Which City player was your best?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who-Izzet

I'm interested in seeing who is our all-time favorite player at Leicester that we have seen through the season's whether it be on the telly or at the games.

I would have to say for me it was Tommy Wright the winger/forward who blessed us with his trickery from 89-92. I was a regular at Filbert Street back then & he really knew how to get the crowd going. Everytime he got the ball the fans would chant his name & as soon as he had it you knew something was going to happen.

He was one of those players that would get the ball & run at his opponents & it amazed me how he never played for his country at full international level. I'm not saying he was the best player but he was certainly the guy I enjoyed watching the most.

I found this link, I think he is still playing for Kings Lynn!

http://www.leedsfans.org.uk/leeds/players/440.html

Steve Walsh
Neil Lennon
Steve Thompson
Tony Cottee
Steve Claridge
Matt Elliott (along with southgate the defender i like to base my own game on)

oh yeah and Rooster was always a bit of a cult hero, and you atre correct about Tommy Wright. Will always remember his performance in the 5-0 play off win over Cambridge in 92.

only been goin leicester for ten years so i have to say muzzy izzet. in my eyes muzzy gave everything for this club, he wore his heart on his sleeve always gave 110% and most of all he was a very loyal and honest man. he could have left us wen we were at probably our lowest i have ever seen us, but decided to stay and try and help us stay up, then he rejected aston villa to try and get us back up seen out his contract and left.i also know that he asked to stay with us for two more years on a wage cut but adams wanted him to lower his wages even more. but muz wouldnt. he even owned up that handball against man city when he won us that penalty that dickov missed.

Rooster Russell the super sub, yeah I remember him. Cracking player.

I think my other would have to be Steve Walsh for many reasons. Totally committed. Had an amazing season up front with David Speedie years back in the little & large combination. Always popped up with important goals & I just enjoyed watching him ruffle up those strikers. When I think Leicester I think Walsh, a Leicester legend in my books.

I used to play sweeper for a host of clubs & tried to base my game on Walshies. Now I play right-wing for Tywyn Bryncrug currently top of our league in Wales & I wish I done it earlier. When I was 18 I played for Stoney Stanton, Sapcote then went onto play a few games for Blaby Utd but then moved to Wales. Anyone played against any?

Muz was another great player, I enjoyed watching. Ah if only we still had him here.

Got that wrong about Tommy he is now youth coach at Oldham

Thats right Martyn, didnt he miss a penalty against Blackburn in the final that year?

I went to the league game against Cambridge back then, I think I got the program somewhere & Claridge was playing for them.

Who-Izzet said:
Thats right Martyn, didnt he miss a penalty against Blackburn in the final that year?

I went to the league game against Cambridge back then, I think I got the program somewhere & Claridge was playing for them.

I was privileged to watch many City greats. Gordon Banks, Peter Shilton, Frank Worthington, Derek Dougan, Steve Claridge, Steve Walsh and so on but one footballer transcended all ... Davie Gibson.

If memory serves he was a £25,000 signing from Scotland. City became a freescoring side during his time - a match for the best Liverpool and Manchester united sides ever seen up until then. And Gibson was the fulcrum of that success.

He was so skillful he could catch a goalkeeper's punt upfield on his toe and literally throw the ball over a challenging defender into the path of a colleague. On the muddiest days he could finish a match with immaculate kit, such was his balance, and he could genuinely land the ball on a pound note from any distance and with any spin.

Not a mean goalscorer either but it was his passing that was legendary. In the days when defenders would clean up anyone who looked a bit tricky Gibbo rarely let em get near him. Sidespin, backspin, overspin, his passes avoided and bissected anything in his way and often left little for his colleagues to do but slide the ball into the net.

He was so good I recall him being engaged to give half-time demonstrations of ball skills based on and around the centre circle which were truly mesmeric. Last I heard Davie was still in Leicestershire running a care home. Small, slight, inclined to bow legs but a true footballing genius.

My youngest son once teased "Bet he wasn't as good as Beckham". Nothing against the modern icon but fans of the time will know the truth. There really was no comparison - and Gibbo was always a credit to the game he graced and so obviously loved.

I started to watch City at the start of the Brian Little era. At the time my favourites were, Stevie Walsh, Stevie Thompson, Julian Joachim and Iwan Roberts. As the years have gone on the likes of Stevie Claridge, Muzzy Izzet, Neil Lennon and Kasey Keller have won my affection. But with the squad changing so much over the last few years there's not many players who stick around long enough to become heros, only the likes of Walker, Scowcroft and Dickov. But my personal all time fav is possibly Iwan for his first half hat-trick against Derby, in a 3-3 draw where all 6 goals were scored in the first half. What a game!

Frank Worthington. What a star! Those were the days when being cocky was admired

Frank it is. A hero from when I started being aware of City.

Him or Joe Waters

Got to be Cottee for me, he was like a Pre-Dickov. He gave it everything and got those tap ins after some good work from Bruno! Those were the good old days.

Also Ian Marshall, excellnt player - and a super sub towards the end. I'll never forget that Fulham match where he saved us! Speaking of which what about Peggy Arfaxad, liked him too!

Orifice said:
Frank Worthington. What a star! Those were the days when being cocky was admired

Frank it is. A hero from when I started being aware of City.

Him or Joe Waters

We must be roughly the same age as it is Frank Worthington for me as well. :p :wink:

Yeah some great players there. Shame we can't have a team full of them now eh?

I never had the privalidge of watching Gibson but he sounds a true great. I know we don't get to see some of the things that players did like that in this day & age.

Steve Thompson loved watching his inch perfect long balls that would split a defence.

Tony Cottee defo should be in there. He come from Malaysia to become our top scorer & bang in the winner against Man Utd & won me a nice tidy bet at the time!

Steve Claridge wonderful, loved watching this guy. Him & Heskey were fantastic. He's putting his boots back on & apparently joining a conference side isn't he?

Worthington only seen him on tv clips, but looked excellent.

Another one for me though that hasn't been mentioned would be Steve Guppy. I now play on the wing sometimes wingback & this is the guy I try to base my game on. I cannot believe he didn't get more of a chance with England at the time we had no left sided players.

I start watching Leicester around 78/79 as a five / six year old but obviously you dont see players in the same way. But I think there have been some great players through the years.

Andy Peake
Alan Young
Gary Lineker
John O'Neill
Ian Wilson
Alan Smith

Gary McAllister
Tommy Wright
Gary Mills
Ali Mauchlen

Julian Joachim
Mark Draper
Iwan Roberts

Muzzy Izzet
Robbie Savage
Emile Heskey
Stan Collymore
Neil Lennon
Matt Elliott

But the one man who did it week in week out for god knows how many years and made it his club and if it hadnt been for PT would have stayed here forever would have to be Walshy !

Gary Lineker... just Leicetser thru' and thru'... rescued our club from administration when he didn't have to at all...
Other than him, it would probably be Tony Cottee.

Keith Weller - the most skilful player I ever saw.
Alan Young - a real favourite amongst the supporters
Larry May - the best centre half we have had in recent years. Strong and athletic
Steve Lynex - If only we had a winger with his trickery and pace.
Alan Smith - technically a better player than Lineker, and a bargain at £12k from Alvechurch
Kevin McDonald - Ice cool : noted for his cheeky back headers to the keeper.

PEN3 said:
Keith Weller - the most skilful player I ever saw.
Alan Young - a real favourite amongst the supporters
Larry May - the best centre half we have had in recent years. Strong and athletic
Steve Lynex - If only we had a winger with his trickery and pace.
Alan Smith - technically a better player than Lineker, and a bargain at £12k from Alvechurch
Kevin McDonald - Ice cool : noted for his cheeky back headers to the keeper.

I go down to watch Alvechurch sometimes, Belive me they haven't got any more Alan Smith's in the pipeline. They do have a signed photo of him in the club house though!

I saw Davie Gibson - fantastic in a fantastic team - and to think at one time we were blessed with having TWO of the worlds best ever goal-keepers on our books at the same time (Banksy and Shilts) - Over the years we have had some fantastic players but for me Steve Walsh just stands out from the rest - not for his skill but for the simple fact that he was a great leader - His never say die attitude rubbed off on other players - he never gave in and always fought to the last second - The best of many examples were the P/O final against the sheep and the 3-3 draw against Arsenal - How we miss you Steve :oops:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669