Speculation Waghorn to Hartlepool

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jeff

Administrator
Staff member
This one is so ridiculous it deserves its own thread...

http://www.thenorthernecho.co.uk/sp...9793448.Could_Pools_land_Sunderland_old_boy_/

Hartlepool UNITED are interested in taking former Sunderland striker Martyn Waghorn back to the North-East.

Pools boss Neale Cooper is on the look out for a new striker and has been looking to add free agent Steve Howard to his ranks. There is also an interest in former Leeds front-man Mike Grella.

But Hartlepool have been alerted to the possibility of Leicester City being willing to listen to offers for Waghorn after falling out of favour last season.

There is some stiff competition for the young man from South Shields, with Championship clubs Derby County and Bristol City also known to have shown an interest.

Pools are hoping the prospect of a return to the region could prove attractive, although it could be a lengthy loan deal will be the most likely scenario.

Waghorn, who left Sunderland in the summer of 2010, still has two more years to run on the contract he signed when the Foxes agreed to pay £2m rising to £3m.

Cooper is desperate to improve Hartlepool's firepower ahead of his first full season back in charge at Victoria Park and Waghorn has emerged as one of his leading targets.

Hartlepool have already been in touch with target-man Howard, who is also interesting Notts County after his release from Leicester, but are yet to hear of the player's decision.

Grella, 25, whose contract at Bury ended over the weekend, is now a free agent and has interested Scunthorpe.

Cooper is also keen to take Sunderland's teenage prospect Ryan Noble back for a second loan. The likelihood of that happening, however, is likely to depend largely on how successful the move for Waghorn is.

The former England Under-21 international made his first team debut for Sunderland against Manchester United on Boxing Day 2007. He was handed a two-year contract by Roy Keane in February 2008 but was moved on by Steve Bruce two years later.

His time at Leicester looked like coming to an end last season when he moved to Hull City on loan. However, that was cut short because of a hamstring injury and he returned to action for Leicester's final two Championship games of the season.

Former Middlesbrough defender Jonathan Grounds, meanwhile, has joined Oldham. Hartlepool had shown an interest in teaming up with Jonathan Franks, but have cooled on the idea in recent weeks.

This one is so ridiculous it deserves its own thread...

http://www.thenorthernecho.co.uk/sp...9793448.Could_Pools_land_Sunderland_old_boy_/

Hartlepool UNITED are interested in taking former Sunderland striker Martyn Waghorn back to the North-East.

Pools boss Neale Cooper is on the look out for a new striker and has been looking to add free agent Steve Howard to his ranks. There is also an interest in former Leeds front-man Mike Grella.

But Hartlepool have been alerted to the possibility of Leicester City being willing to listen to offers for Waghorn after falling out of favour last season.

There is some stiff competition for the young man from South Shields, with Championship clubs Derby County and Bristol City also known to have shown an interest.

Pools are hoping the prospect of a return to the region could prove attractive, although it could be a lengthy loan deal will be the most likely scenario.

Waghorn, who left Sunderland in the summer of 2010, still has two more years to run on the contract he signed when the Foxes agreed to pay £2m rising to £3m.

Cooper is desperate to improve Hartlepool's firepower ahead of his first full season back in charge at Victoria Park and Waghorn has emerged as one of his leading targets.

Hartlepool have already been in touch with target-man Howard, who is also interesting Notts County after his release from Leicester, but are yet to hear of the player's decision.

Grella, 25, whose contract at Bury ended over the weekend, is now a free agent and has interested Scunthorpe.

Cooper is also keen to take Sunderland's teenage prospect Ryan Noble back for a second loan. The likelihood of that happening, however, is likely to depend largely on how successful the move for Waghorn is.

The former England Under-21 international made his first team debut for Sunderland against Manchester United on Boxing Day 2007. He was handed a two-year contract by Roy Keane in February 2008 but was moved on by Steve Bruce two years later.

His time at Leicester looked like coming to an end last season when he moved to Hull City on loan. However, that was cut short because of a hamstring injury and he returned to action for Leicester's final two Championship games of the season.

Former Middlesbrough defender Jonathan Grounds, meanwhile, has joined Oldham. Hartlepool had shown an interest in teaming up with Jonathan Franks, but have cooled on the idea in recent weeks.

The right striker to be moving on in my opinion

The right striker to be moving on in my opinion

Why? With Beckford, Nugent, Vardy and Waghorn, I'd say our strikers are pretty much sorted for next season. If Beckford and Nugent can get 15 each, which they seem to be capable of, and the rest of the team chips in with some goals, that should be more than enough.

What makes you think we're going to continue with the old fashioned striker position?
You don't win anything with strikers these days.

We could go with a front three of Dyer, King and Marshall.

Too gung ho for my liking. We should start with Logan up front.

Why? With Beckford, Nugent, Vardy and Waghorn, I'd say our strikers are pretty much sorted for next season. If Beckford and Nugent can get 15 each, which they seem to be capable of, and the rest of the team chips in with some goals, that should be more than enough.

I still think we need to strengthen if possible and I don't think Waghorn is good enough to force his ahead of those 3. Vardy has to prove himself but you'd think he was bought at his age, to be more than just 4th choice. If we're going to move a striker on, I'd rather it be Waghorn than Beckford.

Just about his level, in my humble opinion

I still think we need to strengthen if possible and I don't think Waghorn is good enough to force his ahead of those 3. Vardy has to prove himself but you'd think he was bought at his age, to be more than just 4th choice. If we're going to move a striker on, I'd rather it be Waghorn than Beckford.

Yeah but you'll always need squad players at this level and Waghorn can certainly be one of those, he could net a few coming off the bench during the season and if he scores maybe 5-10 goals coming off the bench, that can make a real difference. After that, I would suspect it is between the other three to prove they deserve to be first choice. Competition for places up front is something we've not had for a while and it keeps everyone on their toes, I don't really think we need to move anyone on in that position, unless we're bringing in someone better than we already have.

Yeah but you'll always need squad players at this level and Waghorn can certainly be one of those, he could net a few coming off the bench during the season and if he scores maybe 5-10 goals coming off the bench, that can make a real difference. After that, I would suspect it is between the other three to prove they deserve to be first choice. Competition for places up front is something we've not had for a while and it keeps everyone on their toes, I don't really think we need to move anyone on in that position, unless we're bringing in someone better than we already have.

I agree. As a squad player he has value, but I don't think he wants to be here as a squad player, which is fair enough. The point I was making was that if we are moving on a striker, he's the one I'd be most comfortable with leaving. I suspect he is on a fairly decent pay packet and any fee we could command would help us in the fair play aspect and/or help bring in a better replacement. Obviously if we don't replace him that would be a concern but if we did bring someone else in I'm happy to let him try to cement a first team place somewhere else.

I agree. As a squad player he has value, but I don't think he wants to be here as a squad player, which is fair enough. The point I was making was that if we are moving on a striker, he's the one I'd be most comfortable with leaving. I suspect he is on a fairly decent pay packet and any fee we could command would help us in the fair play aspect and/or help bring in a better replacement. Obviously if we don't replace him that would be a concern but if we did bring someone else in I'm happy to let him try to cement a first team place somewhere else.

I think now that Pearson's back he'll be happier competing for a place as a squad player - that's essentially what he was when he came here on loan during Pearson's first spell as manager - if it wasn't for Fryatt's injury, he wouldn't have gotten that extended run in the side. I think he'll stay and try to compete for a first team place - whether he can do it is another question. We've seen glimpses of quality from him, he needs to start producing more consistently. I'm sure Pearson will manage to get the best out of him, he always seems to do that with his players.

If our strikeforce stays as it is at this moment in time, I'm confident we'll score goals. The problem is, they were feeding off of scraps last season. Where we really need improvement is in midfield; we need to improve drastically at keeping posession, passing, creating opportunities for the attack and chipping in with goals too. I think if King gets back to his best, if James is as talented as United staff and fans seem to think he is and if Marshall carries on where he left off last season, we've got the makings of a very good midfield. We probably need another winger and a ball winning midfielder, but things are shaping up nicely.

Just about his level, in my humble opinion

Sadly, I think that you are correct. Waghorn made an initial good impression based on motivation and energy which came with his opportunity to play first team football. In spite of Pearce appearing to rate him, I don't think he can play football very well and I'd say he was at his level in Leagues 1 or 2.

I think people are being a tad harsh on Waghorn. He's only 22 years old, and has been royally messed around in his two seasons with us because of serious and unfortunate injuries and Sven's dismissive view of him. Whenever he's had a decent run in either our side or Hull's, he's been pretty effective at this level. He is a strong, willing runner and a decent finisher. He also appears to have a first class attitude on the training ground in terms of work rate and wanting to improve.

What he desperately needs is a relatively injury free season and not be farmed out anywhere else. In my opinion, that will make or break the lad as a striker at a decent level. Yes, we paid too much for him, but that isn't his fault. With seven subs again this season, he'll a very good option from the bench at the very least.

We're nowhere near strong enough as yet to be able to bin someone like this.

Can someone clarify that you want to pay 1.5 million for Cameron Stewart and let Waghorn go?I will volunteer to do the driving and pay for the petrol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4494
2Leeds Utd4590
3Ipswich4490
4Southampton4584
5Norwich City4573
6West Brom4572
7Hull City4570
8Middlesbro4566