Viruses!

Status
Not open for further replies.

joe501

I have been given a friends laptop to fix, it is completely buggered, takes three minutes to load up "My Computer"!

Anway after a very loooong evening I managed to get Zone Alarm on it and set up a scan.
It has found viruses and although most have been deleted automatically, with quite a few it has given me the option of Quarantine or Remove.

Now why has it given me the option of Quarantine? Surely I want to remove the virus from the system, so what is the benefit of quarantine?

Last edited:
Thanks for letting us know!
:icon_wink

Can you access the internet on it? If so, visit the Trend Micro website and perform a free House Call online virus check.

Then download Ad-Aware from http://www.download.com/3000-2144-10045910.html and run it to get rid of adware, spyware and other nasties.

Then come back and tell us whether there is any improvement.

edit: just seen that you have added to your original post. Notwithstanding the fact that you have already used Zone Alarm, I would still run it through Trend House Call to see if it finds other things. And then through Ad-Aware - spyware can be every bit as intrusive as some viruses.

Last edited:
I have been given a friends laptop to fix, it is completely buggered, takes three minutes to load up "My Computer"!

Anway after a very loooong evening I managed to get Zone Alarm on it and set up a scan.
It has found viruses and although most have been deleted automatically, with quite a few it has given me the option of Quarantine or Remove.

Now why has it given me the option of Quarantine? Surely I want to remove the virus from the system, so what is the benefit of quarantine?

Files that are quarantined may be capable of being repaired by later editions of the program. Personally I prefer to remove them.

Last edited:
It was 493 viruses btw!
All the infected files are pretty useless anyway so should I remove the viruses?!?

Last edited:
It was 493 viruses btw!
All the infected files are pretty useless anyway so should I remove the viruses?!?

I would.

i read somewhere that microsofts own virus protections is just as good as any and it doesnt cost anything :102:

Presuming it is XP, click Start > Run, type: msconfig into the run box & OK it.
Sytem Configuration should eventually load up, click on the 'Startup tab' on the right-hand side, click on 'Disable All' button at the bottom, then 'Apply' button , then 'Close' button.
You will then be prompted to reboot. After it reboots it should respond a lot faster & allow you to install & run the apps that have been suggested.

To be honest though, if you can backup anything that your friend wants to keep off of the laptop & reformat/reinstall Windows because it sounds to me as if it is trashed.

Thats one option but on the Tech Support Thread I posted we are making progress!!

Progress? Are you sure? :icon_wink
Joe, it is fuct, well & truly bolloxed.
The most helpful post on that thread is post #27.
Even IF you managed to get rid of all of the junk that show up in the HJT logs, windows itself is most likely beyond repair going by what you have described.

If there is a non-destuctive repair option, that will repair Windows without losing any data, then run it. If there is one, it will be listed in the startup options by pressing, usually, F8 or F10 on bootup, depends on the manufacturer.
After this, backup anything that your friend wants to keep & then reinstall Windows.

If there isn't a repair option, then you are going to have to bite the bullet, try & backup whatever you can & reinstall Windows.

You really are wasting your time trying to do anything else.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669