Wes is the best

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lboro fox

According to Peter Beagrie...

WES IS BEST
Hi Peter, Who do you think is the best central defender in the Championship? I may be biased but I think Charlton's Michael Morrison has to be up there. Thanks, Michael May (Charlton fan)

Wes-Morgan-Leicester_2813604.jpg
BEAGS SAYS: Michael, your namesake Mr Morrison is certainly up there and is a player I have held in high regard ever since I saw him develop at Cambridge and, latterly, at Leicester, under the tutelage of ex-centre-half Nigel Pearson. Morrison played in a back five when he was with the Foxes and was also switched to right-back, such was his versatility and ability on the ball; he is not the biggest but he attacks the ball brilliantly, has very good distribution and is an organiser, too. But I have to say that the player who has completely changed my opinion from ordinary to outstanding is Leicester's Wes Morgan. He was brilliant at Nottingham Forest and reached a level of performance that had a lot of club clamouring for his signature, something City captured this summer. He has matured into the most consistent Championship centre-back.

http://www.skysports.com/opinion/story/0,,15231_8294045,00.html

I only remember us playing a back five once in both of Pearson's tenures here and that was last season away to Palace after Morrison had left the club. Morrison always looked an excellent prospect, not a flashy defender, but read the game so well and always seemed to be in the right place at the right time to intercept. Unfortuantly he was one of a number of player ruined by Paulo Sousa (how could one man do so much damage such a bright young squad in such a very short space of time?)

As for Big Wes, well he is the best defender we've had since Elliott and Taggart and unbelievably consistent (I don't think he's even had an average game this season let alone last). We have the best defence in the division imo and Wes is the major reason for that. I can't imagine that there has been a better defender in the Championship so far this season and that he wouldn't walk into the Championship team of the year if it were done now.

Agreed he is the best in the championship currently. I also agree he is the best we have had since Taggart and Elliott. On that front though he has not had much competition. Good player.

A relevation for me. Always had him down as a donkey and then once at City thought he was competent but culpable to an error.

However, the pudding he's lost as improved him greatly. Been brilliant.

That article is so typical of major media sources on anything other than the Premier League - errors throughout

I only remember us playing a back five once in both of Pearson's tenures here and that was last season away to Palace after Morrison had left the club.

Perhaps Beagrie is talking out of his arse as he usually does or he is including the goalkeeper.

A relevation for me. Always had him down as a donkey and then once at City thought he was competent but culpable to an error.

However, the pudding he's lost as improved him greatly. Been brilliant.

That article is so typical of major media sources on anything other than the Premier League - errors throughout

Aye, we didn't signed him last summer, Peter.

Perhaps he's just trying to build some bridges with Pearson after the Forest game!

An ordinary big lump when he came to us

Outstanding this season - best I've seen so far in this league, but I've not seen everyone first hand

Best thing he could have done coming here, quite clearly, as Pearson has improved him immeasurably

I only remember us playing a back five once in both of Pearson's tenures here and that was last season away to Palace after Morrison had left the club. Morrison always looked an excellent prospect, not a flashy defender, but read the game so well and always seemed to be in the right place at the right time to intercept. Unfortuantly he was one of a number of player ruined by Paulo Sousa (how could one man do so much damage such a bright young squad in such a very short space of time?)

Would love to still have Hobbs or Morrison here to play alongside Big Wes.

Last edited:
Agreed, a bit like homer in a sex den...I don't think he's found the right partner yet.

He formed what looked like an exceptional partnership with SSL before SSL got injured. Was bringing the best out of SSL who was playing his best football since he'd been here as well earlier in the season.

He formed what looked like an exceptional partnership with SSL before SSL got injured. Was bringing the best out of SSL who was playing his best football since he'd been here as well earlier in the season.

SSL should've stayed out of the sex den.

In all seriousness, you are right.

I am sure that St Ledger and Whitbread will prove to be more than able partners. Promotion is a realistic thought. Though I think a proven goalscorer would almost guarantee it!

I am sure that St Ledger and Whitbread will prove to be more than able partners. Promotion is a realistic thought. Though I think a proven goalscorer would almost guarantee it!

About as guaranteed as promotion through the play-offs!

I certainly agree that Wes Morgan is an outstanding centre back and he is doing it at Championship level. For me the two centrebacks I most enjoyed watching were Bamba and Tunchev. Enjoyable is not the same as best and Bamba took too many risks. We only saw a fit Tunchev for a few weeks at League One level but I felt then that we had managed to get a Premiership quality defender; I am not sure that Wes is a better centreback.

Going only from his Forest days, I always thought Morgan was an above average pub player making the most of his limited skills.

Going only from his Forest days, I always thought Morgan was an above average pub player making the most of his limited skills.

That's what he was when he joined

A proper manager, a proper club and a proper coaching set up has made him into a much better player

Siad it before and say it again, massively disappointed when we signed him for that sort of money, thought he was a donkey, an unfit lump. Well, now the signing of the Championship, an absolute revelation. Pearson definitely bringing out the best in him and Morgan i am sure will do the same for Whitbread, SSL and more importantly a young Liam Moore. He is the kind of rock you need to build a promotion winning team.
He doesn't move and look as athletic or entertaining as Bamba but i wouldn't swap them now DG.

I think that says more about F0r£$t than it does about Wes

I certainly agree that Wes Morgan is an outstanding centre back and he is doing it at Championship level. For me the two centrebacks I most enjoyed watching were Bamba and Tunchev. Enjoyable is not the same as best and Bamba took too many risks. We only saw a fit Tunchev for a few weeks at League One level but I felt then that we had managed to get a Premiership quality defender; I am not sure that Wes is a better centreback.

How naff to quote yourself but I now withdraw this comment.

Despite two disappointing results - draw with Barnsley and loss to Cardiff - the last couple of occasions I have seen Wes he has been immense. He is a magnificent defender and has solved the captaincy problem. I now rate him above even Tunchev. Great stuff Wes.

Disagree about today, David. His worst performance of the season for me. Gifted Cardiff at least 2 chances they should've done better with. Still been by far our best player this season but he had a rare off day today for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669