US Open Tennis 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

Billyjof

Just watched Murray blast through into the quarters. He is looked in good nick against Raonic having struggled through the previous round. The Canadian didn't even get to break point all match.

Still some big names to overcome, but he has a very big chance on his favourite surface.

Wow.

Murray was back to his all too familiar undisciplined self last night. Stroppy, muttering, giving away unforced errors. Marin Cilic probably couldn't believe what was happening when in his first service game he only dropped one point then broke Murray to love. Murray resorted to taking his frustration out on his racquet and swearing at himself. Amazingly there was a swap in breaks of serve before Cilic served for the first set.

Second set looked to be rushing away at 5-1 when Murray somehow managed to galvanize his game and produced an astronomical comeback. To which he then never looked back, winning the next 6-2 and then 4th set 6-0.

Amazing tennis, followed on by Tomas Berdych beating Federer. "First Grand Slam semi-final line-up featuring neither Federer nor the injured Rafael Nadal since the 2004 French Open"

Murray's style has always been questioned but he does have the shots to beat the best. His serve is as good as it will ever be. There are always doubts surrounding his often fragile mental game. Removing is old foe Federer he may just view a way to cross the finishing line this time.

Last edited:
Wow.

Murray was back to his all too familiar undisciplined self last night. Stroppy, muttering, giving away unforced errors. Marin Cilic probably couldn't believe what was happening when in his first service game he only dropped one point then broke Murray to love. Murray resorted to taking his frustration out on his racquet and swearing at himself. Amazingly there was a swap in breaks of serve before Cilic served for the first set.

Second set looked to be rushing away at 5-1 when Murray somehow managed to galvanize his game and produced an astronomical comeback. To which he then never looked back, winning the next 6-2 and then 4th set 6-0.

Amazing tennis, followed on by Tomas Berdych beating Federer. "First Grand Slam semi-final line-up featuring neither Federer nor the injured Rafael Nadal since the 2004 French Open"

Murray's style has always been questioned but he does have the shots to beat the best. His serve is as good as it will ever be. There are always doubts surrounding his often fragile mental game. Removing is old foe Federer he may just view a way to cross the finishing line this time.

Murray has a better record against Federer than he does against Berdych though.

He's not beaten either in a Slam but has won more times against Federer, only once in 5 sets.

Oh don't get me wrong, I think he's got a better chance against Berdych. I just think it's maybe not as easy as some people have been making it out to be. Murray has won against one of the 'big 3' players before in the semis of slams, only to fail to back it up in the final.

Oh don't get me wrong, I think he's got a better chance against Berdych. I just think it's maybe not as easy as some people have been making it out to be. Murray has won against one of the 'big 3' players before in the semis of slams, only to fail to back it up in the final.

Yes completely agree. He has only played Berdych on clay in a Slam and lost in straight sets. It will be a difficult match, but my money would be on Murray. He is capable of playing great tennis at the moment, the Raonic match he was at ease and in complete control. Often his finger tends to hover dangerously over the self destruct button, some would say that is due to his counter punch baseline style. You can't play this way and expect to out hit a clinical Federer/Djorkovic over five sets.

I thought when Murray beat Nadal in the US Open 2008 it was due to Nadal retiring through injury? Looks like I'm very wrong on that.

Well that was a strange match. Fair play to Murray for getting it done in the end.

Fancy Murray to get the job done tonight. Hoping the Olympic gold has broken his hoodoo

Such an exciting first set. Murray looking very strong now. Surely he'll win from here?

Mental strength needed now. Big comeback from Djokovic.

Win this set though and it's still looking good...

All down to the Murray serve, he doesn't land it first time Djorkovic wins the point. Really shouldn't have let him back in this set.

At least Murray held his set to break the momentum a bit... looks like another tie break coming though! Could get one on every set.

Oh shit I can't watch this.

I can almost hear the acceptance speech "Andy is a great competitor, he'll surely win a Slam sometime soon"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4597
2Ipswich4593
3Leeds Utd4590
4Southampton4584
5Norwich City4573
6West Brom4572
7Hull City4570
8Middlesbro4566