Kishishev 6
Clemence 8
Hume 6
Fryatt 8

Maybury 4
Kenton 6
Campbell 5

bit generous for stearman.......

anyway where did you go to tonight, a few villa fans shout and you are off on your heals

Blink? Then you may have missed it .. pathetic 15 second slot.

Takes the piss, really hate Matt whatever his name is and Robbie Earle.

Spent longer talking about Mourinho than they did the other matches altogether.

For ****s sake he's gone get over it.

Megson said.."The biggest worry I have got now is how much that has taken out of us head of the Stoke game."

Getting his excuse in early :icon_roll

I really hope we don't continue with the same formation and players on Saturday, we should be taking the game to teams at home. But I think everyone played pretty well tonight, they were organised and worked hard, so he might be reluctant to make changes.

Megson said.."The biggest worry I have got now is how much that has taken out of us head of the Stoke game."

Getting his excuse in early :icon_roll

I really hope we don't continue with the same formation and players on Saturday, we should be taking the game to teams at home. But I think everyone played pretty well tonight, they were organised and worked hard, so he might be reluctant to make changes.

To be fair to Megson, he doesn't have a lot of options. I looked at the squad last night, made a disparaging post and prepared to hear us being slaughtered. Megson was right on the night.

I too would like the team to be more attack minded but, when you look at what is available, we are paper thin in midfield - who do you suggest that we should play?

To be fair to Megson, he doesn't have a lot of options. I looked at the squad last night, made a disparaging post and prepared to hear us being slaughtered. Megson was right on the night.

I too would like the team to be more attack minded but, when you look at what is available, we are paper thin in midfield - who do you suggest that we should play?
Not sure we're that poorly off in midfield these days - the problem is, we still haven't seen half of them play more than a bit part so we can't really decide. Maybe one or two of the likes of Kaebi, Hayes, Fereira and Hellings might turn out to be good enough... if they ever get a game.

Last edited:
This was my first game this season so seeing the new players for the first time. Game itself was ok, we were set up to defend and try ans snatch a goal on the break, which is what we did so fair enough I suppose. Credit to the support who got behind the team and I certainly didn't hear any Allen chanting or anti Megson stuff.

Fulop. 8 Looks the best goalie we've had since Walker by a country mile, make the deal permanant now.

Stearman. 6 Had a reasonable game I thought, overlapped well a couple of times in the first half, got caught out of position a couple of times in the second half, particularly after Maybury ( Haybury??) came on.

N'Gotty 7, McAuley 7, Kisnorbo 8. All 3 CB's played well though N'Gotty's distribution was a bit lazy at times. Kisnorbo was outstanding and got Mattock out of trouble a few times, MOM.

Mattock 6. Did ok. Delivery from corners was good, Ashley Young got little change from him but couldn't get past their full back and didn't get a decent cross in all night. Shows promise though.

Clemence 7. Good captain's performance, only real midfielder on show.

Chambers 4. Looked lost on the right side of midfield and even more lost when he was switched to the left. Not entirely his fault because he's not a midfielder but failed to exploit the space in front of him or to run past the strikers.

Kishishev 5. Much the same as Chambers, looked to be playing out of position, got forward a few more times and put himself about a bit.

Hume 6. Don't get the lazy comments that some people have made as he ran all the time he was on. He wasn't always effective but he won some free kicks and harried the defence without really bothering them. Too many long balls pumped up to him, not an effective tactic until he grows another 6 inches! Didn't seem to have an understanding with Fryatt and like Fryatt suffered from a lack of support from the midfield.

Fryatt 8. Took his goal well, ran all night, held the ball up well. Both strikers needed a midfielder joining them but at least we played 2 up front.

Subs.
Campbell 5. Looked pacy but didn't really threaten. Left on his own up front for the last 15 mins but half a pitch away from anybody else.

Maybury 4. Strangely called Haybury by the Villa announcer but the change of name didn't improve his performance.

Kenton. Not on long enough to judge, made a tackle or two.

Megson does have to take a lot of credit out of last night – the way we set up and the organisation and discipline we showed we Villa had the ball was something we haven’t done for a long time. Apart from corners, we didn’t look like conceding. He can also take a lot of credit for the fact that the players looked like they cared, which they certainly didn’t at Charlton on Saturday.

Player wise, I thought Fulop, Clemence, Kisnorbo and McAuley were a class apart, Mattock redeemed his woeful performance from Saturday and everyone else did their bit – even DJ did some defensive work!

I like 5-3-2, but the way we played yesterday (and the squad that we have got) means that it’s definitely 5-3-2 rather than 3-5-2. Stearman and Mattock are essentially full backs and are not Guppy and Impey / Sinclair / Sav. We won’t score a lot of goals playing like that, but we shouldn’t concede too many.

A great night and finally some positivity.

Who do we want in the next round?…I fancy a trip to the Emirates.

Leicester
Blackburn
Bolton
Chelsea
Coventry
Tottenham
West Ham
Arsenal
Blackpool
Portsmouth
Luton
Everton
Man City
Liverpool
Sheff Utd
Cardiff

Strangely last night the team reminded me of the days under MON. We set up well, obviously we played 5-3-2 (albeit in a different way to under MON) but the main thing for me was that we seemed to have a good spine to the team. Fulop, kisnorbo, clemence and the 2 strikers (although fryatt was half a yard of the pace and showed lack of match fitness for me at times). This was something MON always had, a great backbone to the team and players slotted in around this. Lets hope we can keep it like that and transfer the form to the league.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669