Vaughan quits as England Captain

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scarby

tearful Michael Vaughan has resigned as England Test captain after five years, saying it was both the hardest and the easiest decision he has made.

Vaughan added: "I've put my heart and soul into the job but my head is telling me to pack it in."
He confirmed he would not play in the final Test at The Oval, where England face South Africa on Thursday.
Paul Collingwood has quit as one-day captain. A captain for Thursday's Test will be announced on Monday.
The England and Wales Cricket Board were in discussions on Sunday about whether the replacement would be temporary or permanent, but Vaughan will certainly not lead his side again.
There was no immediate confirmation, though much speculation, about whether Kevin Pietersen would take over as England's Test and one-day captain on a long-term basis.

Vaughan, 33, made his Test debut in South Africa in 1999, and captained his country for the first time at Lord's.
He struggled to contain his emotions on two occasions as he answered questions from journalists at the National Cricket Performance Centre at Lougborough.
He said: "When I spoke to my dad this morning he said you can walk away a proud lad. So I really want to thank my mum and dad.
o.gif

"I hope this decision will prolong my career. Hopefully this will make my last few years an exciting time. I won’t be at The Oval, I need a few weeks away from the game."

He revealed he had first considered resigning at the start of the year during the tour of New Zealand, when England came back from 1-0 down to win 2-1.
Vaughan said: "In New Zealand I had a few thoughts that I might go. It is a fairytale to captain your country but it hasn't had a fairytale ending. I know that it is the right time because my mind told me it was. My body is working well but my mind is not.
"I wish whoever gets the job all the luck in the world, it's a great privilege."

Vaughan's decision came a day after England lost the third Test to South Africa, and with it the series. It was their third series loss in their last six rubbers.
He went on: "We've beaten New Zealand twice but lost to three big teams. I want to take this little break and then come back and finish the season for Yorkshire.
o.gif

"I have to score runs like everyone else and put myself in the frame for selection. I believe these will be the best years of my playing career. I won't hit any balls for a few weeks but then I want to come back and score some runs."

He said his decision had shocked his team-mates, still crestfallen after events at Edgbaston on Saturday when England looked poised for victory at tea.
"It came as a huge surprise for the players. The one regret is that I didn't stand in front of them yesterday. They were completely gutted in the dressing room and I didn't have it in me. I hope they respect my decision."
Vaughan said he had made a decision earlier in the summer to quit if his team were unable to beat South Africa, and he delivered on his promise to himself.

He said: "There have been people who I have talked to but once your mind is made up it is hard to go back. I've always gone on my gut instinct – I've played my best innings on gut instinct – and this was the right time.
"I haven't been involved in any discussions [over the new captain]. I just had to make this decision because it was the right one.
"Whoever gets the privilege to captain his country will need a bit of time to establish himself as a lead. The England team really needs someone to lead them in the right direction.

o.gif

"I've tried to be me throughout the whole period as captain. One of the things that has really hurt me in the last six months is that I haven't been me.
"A big disappointment for me is that I haven't managed to get through to next year. Whoever gets the job will have about nine matches before the Ashes so he will be inexperienced but will have fresh ideas."

Hugh Morris, managing director of the England team, said of Vaughan: "He was undoubtedly the catalyst for regaining the Ashes in 2005.
"His legacy will be felt for many years to come. We expect him to play a significant role in English cricket in the future.
"Michael led from the front and led with honesty and integrity every step of the way. "He took the England captaincy to new heights. Michael was the best possible ambassador for the game and his record as captain speaks volumes for the character he instilled in the dressing room."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/cricket/england/7539433.stm

Watch the new captains batting or bowling performances be ruined. The captaincy just destroys perfomances.

Dont know if its been mentioned but Collingwood has also quit as one day captain!

1 good thing to come out of the test

KP has got it!

Pietersen named England captain

Pietersen has captained England in one ODI against New Zealand
Kevin Pietersen has succeeded Michael Vaughan as England cricket captain.

Following Vaughan's shock resignation on Sunday, the 28-year-old's appointment was confirmed by national selector Geoff Miller at Lord's.

Pietersen will captain both the Test and one-day sides and will lead England in the final Test against South Africa at The Oval on Thursday.

He said: "I'm very thrilled and excited to have been given the opportunity to captain England."

The South Africa-born batsman had been widely tipped to take over from Vaughan and one-day captain Paul Collingwood, who also stood down on Sunday following England's Test series defeat to South Africa.

Pietersen added: "It's a huge honour and a terrific challenge for me at this stage of my international career.

"I have learned a great deal about leadership from playing under both Michael and Paul and fully appreciate the level of responsibility that comes with the job of captaining your country.

"My immediate priority will be this week's fourth npower Test and I will be devoting all my energies to ensuring that the team are properly prepared and play to their full potential, starting on Thursday."

Miller and the rest of the selection panel, Ashley Giles and James Whittaker, together with England coach Peter Moores sat down on Sunday to decide on Vaughan's successor.

Other potential captains were Andrew Strauss, Alastair Cook and Kent skipper Rob Key.

Miller said: "In choosing a new captain, we were keen to identify a player who could lead the team in all three forms of cricket and bring fresh enthusiasm and ideas to the role of captain.

"Kevin is a world-class player who will command the respect of the dressing room and I am sure he will be looking to lead from the front and work closely with both the players and the coaching staff to bring England success in the future."

More to follow.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/cricket/england/7540228.stm

kp team player? my arse.
Hopefully his batting will inspire, but historically being made captain knocks 15 odd runs from your averages

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669