USA - Help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nottingham Fox

I shall be heading to the states in a few weeks with my Mum who is going to pay her respects to a close friend who passed away a couple of weeks back.

We leave on 20th Nov and will be spending a couple of days in Nashville. As it was no extra on the flight cost, my mum decided she would like a stop over on the way back in Washington DC.

We shall be flying in to Washington Dulles

Anyone on here been to Washington DC? Can you recommend reasonably priced hotels, transport links from the airport etc? Any other info which may be useful?

I have looked at several info sites which all seem to suggest the best way to get from the airport to DC is by a taxi, which is the best part of £50 :icon_sad:

I shall be heading to the states in a few weeks with my Mum who is going to pay her respects to a close friend who passed away a couple of weeks back.

We leave on 20th Nov and will be spending a couple of days in Nashville. As it was no extra on the flight cost, my mum decided she would like a stop over on the way back in Washington DC.

We shall be flying in to Washington Dulles

Anyone on here been to Washington DC? Can you recommend reasonably priced hotels, transport links from the airport etc? Any other info which may be useful?

I have looked at several info sites which all seem to suggest the best way to get from the airport to DC is by a taxi, which is the best part of £50 :icon_sad:

I have been to Washington. We did a similar thing when going to Florida and stayed in Washington for a couple of days. Dulles is a fair way from Downtown but we stayed at The Hyatt Hotel Dulles which is a couple of miles from the airport. The hotel then offer a free shuttle service to Washington where you can then do as you please (the shuttle probably takes half an hour to 45 mins). It's pretty easy and I think there are shuttles every hour or so plus the hotel is the dogs knackers. If you stay there and like eating fish try the red snapper - I have never eaten anything like it!

I have been to Washington. We did a similar thing when going to Florida and stayed in Washington for a couple of days. Dulles is a fair way from Downtown but we stayed at The Hyatt Hotel Dulles which is a couple of miles from the airport. The hotel then offer a free shuttle service to Washington where you can then do as you please (the shuttle probably takes half an hour to 45 mins). It's pretty easy and I think there are shuttles every hour or so plus the hotel is the dogs knackers. If you stay there and like eating fish try the red snapper - I have never eaten anything like it!

Thanks Singth.

How long ago was it when you stopped there? Looking at their site, they only offer a free shuttle between the airport and hotel :icon_conf

Thanks Singth.

How long ago was it when you stopped there? Looking at their site, they only offer a free shuttle between the airport and hotel :icon_conf

It was 2003. The shuttle to Washington is not just for The Hyatt, there are about half a dozen hotels on the same site and it goes around all of them. It was definately free but whether they still offer the service or not I don't know, although I can't see why they wouldn't as the hotels are for businessmen in the main and was ferrying them into town. That said it doesn't go completely into town, it drops you at a Subway terminal and you get the train in, but it's a couple of quid tops.

Send them an email Notts, one of the best things I remember about that hotel (apart from the red snapper) was how helpful they were.

After visting washington this summer i can safely say you can see all the famous monuments in a day, though if you want to spread it out over a longer period and go to the various museums, arlington cemetery etc then you can. the metro system is excellent there also and a good way of getting around. Apart from the monuments though and the downtown area near it, its a ****ing dump.

Also if you get there early enough you can get free tickets to go to the top of the washington monument which offers great views-however they only have a limited set of tickets per day. Also you can queue to go on a tour inside the capitol building (however the later you go the longer you will queue).

Last edited:
Also if you get there early enough you can get free tickets to go to the top of the washington monument which offers great views-however they only have a limited set of tickets per day. Also you can queue to go on a tour inside the capitol building (however the later you go the longer you will queue).

And if you try to stand on the railing across the road from the White House to get a better picture you'll have some 9ft 55' brick shit house police dude come shouting at you to 'GET THE **** DOWN NOW, SIR"!! Bless him he called me sir :icon_lol:

And if you try to stand on the railing across the road from the White House to get a better picture you'll have some 9ft 55' brick shit house police dude come shouting at you to 'GET THE **** DOWN NOW, SIR"!! Bless him he called me sir :icon_lol:

That would make him 13foot 6 inch! I think you may be fibbing a little there singth

That would make him 13foot 6 inch! I think you may be fibbing a little there singth

55' is 55 feet and would make him 64 feet tall. I *know* that singth is fibbing more than a little!

I was stood on the railings and The Fridge was still taller than me. 9ft 55' that's what I tell the ladies. I wondered why I get so many laughs....

Yeah and he was an ACTUAL brick shithouse too. Seen someone coming out of him with a rolled up newspaper under their arm. It all happens in The US of A man. Yeehawww!!

All sorted!

I have found a shuttle bus from the airport which is $10 or $18 return. This drops you off at West Falls Church metro station. We have found a hotel in Arlington (Hyatt Arlington), right next to Rosslyn metro station which is on the same line (orange) as West Falls Church. From the hotel we could walk over Key Bridge in to Georgetown or over Theodore Bridge to Lincoln Memorial and on to The White House etc.

Thanks for your help!

This is a bit late but i was in Washington in July, and also a year past Christmas, imo it is a great place to visit.

Washington is a good walking city for all the monuments or if you are feeling a bit more energetic you can do a tour by bike during the day or at night.

We stayed at Foggy Bottom which is quite near to Georgetown, which itself will be quite lively this time of year with all the students. if you are coming in through Georgetown a good place to eat is Martins Taven in Old Georgetown, there is also loads of restaurants in the harbour area

http://www.martins-tavern.com/

Washington is a good walking city for all the monuments or if you are feeling a bit more energetic you can do a tour by bike during the day or at night.

Pictures of Nottingham on a bike would be good.

Im in the process of trying to arrange some insurance for my little trip. I've never been as far as this before, and wasn't sure if there was anything I should make sure is included on my policy. My normal holidays are within Europe, so I just get something from Insure&Go or similar.

Any suggestions appreciated.

Marks and spenser travel insurance are very good, but also check your mobile phone contract or bank account. I get free worldwide travel insurance with my natwest account, but it's not advertised anywhere other than in the pamplets they send out. Well worth checking.

So long as you are not skiing normal world cover will do, I normally pay about £10 for a single trip tops.

Marks and spenser travel insurance are very good, but also check your mobile phone contract or bank account. I get free worldwide travel insurance with my natwest account, but it's not advertised anywhere other than in the pamplets they send out. Well worth checking.

So long as you are not skiing normal world cover will do, I normally pay about £10 for a single trip tops.

Cheers Matt.

I had found several around this price on travelsupermarket.com, but thought it looked too cheap. I just wanted to make sure a cheap looking one would suffice.

Cheers Matt.

I had found several around this price on travelsupermarket.com, but thought it looked too cheap. I just wanted to make sure a cheap looking one would suffice.

Without knowing your specifics I would say so, I generally only require things like life and medical cover, baggage etc.

Also with the cost of health care in the US make sure it has good cover on that, and if you can get one that means they cover it from the off, my parents went to spain last year and there cover meant they had to pay the costs and then claim back when they got back.

Status
Not open for further replies.

P Pld Pts
1Manchester C  412
2Arsenal410
3Newcastle410
4Liverpool49
5Aston Villa49
6Brighton48
7Nottm F48
8Chelsea47
9Brentford46