Transport help please...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have got it down to around £250. But he is going to look at other options including travelling cattle from cov to brum and then 1st class the rest of the way.

Either a very good joke or you're an idiot :icon_bigg

I was asking how they were going to get over the difficulty, not the footbridge. Even people from Yorkshire know how to get over a footbridge.

I have got it down to around £250. But he is going to look at other options including travelling cattle from cov to brum and then 1st class the rest of the way.

That's unlikely to help. The fares from Cov in that direction are generally identical to the fares from Brum.

That's unlikely to help. The fares from Cov in that direction are generally identical to the fares from Brum.

I dont quite get what you mean. So far it is coming out at £3.80 cov to brum and then around £59 brum to sheff versus £75 cov to sheff in one purchase.

he has now got it below £200, going cattle from cov to brum both ways.

I dont quite get what you mean. So far it is coming out at £3.80 cov to brum and then around £59 brum to sheff versus £75 cov to sheff in one purchase.

I don't know what fares you are looking at. The fares that I can see for Coventry to Sheffield are exactly the same as the fares from Birmingham to Sheffield. I can see no Birmingham to Sheffield fare of "about £59"; the cheapest 1st class fare that I can see for your time of travel is £63.50 from both Coventry and Birmingham.

I don't know what fares you are looking at. The fares that I can see for Coventry to Sheffield are exactly the same as the fares from Birmingham to Sheffield. I can see no Birmingham to Sheffield fare of "about £59"; the cheapest 1st class fare that I can see for your time of travel is £63.50 from both Coventry and Birmingham.

See attachment. First Advanced single?

Attachments

• trains.jpg
    trains.jpg
    79.5 KB · Views: 64
See attachment. First Advanced single?

Very odd. That's the second time in a week that thetrainline.com has come up with cheaper fares than any other railway ticket site. Be aware that there will be both a booking fee and a credit/debit card charge, though in this case they will be dwarfed by the saving made.

You should note though that the same £59.50 fare is available from Coventry on the 07:27, arrives Sheffield at 09:17 - although no good for your purposes.

Last edited:
I'm still thinking about going - does anyone reckon I'll make it up to Barnsley from Coventry if I leave at 5:30 - I don't want to start another travel thread but I have no idea what the M1 is like in the evenings. Google Maps reckons 1hr 40m.

:102:

Junctions 24-28 might make a difference with those average speed cameras

Also Junctions 33-34 as well + the traffic once you get off the motorway and near the ground which some parts were heaving I noticed as I queued up for my pie and pies.
Did you make the journey? I hope you didn't
cos it wasn't worth all the effort if you did

Just out of interest, would people reccomend travelling to Gatwick airport on a sunday on the train?

Is Sunday often used for engineering works?

It works out about £37 cheaper than using National Express

Just out of interest, would people reccomend travelling to Gatwick airport on a sunday on the train?

Is Sunday often used for engineering works?

It works out about £37 cheaper than using National Express

Yes. Sunday is often used for engineering works but the good news is that East Midlands Trains have included an allowance for them in the current Sunday timetable so you're unlikely to get a shock a few days in advance in finding your travel arrangements up the spout.

The real disadvantage to travelling at the weekend (both Saturday and Sunday) from Leicester to Gatwick is that the First Capital Connect Thameslink services don't always run across London - and you then have to make your own way to London Bridge or Victoria on the tube. And then there is the problem that the tube too is suffering a lot of weekend disruption due to engineering work too - this though is advertised quite far in advance whereas FCC Thameslink services are sometimes changed at a week's notice.

If it's £37 cheaper than NatExp it is certainly worth considering even withe changes and possible disruption. Just don't expect to be able to do the journey as quickly as you could during the week.

Yes. Sunday is often used for engineering works but the good news is that East Midlands Trains have included an allowance for them in the current Sunday timetable so you're unlikely to get a shock a few days in advance in finding your travel arrangements up the spout.

The real disadvantage to travelling at the weekend (both Saturday and Sunday) from Leicester to Gatwick is that the First Capital Connect Thameslink services don't always run across London - and you then have to make your own way to London Bridge or Victoria on the tube. And then there is the problem that the tube too is suffering a lot of weekend disruption due to engineering work too - this though is advertised quite far in advance whereas FCC Thameslink services are sometimes changed at a week's notice.

If it's £37 cheaper than NatExp it is certainly worth considering even withe changes and possible disruption. Just don't expect to be able to do the journey as quickly as you could during the week.

Cheers Boc.

At the moment First Capital are selling tickets for the sunday, all day tickets. So at the moment there is no planned disruption.

Travel date is March 7th so I suppose there is plenty of time for that to change.

£22 Leicester to London (maybe £28 if I splash out and go 1st class, is it worth it?)

£17.80 St Pancras to gatwick

For 2 people that is.

Travel date is March 7th so I suppose there is plenty of time for that to change.

I've just had a look at the engineering work schedule for FCC; there is a very big programme of works going on to more than double the number of trains going though London and to increase their length by 50%. They seem to work 3 to 4 weeks ahead.

On the next two Sundays trains will be going through London; it will be possible to get a train direct from St Pancras to Gatwick.

On 14th Feb there will be no trains through London. You would have to use the Northern line to get to London Bridge to catch the FCC train to Gatwick. It will be about another three weeks before you will know what will apply for your date.

In view of the fact that the EMT Leicester to London fare which you quote is for a limited availability Advance ticket, I would book it as soon as possible but for an hour earlier than you normally would.

You ask if 1st class is worth the extra. At those prices and with luggage, I would certainly be considering it. Not only will you have much more space and much more chance of a seat with a table but also, if the train is the right way round, your carriage will be near the stairs at Leicester and nearest to the barriers at St Pancras.

Last edited:
Also Junctions 33-34 as well + the traffic once you get off the motorway and near the ground which some parts were heaving I noticed as I queued up for my pie and pies.
Did you make the journey? I hope you didn't
cos it wasn't worth all the effort if you did

Nope, decided that if I made it out of work before 5 I'd do it, but luckily was kept tied up until just before 6. :icon_bigg

Although I haven't seen us lose this season, so maybe it was my fault. Probably more likely to be whoever started the pre-match thread though - did we not follow Joe's spreadsheet?!!!

:102:

Status
Not open for further replies.

P Pld Pts
1Manchester C  412
2Arsenal410
3Newcastle410
4Liverpool49
5Aston Villa49
6Brighton48
7Nottm F48
8Chelsea47