Train help. (Again)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Richie_d123

Hello all.

So, iv returned for help with trains to Edinburgh. Is it still too soon for cheap tickets? Our preferred dates although flexible are Friday 15th November and coming back the following day.

Cheers.

Hello all.

So, iv returned for help with trains to Edinburgh. Is it still too soon for cheap tickets? Our preferred dates although flexible are Friday 15th November and coming back the following day.

Cheers.
I'd say you're too late if anything.

Whoops. March, and no iv not found it before you ask...
What date as the 15th is a Saturday not a Friday. I don't think any tickets are available for a couple of weeks yet, as Jeff mentioned, if it's the weekend of 14th/15th March you want Could be around £39-50 if it was the same weekend in February if you catch say the 6-26 from Leicester that gets you there for lunch, but there might be cheaper options via Nuneaton/Tamworth by the time the tickets become available.

Last edited:
I went lake District in November (Edinb train) and it was just over 60. If i had booked it 28 days it would have been thirty something. Although that is with a senior Railcard. So 50-60 sound about right.

Hello all.

So, iv returned for help with trains to Edinburgh. Is it still too soon for cheap tickets? Our preferred dates although flexible are Friday 15th [March] and coming back the following day.

Cheers.

The 'price-setting' Train Operating Company for your tickets will be either Virgin, Cross Country or East Coast. They are at the moment booking Advance tickets to 20th February, 28th February and 28th February respectively, so tickets for your dates should be available in 2-3 weeks time.

The cheapest possible prices are now £21 (via Nuneaton), £24.50 (via Derby) and £21.50 (via Peterborough) - but don't forget that there is a round of price increases due at the start of January (these are non-regulated fares so it is impossible to know how much they will rise, if at all). You should not expect that these cheapest fares will necessarily be available for your dates, particularly for your return on the Saturday. EC Advance tickets are available at a 10% discount on their own website. You don't have to use the same route in both directions.

For this particular journey website 'booking engines' tend to default to EC journeys for your return; it might be necessary to use a site which allows you to specify the TOC or to put in a via point to get the cheapest fare.

Best of luck!

Last edited:
Hi all,

pre-empting that I may actually get a couple of tickets for the Man City game next Tuesday it is showing the last train from Leicester to London at 10.00pm, is there an alternative?

Where I work backs onto a cargo rail line and yesterday 2 beautiful black steam trains went past very slowly, stunning sight.

pre-empting that I may actually get a couple of tickets for the Man City game next Tuesday it is showing the last train from Leicester to London at 10.00pm, is there an alternative?

There are actually four alternatives of which I am aware:

1. Drive
2. Leave the game at half-time
3. Stay overnight
4. Don't go

There is actually a member of the London Branch who leaves right on the final whistle and always manages to get to the station in time. Extra time (ha!) would cause him a problem. In short there are no alternative routes.

Where I work backs onto a cargo rail line and yesterday 2 beautiful black steam trains went past very slowly, stunning sight.

Cathedrals Express from Horsham to Ely. 44871+45407 in charge. You must work north of the river because the steam locos were only put on at Willesden.

Here they are travelling a little faster last month:

Last edited by a moderator:
There are actually four alternatives of which I am aware:

1. Drive
2. Leave the game at half-time
3. Stay overnight
4. Don't go

There is actually a member of the London Branch who leaves right on the final whistle and always manages to get to the station in time. Extra time (ha!) would cause him a problem. In short there are no alternative routes.

Cathedrals Express from Horsham to Ely. 44871+45407 in charge. You must work north of the river because the steam locos were only put on at Willesden.

Here they are travelling a little faster last month:

Yes I work less than a mile from Willesden Junction and the video looks like them, they were literally crawling along with only one carriage, I was quite mesmerised.

Cheers Bob.

Ps: does the London guy walk/run to the station?

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4597
2Ipswich4593
3Leeds Utd4590
4Southampton4584
5Norwich City4573
6West Brom4572
7Hull City4570