Wes Morgan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Feriol

Given that some people are calling for Cambiasso to be captain next season I thought it Wes's contribution would make a worthy discussion.

For much of the season he was our weakest link IMO, but he has been as solid as Was and Hugh in this run, and as captain surely deserves some credit for our team spirit?

While he lacks composure sometimes, his 'desperate' style of defending has saved us on occasion. With more experience and confidence going into next season I think he could still be good for us, and it would be harsh to strip him of the captaincy.

i think Wes has extracted the absolute maximum that he possibly can this season, and should be really happy that he's taken his first chance in the Premier and made a success of it.
That said, he cannot pass the ball steadily under pressure and has deflected many shots into his own goal through desperate last minute lunges.
His up-turn in fortunes has coincided with Huth taking centre stage and Schlupp becoming a more reliable outlet and defensive coverer down the left. Our 5 of 6 clean sheets are down to the group, but more down to others in the team than Morgan.
I think Pearson's first thoughts in the close season will be about Huth and another commanding centre half. Cambiasso doesn't need to be captain in order to be a stronger influence on the side than Morgan....
Morgan should remain in the squad but can't be considered a certainty to stay in the side if we are looking to progress.

He has been better since Huth came in but feck me he was bad before that. Personally I think defence is the key area we need to improve and should have done so before this season started IMO. Cambiasso is a great shout for next season's captaincy if we can get him to stay on. I'd like to see a bit more experience/quality bought in the midfield as well.

First, great season from Morgan. Has only missed 1 game so far. No one else has reached 30 games.

Many of his defensive mistakes were throwing his body in front of the ball, but only getting a goalward deflection instead of safely wide or stopped. Others did the same.

Huth coming in took control of the defence, and let Morgan focus more on his own game rather than worrying about those around him.

Cambiasso rarely shouts at anyone, but he is constantly talking to everyone in the team, and that is much easier to do from the midfield.

Also, with no disrespect to Morgan, I think Cambiasso reads the game better and faster than anyone else on the park, including the other team.

He had the confidence to to Nigel with 10 games to go with a plan for how to take on each remaining team to beat them!

This guy is an absolute legend. He comes into a team who, apart a couple of players, have never played in this league and plans how to win games as if he was helping Inter Milan or Real Madrid get to the Champions League Final. From his reaction at Sunderland you would thought he had been at the club for 10 years, it meant so much to him.

The defence has got stronger. The forwards have started shooting and the midfield has bossed the game for us. I do not think Morgan would be upset in the least if Nigel offered the Captaincy to Cambiasso.

First, great season from Morgan. Has only missed 1 game so far. No one else has reached 30 games.

When you say games do you mean starts? Because Ulloa, Vardy, Schlupp and Cambiasso have all made 30 or more league appearances.

Last edited:
I agree with everything Mike said apart from offering the captaincy to Cambiasso.

I love the way he talks to everyone, including the officials, during the match but I think he feels he can do this whilst being treated as an ordinary but experienced player and not with the official title of captain. It's perhaps a responsibility that he might not like to have especially as it could upset the original captain/cause some underlying tension.

Yes, Morgan was awful until Huth came into the side. I can't see it changing though and I reckon Wes has one more season....

For much of the season I thought Wes wasn't up to this level - but as soon as they partnered him with Huth, he looked every bit the Premiership player

For much of the season I thought Wes wasn't up to this level - but as soon as they partnered him with Huth, he looked every bit the Premiership player
Agree with that, it was quite a transformation. Has to be said, Was played well too in the three at the back formation.

Following on from that, RS, I'd argue the point that RDL also played well in a 3 when he's come on for Was.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4494
2Leeds Utd4590
3Ipswich4490
4Southampton4584
5Norwich City4573
6West Brom4572
7Hull City4570
8Middlesbro4566