Trains and the people who operate them

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joe_Fox

Ok, first of all I'd like to say that the UK Train Network is utter toss and whoever is in charge of the tickets (prices and types) need to be executed. Harsh but fair.

I'm looking to travel from Leeds to London.

Outward journey

07/02/08 to arrive in London at about midday

Return journey

11/02/08 to leave London at about 19.00

I have not been able to find a ticket cheaper than £56 which I know is bollocks.

Does anyone have any tips for getting the cheap tickets? For instance, there are cheap singles for about £9 each way but I cannot select them. Does anyone know when they go on sale? I'm sure they haven't 'sold out' all ready.

Any help would be great - maybe we could start a tips and tricks forum to share our knowledge about all sorts of shite systems the UK harbours.

Re: Trains and the twats who operate them

Slow train ...

8.28am from Leeds > Arrive St Pancras 11.51am = £17

19.25pm from St Pancras > Arrive Leeds 22.50pm = £20

Total: £37

surely someone can do better

surely someone can do better

Ungrateful sod! Notts has already saved you best part of £20! :018:

Ungrateful sod! Notts has already saved you best part of £20! :018:

I remember a fare that was about a tenner, that's all.

Is there a site with a list with all the EMT ADVANCE C, D, E, F tickets on it?

Ive just tried splitting the journey at Sheffield or Doncaster and it's no cheaper. Manchester is about the same price, but a bit out of your way.

I know what you mean though about the dirt cheap singles. It could be that they haven't released them yet.

I know what you mean though about the dirt cheap singles. It could be that they haven't released them yet.
I know of one that's been released and living in Scotland

filthy though and no doubt covered in grafitti.

Last edited:
297 now. it keeps changing

Contrary to what you say, the cheapest tickets for your journey *have* been sold ; they went on sale about a month ago - you need to book at least 3 months ahead to get the cheapest fares.

There are still tickets available at £8.90 on the 10:40 from Leeds, arriving in Kings Cross at 13:10. I can't find anything cheaper the £20 fare that Nottingham has already offered you for the return journey.

Perhaps your rant would be more plausible if you told us how much a journey of a similar length would cost in another country. I've just checked the same dates and similar times for a journey from Calais to Paris - about 10 miles shorter than your journey and can find no fare cheaper than £61 - more than twice as much as the fare available to you. And that is on a railway that is far more heavily subsidised than any railway company in Britain.

Perhaps you could drive it - how much petrol could you buy for £28.90 - enough to get from London to Leeds and back; I think not! And that is without all the additional costs of owning and running a car.

Last edited:
Contrary to what you say, the cheapest tickets for your journey *have* been sold ; they went on sale about a month ago - you need to book at least 3 months ahead to get the cheapest fares.

There are still tickets available at £8.90 on the 10:40 from Leeds, arriving in Kings Cross at 13:10. I can't find anything cheaper the £20 fare that Nottingham has already offered you for the return journey.

Perhaps your rant would be more plausible if you told us how much a journey of a similar length would cost in another country. I've just checked the same dates and similar times for a journey from Calais to Paris - about 10 miles shorter than your journey and can find no fare cheaper than £61 - more than twice as much as the fare available to you. And that is on a railway that is far more heavily subsidised than any railway company in Britain.

Perhaps you could drive it - how much petrol could you buy for £28.90 - enough to get from London to Leeds and back; I think not! And that is without all the additional costs of owning and running a car.

It's not so much the price I have a problem with, it's the myriad of different prices that each journey can be. The range and complexity is a joke.

Status
Not open for further replies.

P Pld Pts
1Liverpool512
2Manchester C  412
3Aston Villa512
4Chelsea510
5Arsenal410
6Newcastle510
7Brighton48
8Fulham58
9Nottm F48