USB 3g dongle

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matt_B

I am going on a school residential in March and will need to upload photos to the school website daily. Last year, their promised WiFi was non-existent and I ended up tethering my laptop to my phone to do it. This year, I'd like to take a Pay as you go internet dongle but they all seem really expensive to buy. I know Jeff has advised on SIM cards before, are there any cheap dongles that I can just throw a tenner on? I'll need less than a gig of data I think.

I bought an O2 one from ebay a few years ago, cost me about a tenner or so and just works on a PAYG basis, a couple of quid for a 24 hour period.

There's one at Argos at the moment for around £20 that includes 3 months of data. It doesn't say how much that is though. I assume 3gb.
But before you buy anything I suggest you check the 3g availability in the area where you're staying so you don't buy it for a network that's got no signal.

Last edited:
There's one at Argos at the moment for around £20 that includes 3 months of data. It doesn't say how much that is though. I assume 3gb.
But before you buy anything I suggest you check the 3g availability in the area where you're staying so you don't buy it for a network that's got no signal.

Is there a way to check the signal other than going there?

3 will give you the best coverage - and the best value if you are a heavy user. Stay clear of any contracts tho, even short term ones as they are a fecker to get out of

3's coverage is shite, from my experience.

And quite a few other people's judging by a quick google.

Is there a McDonalds in the area? Most of them have free wifi.

3 will give you the best coverage - and the best value if you are a heavy user. Stay clear of any contracts tho, even short term ones as they are a fecker to get out of

I've got a 3 dongle and buy the 3GB sim from Amazon at around £12. Never ceases to amaze me that it is cheaper to change the sim rather than top it up.

I've found Three to be pretty good, with O2 being the worst for a 3G signal. It all depends on location though.

Vice versus here, but as you say guess it depends on the area a lot.

Still pretty ludicrous that we can *insert great mankind achievement here* but you can't use your mobile phone in various towns or when you're in parts of the countryside.

We are going to Boreatton Park which is in the middle of nowhere so not near McDonalds etc. I'll check the 3 signal later, I forgot about them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4494
2Leeds Utd4590
3Ipswich4490
4Southampton4584
5Norwich City4573
6West Brom4572
7Hull City4570
8Middlesbro4566