Web Hosting

Status
Not open for further replies.

TornadoShaunUK

Ok guys I'm looking to buy some web hosting. I've been looking round and I've found a decent package that comes to around £30 a year with 1and1.co.uk. However I also need a domain name, now I already have a domain name registered with another provider (123reg). Is it psosible to get web hosting with another provider on that domain or is it recommended that I get the domain name transferred over to the provider that I'm going to be getting my web hosting from? Alternatively, as the cost isn't that much anyway, is it recommended just to avoid the hassle and just buy another domain name for the web hosting?

To clarify, it's not to host a website or anything at present, it's only to host an eBay listing template, so I'm only after a fairly basic web hosting package. They all seem to be around £30 a year and this 1and1.co.uk seems to offer the best value for that price.

Any suggestions or advice much appreciated!

You don't need to have the domain with the same company as the hosting.

The easiest way to do it is when you buy the hosting, to go into the 123reg control panel and change the DNS so the A records point to the IP address of the hosting account.

I don't think 1and1 have their servers in the UK (The Netherlands I think), but that's probably not going to be an issue for what you're using it for.

I've just signed up with 000host or something sinmilar, it's free and does what I need to. Do not register a domain with uk2.net though as the robbing bastards will charge to point it elsewhere.

Can't hurt to give them a go if they are free. Like I said, I only need it to host an eBay listing template myself. Heck, looks like they give 1.5GB disk space which is more than I've seen some of the charged subscriptions offer. Cheers for the heads up.

EDIT - except I've just read in the terms of service it says "9. Account cannot be used to store files only (allowed if you upgrade account)" which I guess means this is not an option for me.

Last edited:
Can't hurt to give them a go if they are free. Like I said, I only need it to host an eBay listing template myself. Heck, looks like they give 1.5GB disk space which is more than I've seen some of the charged subscriptions offer. Cheers for the heads up.

EDIT - except I've just read in the terms of service it says "9. Account cannot be used to store files only (allowed if you upgrade account)" which I guess means this is not an option for me.

point your domain at it and you'll be fine. File storage is when people use it as an online hard disk or to store files to serve from another domain. If you are hosting a web page you will be fine.

I don't think it is a web page though. I'd imagine it just amounts to what is a fancy png. image, not really sure what file format the completed template is going to be in. I did ask the designer if it would be possible to host it on a free image site like photobucket but they said no because it is multiple images they only allow these sort of files to be hosted on those sites for 90 days.....

It's all a bit confusing for someone who is not overly techy to be honest, part of me thinks for the sake of £30 I'm probably better off just going with a reliable paid for plan and see how it goes for a year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4494
2Leeds Utd4590
3Ipswich4389
4Southampton4484
5West Brom4472
6Norwich City4472
7Hull City4469
8Coventry City4363