays and Sundays.

Status
Not open for further replies.

P Pld Pts
1Manchester C  412
2Arsenal410
3Newcastle410
4Liverpool49
5Aston Villa49
6Brighton48
7Nottm F48
8Chelsea47
9Brentford46