Wes Morgan

Status
Not open for further replies.

lanxfox

I have to admit that when we signed Wes from Florist I wasn't that impressed but after his performances this season I have hold my hand up and admit that he has been one of our best signings in recent years. Steve Walsh is my favourite player of all time for the simple reasons that I never thought we'd lose when he played and for his never beaten until the final whistle attitude. At the moment Wes is looking like the best centre half we've had in a decade. Solid as a rock at the back and not frightened to go in where it hurts. Not short on skill either. Watch out Steve , Wes is catching up in the all time favourite stakes

Like you I also had my doubts about Wes when he was signed, one club man, lack of ambition also came into my mind. However he has proved to be an inspired signing. Is it my imagination or has he lost weight, being fitter would certainly help his game. After Kaspers penalty save last night he demonstrated speed of thought and reaction to get to the ball first, he was also behind the penalty taker when he started terrific defending. I believe he is the best centre half we have had for many many years, lets hope that he stays injury free, he is a crucial part of our promotion push.

At the beginning of the season with young Liam by his side, WM had a certain amount of coaching/guidance to do.
In recent weeks, with established centre half by his side (and the loss of a few lbs ;)) he is certainly showing his credentials.

So far so good. Unlucky not to score last night.

For me he went from lumbering donkey to competent player prone to lapses to currently rolls royce defender.

A lot was made of Bamba's departure by purists but he's a bloke who can DEFEND and is capable of a trick or two.

Also think a lot more is to come from Whitbread. His left foot balances us at the back but he clearly needs game time.

Also think a lot more is to come from Whitbread. His left foot balances us at the back but he clearly needs game time.

And underrated and important part of a balanced back four. A naturally left-footed centre back is a gift from the heavens. See also: Steve Walsh, Gerry Taggart.

Last edited:
For me he went from lumbering donkey to competent player prone to lapses to currently rolls royce defender.

A lot was made of Bamba's departure by purists but he's a bloke who can DEFEND and is capable of a trick or two.

I knew Bamba leaving was a huge blessing at the time. It's absolutely no coincidence that the back four this season have been the foundation on which we have built from - take a look at any Pearson side.

Bamba and Mills were walking disasters, while Peltier was no better at times. This time it's so much different and we can breathe a whole lot easier. God bless you Wesley.

Is de Laet better than Peltier? Honest question, I haven't seem much of him and never really rated Peltier much.

I've seen De Laet a few times this season and I believe he probably edges it at the moment. If he makes a mistake he's so bloody quick he can usually rectify it. His positioning still leaves a little to be desired but I'm confident he'll get there alongside the current set-up.

Hasn't even had an average game this season let alone a bad one. He is an absolute beast at the back. He is the main reason that only Brighton have conceded fewer than us in the league so far this season.

Is de Laet better than Peltier? Honest question, I haven't seem much of him and never really rated Peltier much.

IMO, De Laet is no better, in fact he's probably much worse defensively. However, he does make up with it for his pace and desire to go forward and creates chances.

RDL Is fantastic going forward, he often carries the ball all the way from right back to the byline and puts in a half decent delivery, there were times last night where he was running directly at a facing defender with 20yds until he reached him and still the defender didn't know how to stop him.

I'm waiting for Homers comment. I was expecting a crock of sh...but I am pleased instead he is a solid rock which the tight arse of a defence has been built around.

Indeed he is the modern day Pearson and perhaps what Nigel has always been waiting for. He thought perhaps he had a young version in Hobbs but perhaps it was too early for that to be put on him but it looks like big Wes is the way.

I'm waiting for Homers comment. I was expecting a crock of sh...but I am pleased instead he is a solid rock which the tight arse of a defence has been built around.
To be fair to Homer he has already admitted his assessment was incorrect a couple of times! More than happy we had reservations about the signing, on this occassion I'm more than happy to be wrong!

Echo all positive comments on Wes.

On RDL, I personally think he is better than Peltier with the potential to be much better than Peltier. Admittedly, he has been found lacking in positional sense on occassion and he has given the ball away a bit too much (last night being a prime example), but he is a focussed and committed full back who can tackle and win the ball in the air. He is also very dangerous going forward, can run with the ball, cross it, and has a nice touch. I think he'll get better and will become an excellent right back. I do worry for his injury proneness however.

I think Konchesky has had a very good turnaround in form also, there were quite a few moans & groans about his performances for a while.

I admit to being very sceptical and annoyed when we signed Morgan, especially as i had enjoyed watching Bamba, who, despite the heart in mouth moments, i still believe to have class. But Morgan has proved all the doubters wrong, he is immense in every sense of the word. His performances have been fantastic, mainly solid, with an unexpected touch of Bamba flair he is proving a worthy captain.

In a couple of recent games I have also seen the 'spirit' of Bamba emerging as Wes starts taking the ball upfield.

What next from Wes, stepovers?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4597
2Ipswich4593
3Leeds Utd4590
4Southampton4584
5Norwich City4573
6West Brom4572