Transport help please...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jeff

Administrator
Staff member
Can any of our public transport experts find a cheap way of doing the following journeys?

Tomorrow: from Warrington to Meadowhall (or Sheffield), leaving Warrington after 13:20. If it's cheaper I could start from Wigan instead of Warrington.

Wednesday: from Meadowhall to Birmingham International, arrive by 13:00, then from Birmingham International to Warrington, leaving no earlier than 17:00, to get to Warrington no later than 21:20.

Tomorrow: from Warrington to Meadowhall (or Sheffield), leaving Warrington after 13:20. If it's cheaper I could start from Wigan instead of Warrington.

£7 Advance Singles Warrington CENTRAL to Sheffield still available. Book online and pick it up from the machine on the station, using the same c/c.

One service an hour at xx:44, change at Manchester Piccadilly.

Normal single fare is £15.90

Wednesday: from Meadowhall to Birmingham International, arrive by 13:00,

Cheapest Advance Single for your times is £14.50 - Meadowhall to Birmingham International - change at Sheffield and New Street. Leave 09:33 or 10:07, arrive 11:38 and 12:19 respectively. £2 cheaper if you can arrive at 13:19.

... then from Birmingham International to Warrington, leaving no earlier than 17:00, to get to Warrington no later than 21:20.

Choice of two trains:

17:53 or 18:53 - change at New Street - arrive 19:26 and 20:26 respectively - Advance Single £21.50 in each case. ouch!!

Last edited:
17:53 or 18:53 - change at New Street - arrive 19:26 and 20:26 respectively - Advance Single £21.50 in each case. ouch!!

I've got that down to £15.50, by changing tickets at New Street.

Thanks for the other info, which is the same as I'd already got. I was hoping there might be some megatrain / megabus or other cheap ticket alternative I'd not thought of.

I'm thinking of going to the reserve match tomorrow afternoon, which is the reason for the train to Birmingham International. They're playing at Solihull Moors which is a couple of miles from the station.

Thanks for the other info, which is the same as I'd already got. I was hoping there might be some megatrain / megabus or other cheap ticket alternative I'd not thought of.

Megabus/Megatrain serves neither Warrington nor Wigan - except perhaps if you baled out of a train (I didn't even look if there was a suitable service as this would be against the T&Cs of a Megatrain ticket). NAt Exp coach is too slow to meet your needs.

There is one Megabus service a day from Sheffield to Birmingham but it's in the evening.

There are suitable Nat Exp coach services from Meadowhall to Birmingham DIGBETH for your times, but they are more expensive than the train, so I didn't include them.

Megabus/Megatrain serves neither Warrington nor Wigan

Megatrain serve Warrington, but only on trains to/from the north.
I already have Megatrain tickets for the Carlisle-Warrington part of the journey (£1 each way).

I was hoping I could make use of Megabus from Manchester to Birmingham, but the times are useless for the journeys I want to make.

Maybe BM can come up with an alternative route that goes via Norwich...

Megatrain serve Warrington, but only on trains to/from the north.
I already have Megatrain tickets for the Carlisle-Warrington part of the journey (£1 each way).

I was hoping I could make use of Megabus from Manchester to Birmingham, but the times are useless for the journeys I want to make.

Maybe BM can come up with an alternative route that goes via Norwich...

Fludie will sell you one on Ebay. It will go via Milton Keynes, even though he doesn't know where Milton Keynes is - and you will have to spend the whole journey in the toilet.

Another one im struggling with is cov to durham on 18th feb arriving before 10:30am and return 19th feb leaving after 8:30. ideally would want first class. cheapest i can find is about £350. want minimum changes as well. any help much appreciated.

Another one im struggling with is cov to durham on 18th feb arriving before 10:30am and return 19th feb leaving after 8:30. ideally would want first class. cheapest i can find is about £350. want minimum changes as well. any help much appreciated.

You can do the journey for £155 using a standard return ticket, it's probably possible to do it for less though.

It's only £350ish if you want a first class ticket.

Pay up, you miserable bastard. It's only people travelling in 1st class at Peak times that gives the railway companies enough money to be able to offer reasonable fares to the rest of us!

You can do the journey for £2.50 If you change both the departure and arrival points and the dates.

Leicester to London St Pancras on MeggaTrain Saturday 6th March £2.50 including 50p booking fee.

I trust this helps.

If you won't change your mind about first class, you can still save money by splitting the ticket.

For example cov - Sheffield, £149, Sheffield - Durham £152, saving around £50.
There are loads of different options to try when splitting the journey, that's just the first one I tried.

If you won't change your mind about first class, you can still save money by splitting the ticket.

For example cov - Sheffield, £149, Sheffield - Durham £152, saving around £50.
There are loads of different options to try when splitting the journey, that's just the first one I tried.

Ok ill have another look on that basis. Its not me going and he does insist on 1st class!!

I am right in saying that he wouldn't have to get off at sheffield aren't i?

Yes.

He should be able to do the journey with one change, at Birmingham.

But if he sits in a reserved seat (which might be necessary at that time of day), he might have to change seats if his seat is reserved for someone else when he changes from one ticket to another.

Yes.

He should be able to do the journey with one change, at Birmingham.

But if he sits in a reserved seat (which might be necessary at that time of day), he might have to change seats if his seat is reserved for someone else when he changes from one ticket to another.

excellent.

HE would have to travel via Sheffield but would not have to get off.

(Actually he might not even have to travel via Sheffield, but that would really scare him.)

HE would have to travel via Sheffield but would not have to get off.

(Actually he might not even have to travel via Sheffield, but that would really scare him.)

A 1st Class person getting off in Sheffield - prime for the picking as it's an open station with all the reprobates we have up here that hang around the station. So good job he's not getting off unless he fancies going to M & S:icon_wink

A 1st Class person getting off in Sheffield - prime for the picking as it's an open station with all the reprobates we have up here that hang around the station. So good job he's not getting off unless he fancies going to M & S:icon_wink

I understand that East Midlands Trains would like to introduce barriers but have the difficulty of there being a right-of-way across the station footbridge to the nearby tramstop. Any news how they're going to get over it?

I understand that East Midlands Trains would like to introduce barriers but have the difficulty of there being a right-of-way across the station footbridge to the nearby tramstop. Any news how they're going to get over it?

Either a very good joke or you're an idiot :icon_bigg

Status
Not open for further replies.

P Pld Pts
1Manchester C  412
2Arsenal410
3Newcastle410
4Liverpool49
5Aston Villa49
6Brighton48
7Nottm F48
8Chelsea47