Vaughan left out of W Indies tour

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hardly a surprise given the fact that he hasn't played a proper innings for months and months - would have been crazy to take him

Almost as crazy as keeping Bell in the squad

Oh, hang on a minute........

Would have been a strange shout to include him - given his lack of playing time.
Still, I'd like him to be around come the Ashes in the summer.
I'd also like to see Shah given his chance in the Windies....well, anyone but Bell anyway...

Would have been a strange shout to include him - given his lack of playing time.
Still, I'd like him to be around come the Ashes in the summer.
I'd also like to see Shah given his chance in the Windies....well, anyone but Bell anyway...

I'm a Ian Bell fan but even i think its criminal that Owais Shah has not been given a chance. He has been the only consistent player in the one day team for 18 months now. He must be given a chance. strauss and cook 1 and 2, Pietersen up to 3, shah at 4 collingwood 5, freddie 6, prior 7, broad 8 swann/sidebottom 9 anderson 10 and harmison/rashid at 11

Good let him prove himself again.

All too many times with our national teams we hang to ' yesterdays players '
Thats what a like Capello for, he picks players that are on-form rather than selecting the old guard.

Good let him prove himself again.

All too many times with our national teams we hang to ' yesterdays players '
Thats what a like Capello for, he picks players that are on-form rather than selecting the old guard.

We'll see when it comes to an important tournament.

Absoultely the right decision, but they have to follow it up by playing Shah instead of Bell. The batting is a closed shop, and Ian Bell has regressed over the past 2 years, even since his 199 against SA (he's made one fifty since) and has been pretty poor against the Aussies.

On current form, Vaughan isn't worth a place in the Yorkshire side let alone test cricket.

To me, he just doesn't seem focussed to play test cricket in spite of his protestations that he is keen to play.

His central contract was renewed as an act of favouritism and I can appreciate that Geoff Miller needs to keep talking about him to justify the money that is being showered on him.

When Vaughan was at his best he was one of the best and most stylish batsmen of his generation but I don't see him recovering that sort of form - I don't think it's just an age thing but I do think that he is burnt out as a player.

That's what captaining England does to you.

I've never understood why England choose their best player as captain instead of the best player for the job.

Once they had decided to go back to a single captain for both tests & ODI's - they were struggling to identify anyone else but Pieterson who was a certain selection for both formats.

I notice on Sky Sports that there is speculation about Pieterson and Vaughan for that matter not working well with Moores. I think Moores has been extremely poor as coach and ideally should be replaced before the Ashes series.

Apparentely Pietersen not happy with MV's exclusion, and this article also suggests that KP and moores don't work well together

http://content-uk.cricinfo.com/england/content/current/story/384869.html

I find Moores to be very unconvincing and also wonder whether Pieterson wants Vaughan back as an ally in any power battle with Moores given that it's suggested that Vaughan also didn't get on with Moores.

It was always going to be tough for Moores given his lack of any international experience as a player.

....and also wonder whether Pieterson wants Vaughan back as an ally in any power battle with Moores given that it's suggested that Vaughan also didn't get on with Moores.

...seems a bit excessive, RF?

Maybe it's as simple as KP thinks/sees/knows there's something about MV that will be crucial come the summer?

It was always going to be tough for Moores given his lack of any international experience as a player.

Definitely.

A poor display in the Windies and he won't make the Ashes. It's possible - hearing the stories coming out lately - that player power may lead to his departure, regardless of the performance..or, if there was a suitable replacement to hand also.

Definitely.

A poor display in the Windies and he won't make the Ashes. It's possible - hearing the stories coming out lately - that player power may lead to his departure, regardless of the performance..or, if there was a suitable replacement to hand also.

The WIndies tour shouldn't change anything, England should be able to beat them either way. If he's not going to make the Ashes he should go now, but I'd prefer him to go anyway. No problem with the bloke, just hasn't cut the mustard.

...seems a bit excessive, RF?

Maybe it's as simple as KP thinks/sees/knows there's something about MV that will be crucial come the summer?

Well it's not likely to be MV's batting, bowling and fielding and since he's not the captain, I'm struggling to think of any other justification for his inclusion other than the power politics.

I don't know how good England will need to be to beat a seriously struggling Australia, but it must be difficult to justify MV in the crucial No 3 spot.

I suspect that the situation will resolve itself in late April/ May when MV struggles to get any runs. I'm afraid that he happens to be one of those players that loses the eye in his mid 30's and I expect him to be working with the media by the autumn (latest).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669