What should Paul Gallagher's main position be?

Status
Not open for further replies.

East Anglia Fox

I noticed on this article that even Chris Powell doesn't seem to consider Gallagher a striker as he says 'all the strikers have scored', from which we can gather that Gallagher isn't considered one, since he hasn't yet scored.

http://www.thebluearmy.co.uk/news/D...y-careers/article-2430887-detail/article.html

Clearly before he came to this club, nobody would have suggested his primary role was playing on the wing, but under Pearson, that was certainly where he played most of the time. However, does this get the best out of him (his hat-trick against Scunny was one of the rare occasions he was played up front)?

Would people like to see this continue under Sousa or would it be preferable to say, have a four-way-competition between himself, DJ, Howard, and Fryatt?

Last edited:
Hes probably our most naturally gifted player but he doesn't seem to have settled in to a position yet. He's certainly not a 'striker' but may be able to play off someone else upfront.

At least the merc have realised Yann ain't a striker, but a floating butterfly creating sweet beautiful football in the hole

his hat-trick against Scunny was one of the rare occasions he was played up front

No, it wasn't. He played as a right winger in that game, as he did the majority of the season.

Stand by for the most bizarre comment of the week:

That was not supposed to be the post. Still there is some egotistical satisfaction in quoting myself.

Stand by for the most bizarre comment of the week: Gallagher's football is like Wagners music - wonderful moments but oh those dreadful quarters of an hour

It can happen that he has enough good moments to have played brilliantly as against Scunthorpe but this is very rare. Gallagher gives the ball away at a rate that Ryan McGivern would envy. His tackling is extremely awkward: I was going to write something unkind but I will just say they are the tackles of a player who is not naturally brave.

In short for me Gallagher's best position is on the bench as an impact sub.

I'd put him in centre midfield, but not alongside any of our present rota (maybe Spearing or someone who can tackle).

More to the point, I think several of NPs stalwarts (or those he indulged) could be on their way in the next few weeks - Gally might be one of them.

Serving my pint at half time. Consistently underperformed last season, seems unwilling to try to go past players, lightweight in the tackle and can't head the ball. Good at set pieces and has an eye for goal, but that ain't enough in my opinion.

For someone who can't head the ball he scored a fantastic header against Scunthorpe.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669