Speculation Waghorn to Millwall

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jeff

Administrator
Staff member
Millwall want to sign him permanently - http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11095/8966325/?

"Hopefully we can get Waggy signed up and he can stay," Lomas told the South London Press.

"He's only 23 and I feel he can really kick on by playing regularly with us.

"Ideally you want to bring in players who are in their mid-20s because they've got a long lifespan with you. You don't want to take a short-term view to all of your transfers, you want to look further ahead, even though that's not always possible.

"Waggy has realised what the fans are all about here and if he gives it everything, they'll love him. If he gives it everything and he scores goals, they'll love him even more.

"He has done well and there is more to come from him. He's had a year-and-a-half where he has barely played football, so I think he can get fitter and sharper as well. He can play up front and out wide, so that's a bonus for us. He's a flexible forward.

"He is a good lad, he's hungry, he wants to learn and he wants to get better. That's the type of player we want here. He's been a breath of fresh air to be honest."

There was a spell last season where he had a handful of games and seemed absolutely on fire and unlucky not to score. Then he was dropped and it was difficult to understand why after so short a run in the first team.

Given a proper run, I would back Waghorn to outscore Vardy. Of course, just because Millwall want to sign him, doesn't mean that we will sell............

Given a proper run, I would back Waghorn to outscore Vardy. Of course, just because Millwall want to sign him, doesn't mean that we will sell............

It's that or give him a new deal, as he's out of contract next summer

50 marbles etc.

There was a spell last season where he had a handful of games and seemed absolutely on fire and unlucky not to score. Then he was dropped and it was difficult to understand why after so short a run in the first team.

My feelings exactly

I think Wood's arrival caused him to be nudged down the pecking order. Wood was undeniably good when he first joined, so it was understandable that he took Waghorn's place. Waggy was blistering for several games though and can count himself unlucky that he didn't get the chance to build on those performances, his game against Derby at home was different class and its frustrating that we clearly have another striker who could be an important player for us, its just his inconsistency or Nigel's decisions have cost Waghorn.

Sell him. Giving him a new contract would be ridiculous.

Trying to think of any City striker that has found form with us after a spell on loan elsewhere (even thinking of a striker with form over the last dozen years is hard enough). The only answer I can come up with being David Lowe, who had his moments with us in our first Prem season, after going to Port Vale on loan.

Trying to think of any City striker that has found form with us after a spell on loan elsewhere (even thinking of a striker with form over the last dozen years is hard enough). The only answer I can come up with being David Lowe, who had his moments with us in our first Prem season, after going to Port Vale on loan.

Bugger it, forgot Rooster!

Totally agree. Had Waghorn been given the same number of opportunities as Vardy, I would expect him to have done a better all round job for the team. Overall, I think he offers quite a bit more than Vardy. He simply hasn't been given a run to allow him to get some form. My guess is that his wages are a lot higher than you'd expect so, like a few others, this is a factor in him being elbowed out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4597
2Ipswich4593
3Leeds Utd4590
4Southampton4584
5Norwich City4573
6West Brom4572
7Hull City4570
8Middlesbro4566