Walking Sticks in the ground?

Status
Not open for further replies.
This comes from the official site:

35. In the interests of safety, any disabled, semi ambulant, or any supporters with temporary limb injuries, affecting their ability to walk unaided, including those encased in plaster or requiring the use of crutches, MUST notify either the City Fanstore or contact the Sales Centre by email on [email protected], or by telephone on 0844 815 5000, option 1, in advance, to allow safe seating arrangements to be organised. Alternative seating arrangements will be made available wherever possible either pitchside, or within one of the designated seating areas within the Stadium. For safety reasons, supporters unable to walk unaided must adhere to these terms and conditions. Full details regarding the policy for Safe Seating for semi ambulant/disabled supporters is available on request.

Never had that pa lava at Carlisle went to ticket office I clearly had a stick, no questions asked, got my ticket went to the main stand, the stewards were very helpful. However I suppose there's a big difference between 3000 and 20,000 fans turning up for a match.

Never had that pa lava at Carlisle went to ticket office I clearly had a stick, no questions asked, got my ticket went to the main stand, the stewards were very helpful. However I suppose there's a big difference between 3000 and 20,000 fans turning up for a match.

It really shouldn't be though. I took my dad along to his very first Gateshead match on Saturday and he was astounded at the level of customer service and treatment by stewards/officials/etc. Just a sad indication of how towards the top of football people are taken for granted.

I've never had a problem with my walking stick at various grounds - though it is a couple of years now since I took it to the KP.
Stewards etc are usually quite accommodating.
The conditions that Jeff quotes are not unreasonable - they refer to people unable to walk unaided, not those of us who just need a bit of support!

I've never had a problem with my walking stick at various grounds

I had no problem with a crutch at the Walkers Stadium, and I've had no problem moving seat when I needed to stretch my leg due to a knee problem. The stewards are generally pretty good with stuff like that. I never considered asking at the ticket office, I just assumed common sense would be used.

I've never had a problem with my walking stick at various grounds

Yeah but this is different, Kingy's dad is a bit of a thug. Old Phil will be cracking skulls with his walking stick if Wigan score

Last edited:
Your dad may find leaving the ground a bigger problem than being inside. The crowd leave in a mass and at a definite pace. I had a fall (old people "have a fall" where young people "fall over") leaving the ground after a night match. I was moving too fast for myself.
My advice would be for him to be one of the last to leave the stadium and make sure he goes at his own pace..

Your dad may find leaving the ground a bigger problem than being inside. The crowd leave in a mass and at a definite pace. I had a fall (old people "have a fall" where young people "fall over") leaving the ground after a night match. I was moving too fast for myself.
My advice would be for him to be one of the last to leave the stadium and make sure he goes at his own pace..

Or crowd surf.

Chap that sat the row in front of me has brought his stick with him for 4 or 5 seasons, unfortunately his problems having got progressively worse, so he missed many games last season, so has now given up his ticket, but there was never an issue

Chap that sat the row in front of me has brought his stick with him for 4 or 5 seasons, unfortunately his problems having got progressively worse, so he missed many games last season, so has now given up his ticket, but there was never an issue

Do you know whether he actually informed the club befor his first visit?

It really shouldn't be though. I took my dad along to his very first Gateshead match on Saturday and he was astounded at the level of customer service and treatment by stewards/officials/etc. Just a sad indication of how towards the top of football people are taken for granted.
Fair comment.At our prem match today the stewards were pretty heavy handed.Fortunately the Dragon"s had a very small following so once half a dozen were chucked out it got back to being quite civilised.

I have had a season ticket for a very long time and when the KP was built picked a nice seat near the back of the lower tier of the main stand with a seat on an isle so I could stretch out an increasingly poorly leg. Quite quickly my mobility deteriorated until towards the end of the season 2010 I was having to use 2 elbow support crutches. At one of the last few games I was given the heads up by our friendly steward that folk like me who might be at risk in an emergency evacuation or perhaps cause an additional hazard to fit folk were to be asked to move to designated areas where their needs could be more easily catered for by addional and specially trained stewards.
Rather than wait until the start of the 10/11 season when the better spots were being taken I applied for a move and was given a seat on a wheelchair platform in H block upper. This and another upper platform are served by a lift and have disabled toilets adjacent. There are, on these platforms, one 'carers' seat for each wheelchair space plus around half a dozen extra seats for ambulant or temporary disabled supporters. These are allocated on either a season long basis or if not sold on demand match by match. In addition the lower tier in H block has been designated a special area for supporters with the extra needs.

I have had a season ticket for a very long time and when the KP was built picked a nice seat near the back of the lower tier of the main stand with a seat on an isle so I could stretch out an increasingly poorly leg. Quite quickly my mobility deteriorated until towards the end of the season 2010 I was having to use 2 elbow support crutches. At one of the last few games I was given the heads up by our friendly steward that folk like me who might be at risk in an emergency evacuation or perhaps cause an additional hazard to fit folk were to be asked to move to designated areas where their needs could be more easily catered for by addional and specially trained stewards.
Rather than wait until the start of the 10/11 season when the better spots were being taken I applied for a move and was given a seat on a wheelchair platform in H block upper. This and another upper platform are served by a lift and have disabled toilets adjacent. There are, on these platforms, one 'carers' seat for each wheelchair space plus around half a dozen extra seats for ambulant or temporary disabled supporters. These are allocated on either a season long basis or if not sold on demand match by match. In addition the lower tier in H block has been designated a special area for supporters with the extra needs.

lolz

I rang the club and left a voice message just to confirm. I had a phone call back a few hours later and they confirmed that if he is on crutches we would have to move seats but walking sticks are fine.

My Dad (bless him) walked from the £5 carpark after refusing my offer to drop him at the stadium and when he approached the turnstile he was re-directed through the large gates by a helpful steward. Although he tried to hide it I could tell it was a lot for him and his first big test since the op BUT he made it!

Overall very happy and looking forward to doing it all over again tomorrow!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669