What's with the spam webbo?

Status
Not open for further replies.
DurhamFox said:
How did I get emails at work when that's not my registered email address?

Maybe you used your work address for your other user name.

The person who sent the spam joined using a Russian email address, he managed to make himself a site admin, so he had the power to do anything I can do, he could have deleted posts, made Joe_Fox a mod or anything. He changed some of the forum settings and sent out spam to all users.

Because hacks into this forum software happen so frequently I'm on a mailing list that's supposed to tell me when new patches are released. The last email I received was at the end of February. There have been two security updates since then, but I haven't received an email to tell me about them so I wasn't aware of the potential problems. I'm thinking of changing to different forum software, that's less susceptible to attacks of this type.

webmaster said:
DurhamFox said:
How did I get emails at work when that's not my registered email address?

Maybe you used your work address for your other user name.

The person who sent the spam joined using a Russian email address, he managed to make himself a site admin, so he had the power to do anything I can do, he could have deleted posts, made Joe_Fox a mod or anything. He changed some of the forum settings and sent out spam to all users.

Because hacks into this forum software happen so frequently I'm on a mailing list that's supposed to tell me when new patches are released. The last email I received was at the end of February. There have been two security updates since then, but I haven't received an email to tell me about them so I wasn't aware of the potential problems. I'm thinking of changing to different forum software, that's less susceptible to attacks of this type.

other name? I don't know what you are talking about :oops:

I must say however it was a brilliant and cunning email to try and get me to send $10. :lol:

If you are going to run a scam at least put some effort in :roll:

Fortunately I was still up at around 5:45 when the spam was sent, so I was able to do something about it fairly quickly.
If I'd gone to bed at my usual time or around 5am I wouldn't have known about it until getting up this afternoon, and he could have done all sorts of damage by then.

webmaster said:
If I'd gone to bed at my usual time or around 5am I wouldn't have known about it until getting up this afternoon....
Tough life eh??

he's probably a russian forest fan. KILL HIM.

:smt067 :smt071 :smt068 :smt070 :smt063

Are these issues related to the fact the forum deosn't seem to higlhlight new posts now? or at least they aren't highlighted for me now.

DurhamFox said:
Are these issues related to the fact the forum deosn't seem to higlhlight new posts now? or at least they aren't highlighted for me now.

New posts should still be highlighted with an orangey thing on the left, it's still doing that for me, nothing has changed that could have stopped it from happening.

DurhamFox said:
Must be my end then :?

What's wrong with your end? Have you seen a doctor?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669