Volume Icon Disappeared

Status
Not open for further replies.

KempsonFox

My volume icon seems to have completely disappeared from my taskbar in the bottom right corner. My laptop is now stuck without sound.
I've right clicked > properties > but I can't tick the volume box as it's greyed out.
Anyone have any suggestions about what to do?

Cheers

Durham Fox

El Dude Brother.
My volume icon seems to have completely disappeared from my taskbar in the bottom right corner. My laptop is now stuck without sound.
I've right clicked > properties > but I can't tick the volume box as it's greyed out.
Anyone have any suggestions about what to do?

Cheers

reinstall your sound drivers.

SJN-Fox

Go to the "sounds and audio devices" section in Control Panel.

See if there is a tick in the "place volume icon in taskbar" tickbox.

If not, tick the box. If there is, untick the box, click ok. Reopen that window and put the tick in the box, click ok, the taskbar icon should now return.

(This is based on a Win XP machine. I'm assuming it's the same on Vista/7 but I don't have my other laptop to hand to confirm this).

bocadillo

Water Gypsy
Go to the "sounds and audio devices" section in Control Panel.

See if there is a tick in the "place volume icon in taskbar" tickbox.

If not, tick the box. If there is, untick the box, click ok. Reopen that window and put the tick in the box, click ok, the taskbar icon should now return.

(This is based on a Win XP machine. I'm assuming it's the same on Vista/7 but I don't have my other laptop to hand to confirm this).

I think this will lead him to the same problem that he found after right-clicking on the taskbar and selecting Properties - he will find the tickbox greyed out. He needs to reinstall the driver for the sound card.

KempsonFox

Is reinstalling the sound drivers an easy process, could anyone point me in the direction of some tips on how to do it. I'm using XP if that's of any relevance.

bocadillo

Water Gypsy
Is reinstalling the sound drivers an easy process, could anyone point me in the direction of some tips on how to do it. I'm using XP if that's of any relevance.

Control Panel
Device Manager
Sound, video and games controller (or something similar)
Find your sound card and right-click on it
Click on Update Driver

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673