Well done, Gary

Status
Not open for further replies.

BOB HAZELL

Gary Lineker is to stop writing articles for the Mail on Sunday after it published a story he says damaged England's 2018 World Cup bid.

The paper ran an article which alleged that Lord Triesman, then chairman of the 2018 bid team, had suggested Spain could drop its bid if rival bidder Russia helped bribe referees at this summer's World Cup.

Lord Triesman has since resigned from his position, as well as from his post as chairman of the Football Association.

Lineker, the former England captain and Match of the Day presenter, told Eddie Mair on Radio 4's PM that he could not continue as a columnist for a paper which had "clearly damaged" England's bid.

Last edited:
Fair play to him for making a stance, but anyone who agrees to take a job at the Mail needs shooting in the first place.

The sports supplement used to be only decent thing about the paper......

The Mail has the best Science section of any paper for those like myself who have no science background Its coverage of History and Heritage issues is better than some of the broadsheets.

In the end there are only three sources of information that are essential - the BBC, the Facebook page for Kings Lock Tearooms and Talking Balls. The rest of the internet is just fluff.

The Mail has the best Science section of any paper for those like myself who have no science background.

Wow. Near to the complete opposite of the true case. The first thing any layperson should read in the mainstream media on science is Ben Goldacre's 'Bad Science' column in the Guardian - thankfully he's allowed to put the full thing plus extras on his blog.

Check it out: http://www.badscience.net/

Edit: and just look at the section in it on the Mail!

Last edited:
Wow. Near to the complete opposite of the true case. The first thing any layperson should read in the mainstream media on science is Ben Goldacre's 'Bad Science' column in the Guardian - thankfully he's allowed to put the full thing plus extras on his blog.

A top man is Dr Ben :038:

In fairness to David though, he does concede that he has no science background, so is possibly easily fooled if psuedoscience is presented in an easily ingested form.

Don't worry though, when I eventually achieve total global domination, hate rags like the Mail won't just be banned, they will be utterly destroyed. In a balanced and equitable way, of course.

A top man is Dr Ben :038:

In fairness to David though, he does concede that he has no science background, so is possibly easily fooled if psuedoscience is presented in an easily ingested form.

Don't worry though, when I eventually achieve total global domination, hate rags like the Mail won't just be banned, they will be utterly destroyed. In a balanced and equitable way, of course.

Thank you for the tip. I will certainly look at Bad Science. The Science in The Times and Telegraph does tend to assume readers know the difference between an enzyme and a molecule etc.

To be fair to the Mail (which always annoys Guardian/Indy readers) the Science I would like to understand geology, evolution and astronomy seems to be treasted seriously. I have never seen the Mail promote what I think of as pseudo-science - astrology, creationism, alien abduction.

. At the age of 60 I saw the Grand Canyon and Yellowstone for the first time and knew I had made a mistake dropping Science at 14 and that if I had seen them when young I would have become a Geologist.

So Bad Science it is.

In a roundabout way.

Geology just tells me that my pond will flood because the rocks on it's bed aren't porous enough.
Evolution just proves that the egg came before the chicken.
Astronomy just tells us how meaningless and fragile life and everything is. So enjoy it why you can.

Last edited:
In a roundabout way.

Geology just tells me that my pond will flood because the rocks on it's bed aren't porous enough.
Evolution just proves that the egg came before the chicken.
Astronomy just tells us how meaningless and fragile life and everything is. So enjoy it why you can.

And the Daily Mail tells us that immigrants are killing our women and raping our men............. :icon_wink

Always thought Gary was a bit too tanned to write for The Heil anyway

Absolutely spot on. On science the Mail is a disgrace. In pursuing their campaigns truth is of no interest to them. The way some brilliant and distinguished Academics, including the Professors of Plant Science at both Oxford and Cambridge were treated during the vitriolic antiGM campaign was disgusting. Both men are dedicated to pure science and are not in the pay of big industry. The Mail did publish my letter to this effect at the time - then I ended up getting hate mail!

then I ended up getting hate mail!

I've calmed down now - apologies for the letters. Seriously though, the amount of guff the supposed " serious " papers print as fact, even though they are just press releases from some vested interest or another is a disgrace to journalism. With regard to Ben Goldacre, I was surprised how well his bad Science book sold. I could be wrong, but I thing he also writes as " M.D. " in Private Eye.

I've calmed down now - apologies for the letters. Seriously though, the amount of guff the supposed " serious " papers print as fact, even though they are just press releases from some vested interest or another is a disgrace to journalism. With regard to Ben Goldacre, I was surprised how well his bad Science book sold. I could be wrong, but I thing he also writes as " M.D. " in Private Eye.

Phil Hammond apparently. From that font of all knowledge, Wikipedia, "He also writes a column in Private Eye usually named Medicine Balls, under the pseudonym "M.D."

Obviously the Mail doesn't want us to host the World Cup. At the end of the tournament we'll have 31 different flavours of immigrant 'forgetting' to go back to their own country. It won't be long before they're claiming benefits and getting free cars and mansions. Hell in a handcart, couldn't make it up, etc etc you know the rest.

R. Littlejohn

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4597
2Ipswich4593
3Leeds Utd4590
4Southampton4584
5Norwich City4573
6West Brom4572
7Hull City4570