vBulletin

Status
Not open for further replies.

Melton Fox

Dancing Queen
If I wanted to set up a web forum with vBulletin, what would I need?

Obviously the vBulleting software, but what sort of hosting requirements and things like php, mysql etc etc.

I have a web domain that I want to point to it and can pay and get the software now, but what else will I need.

Can I buy hosting from where my domain is registered as my other sites and then still add the mysql nonsense to it, I just don't know anything

Is it possible to buy the software today and nothing else, allowing me to build the forum offline. Will I be able to do this and then upload it when ready and I have everything in place, or do I need to it all live online.

The vBulletin help is too complex for me to understand yet. I've messed around with the demo and it's all easy to operate, I just want to know how to get started.

Thanks

If I wanted to set up a web forum with vBulletin, what would I need?

Obviously the vBulleting software, but what sort of hosting requirements and things like php, mysql etc etc.

You would just need PHP and MySQL.

Can I buy hosting from where my domain is registered as my other sites and then still add the mysql nonsense to it, I just don't know anything

If the hosting company doesn't offer MySQL as standard they may be able to offer it as an add-on, although it's a standard feature of most PHP hosting. It's not something you could add yourself unless you have a dedicated or virtual server. Which hosting company do you use?

Is it possible to buy the software today and nothing else, allowing me to build the forum offline. Will I be able to do this and then upload it when ready and I have everything in place, or do I need to it all live online.

It is possible to install it on a PC - but you'll need to install PHP and MySQL on the PC to be able to run it. If you did this the best and easiest way to copy it to your hosting account wouldn't be to copy all the directories / programs etc, but to install the program and then copy the MySQL data across to it. But I think by installing it on your PC you're just going to create more work for yourself, it's better to just install it on the web server and set it up there. You can turn it off so other people can't see what you're doing.

If you do decide to buy vBulletin I'd appreciate it if you used my link

Does it have to be vBulletin?
Do 123-reg have anything like fantastico that will install & configure scripts automatically for you?

Does it have to be vBulletin?
Do 123-reg have anything like fantastico that will install & configure scripts automatically for you?
Yes it does, I've just bought it through Jeff's link :icon_lol:

I only chose vBulletin becasue of this site, it's easy to use and easy to view

This package looks very good

http://www.ixwebhosting.com/index.php/v2/pages.planBusinessPlus

Will it do, any comments, any better etc?

Their prices look pretty good for what you get, but price isn't necessarily the most important thing and cheaper hosting may also be slow and unreliable, because often it's cheap because they've crammed too many sites onto a server. So it's best to get recommendations from other customers before buying.

Personally I prefer to host in the UK if that's where the site's audience will mainly be, although UK hosting is generally more expensive. As well as the speed and reliability advantage of the server being closer to the site's visitors, it can also help get the site into UK versions of search engines (not such a problem if you're using a .uk domain). If you want to host in the UK though you need to be careful, not all UK hosting companies have their servers in this country.

:)
Thanks!

Let me know if you need any help installing it.
I'm currently going through all the altering the file names etc to allow the communicating or something or other. I'm following the vBulletin manual as we speak.

I don't expect this to take off very fast, if at all, so I'll probably go with the above host and if traffic picks up then I'll worry more about service over price then.

Cheers Jeff, i probably will need your help at some point

I'm currently going through all the altering the file names etc to allow the communicating or something or other.

I would offer to help you with that...but I have absolutely no idea what you're talking about :102:

It was probably easier for me to install as I have a dedicated server, so I could just upload it to the server then unzip it there rather than have to ftp each file across.

I would offer to help you with that...but I have absolutely no idea what you're talking about :102:

It was probably easier for me to install as I have a dedicated server, so I could just upload it to the server then unzip it there rather than have to ftp each file across.
I have to change details in my config file such as email addy, database name etc etc

I would have left that until last, stuff like the database name you won't be able to do until you've got a database set up.
Yep, I worked that one now.

One thing I am curious about, is do I need any special software for uploading it to a server?

Yep, I worked that one now.

One thing I am curious about, is do I need any special software for uploading it to a server?

Your hosting may come with a web based file manager. If it has one which will also let you unzip files on the server, it's probably best to zip the contents of vBulletin's upload folder, and copy it across as one file, then unzip it on the server.
If you can't do that it would be better to use an FTP program to copy the files across, there are some good free ones such as http://filezilla.sourceforge.net/ and http://www.smartftp.com/

Last edited:
Your hosting may come with a web based file manager. If it has one which will also let you unzip files on the server, it's probably best to zip the contents of vBulletin's upload folder, and copy it across as one file, then unzip it on the server.
If you can't do that it would be better to use an FTP program to copy the files across, there are some good free ones such as http://filezilla.sourceforge.net/ and http://www.smartftp.com/

I use FileZilla, works a treat. I don't think the hosting supports unzipping but I shall check

In my experience vBulletin is far better than any of the free alternatives.

Also Fantastico can sometimes be a bit slow adding new versions of programs so it can cause security problems.

I hear ya Jeff, I was just thinking it could be the difference between having a forum up & running in 1/2 an hour as opposed to still scratching his head 3 weeks later. :icon_wink

Thanks Matt & Jeff, I've downloaded FileZilla

Once your host has given you an IP address you'll need to set it up in 123-reg.
I'd advise you to use 123-reg's name servers and just create new A records pointing to the new IP address. Most hosts recommend using their name servers, but you'll find it's quicker and easier to use 123-reg's. If all this makes no sense I can give you detailed instructions if you want!

You might find it takes a while (could be anything from a few minutes to a day) before you can actually see the site on the domain name.

I did recommend the nameservers :icon_redf I've never done it with the IP, let me know how to do it Jeff it may come in useful for some of my sites!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669