When

Status
Not open for further replies.

mad biker

was the last time the mighty Blues went through the month of January unbeaten ???

I'm sure that was meant as a rhetorical question - but I'll answer it anyway!

The last time we were unbeaten in January was in 1979.

Our league position then was very similar to now, we were 16th in the second division.

We only played 3 games in the month, all at home, and two of them were memorable matches.

The first one was on new year's day, when we beat Oldham 2-0.
We had three debutants that day - Bobby Smith, Dave Buchanan and Gary Lineker. I was so impressed by one of them he instantly became my favourite player. Sadly I hadn't spotted the potential of the future England captain, it was Bobby Smith who caught my eye. I think I only liked him because he had a proper footballers haircut and came from my favourite Scottish team, Hibs. Smith and Buchanan both scored. Lineker had to wait nearly 4 months for his first goal.

The second match of the month was on the 6th, in the cup against Norwich, when we won 3-0.
Bad weather at the time meant that most of the day's matches were called off, so the match of the day cameras were diverted to Filbert Street, where the tent ensured the match could take place - and Keith Weller could score a wonder goal (and his last for Leicester), in his white tights. I was standing at the front of pen 4 at the time and had a perfect view of his mazy run. Larry May and Martin Henderson got the less memorable goals. Norwich were in the first division at the time, so our comprehensive win was a bit of a shock.

The final match was on the 20th, when we drew 1-1 with Blackburn. I can't remember anything about this match. Larry May got the goal.

We only stayed unbeaten that month due to the weather. Our fourth round FA cup match away at Oldham was postponed, and they beat us 3-1 in the rearranged game, which didn't take place until the end of February. Alan Young scored a hat-trick for Oldham, and was signed by Leicester soon afterwards.

You have done well to remember that lot.
I cant remember what happened yestereday. actually I cant remember what happened today.

step said:
You have done well to remember that lot.
I cant remember what happened yestereday. actually I cant remember what happened today.

What?!?!?

Who are you?

Where am I :? :wink:

mad biker said:
was the last time the mighty Blues went through the month of January unbeaten ???

I don't remember (well done on that display of knowlege webbo) but things are starting to look up :D

Honestly Webbo, do you consult 'Fossills and Foxes' or is that all from memory? Amazing either way pal.

alex said:
Honestly Webbo, do you consult 'Fossills and Foxes' or is that all from memory? Amazing either way pal.

I used OF&F to look up the reults in January until I found a year that we were unbeaten. When I found it was 1979 I remembered the first two games, because they stand out as important games from that era, for the reasons I gave. I had to look up two of the scorers from the Norwich game though!

webmaster said:
I'm sure that was meant as a rhetorical question - but I'll answer it anyway!

The last time we were unbeaten in January was in 1979.

Our league position then was very similar to now, we were 16th in the second division.

We only played 3 games in the month, all at home, and two of them were memorable matches.

The first one was on new year's day, when we beat Oldham 2-0.
We had three debutants that day - Bobby Smith, Dave Buchanan and Gary Lineker. I was so impressed by one of them he instantly became my favourite player. Sadly I hadn't spotted the potential of the future England captain, it was Bobby Smith who caught my eye. I think I only liked him because he had a proper footballers haircut and came from my favourite Scottish team, Hibs. Smith and Buchanan both scored. Lineker had to wait nearly 4 months for his first goal.

The second match of the month was on the 6th, in the cup against Norwich, when we won 3-0.
Bad weather at the time meant that most of the day's matches were called off, so the match of the day cameras were diverted to Filbert Street, where the tent ensured the match could take place - and Keith Weller could score a wonder goal (and his last for Leicester), in his white tights. I was standing at the front of pen 4 at the time and had a perfect view of his mazy run. Larry May and Martin Henderson got the less memorable goals. Norwich were in the first division at the time, so our comprehensive win was a bit of a shock.

The final match was on the 20th, when we drew 1-1 with Blackburn. I can't remember anything about this match. Larry May got the goal.

We only stayed unbeaten that month due to the weather. Our fourth round FA cup match away at Oldham was postponed, and they beat us 3-1 in the rearranged game, which didn't take place until the end of February. Alan Young scored a hat-trick for Oldham, and was signed by Leicester soon afterwards.

WTF???
after stealing our manager, half our squad and 3 of our stands (rumour) i deman u remove that vile slander!

btw i used to know bobby smith, he had a pub in dalkeith where i'm from called Smith's. very original. think hes driving a cab now

youngscot said:
WTF???
after stealing our manager, half our squad and 3 of our stands (rumour) i deman u remove that vile slander!

Hibs have been my favourite Scottish team for the last 30 years, I can't change my team just because we've nicked your manager and a couple of players!
I don't dislike Hearts though, not being from Edinburgh the local rivalry doesn't mean anything to me.

Be interesting to see where Leicester go for pre-season in the summer. I enjoyed our matches in Scotland last year, and I'd like to go back again.
I'm sure a match against Hearts would be competitive - and well attended. How do you think Hearts fans would react to Levein if he took Leicester up there for a friendly?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669