Why does everyone talk on speakerphone now?

Elon Bust

Sometimes I wonder if between around 2015 and 2021 I was transported to a parallel universe without knowing. I remember the early days of mass mobile phone ownership: people used to hold the phone up to their ear to speak to the person on the other end. Nobody else could hear the other end of that conversation. There was this function we called 'speaker phone', which seemed to be confined to niche situations such as consumer affairs programmes. Dominic Littlewood or Matt Allwright would sit at the table and phone a up a dodgy builder or plumber but, little would he know, his words were captured by a TV camera crew.

Then, somewhere along the second decade of the twenty-first century, something changed. I started seeing people standing around in public places, holding their phones horizontally, lengthways from their mouths. Did I miss the government announcement saying it was illegal to keep the speaker phone off when you receive a call? Now, the genie is so long out of the bottle, the bottle has been smashed the pieces at the bottom of the bottle bank. It's as if mobile phones have no function other than speaker phone.

Recently I was trying to enjoy a cappuccino in my local, independent coffee outlet. A man in his seventies took a call from a woman who sounded similar in age. He was holding the phone reasonably close to his face but kept it on speaker anyway. It was disgraceful. I had to sit through a ten-minute conversation about whether or not Morrisons was a good supermarket. I heard every word the woman said in response, each take more mind-numbingly asinine than the last.

I am thirty-three years old. I remember when nobody did this at all, and now everybody does it everywhere. Why aren't people self-conscious about broadcasting private conversations at such a loud volume? What the hell happened?

Last edited:
Sometimes I wonder if between around 2015 and 2021 I was transported to a parallel universe without knowing. I remember the early days of mass mobile phone ownership: people used to hold the phone up to their ear to speak to the person on the other end. Nobody else could hear the other end of that conversation. There was this function we called 'speaker phone', which seemed to be confined to niche situations such as consumer affairs programmes. Dominic Littlewood or Matt Allwright would sit at a table a phone a up a dodgy builder or plumber but little would he know, his words were captured by a TV camera crew.

Then, somewhere along the second decade of the twenty-first century, something changed. I started seeing people standing around in public places, holding their phones horizontally, lengthways from their mouths. Did I miss the government announcement saying it was illegal to keep the speaker phone off when you receive a call? Now, the genie is so long out of the bottle, the bottle has been smashed the pieces at the bottom of the bottle bank. It's as if mobile phones have no function other than speaker phone.

Recently I was trying to enjoy a cappuccino in my local, independent coffee outlet. A man in his seventies took a call from a woman who sounded similar in age. He was holding the phone reasonably close to his face but kept it on speaker anyway. It was disgraceful. I had to sit through a ten-minute conversation about whether or not Morrisons was a good supermarket. I heard every word the woman said in response, each take more mind-numbingly asinine than the last.

I am thirty-three years old. I remember when nobody did this at all, and now everybody does it everywhere. Why aren't people self-conscious about broadcasting private conversations at such a loud volume? What the hell happened?
I have wondered about this too. Also, facetiming when there's no need, a simple call would do.

I have wondered about this too. Also, facetiming when there's no need, a simple call would do.
FACETIMING ON TRAINS FOR ****'S SAKE

It's simply symptomatic of the next stage of not caring or respecting anyone else around you. After they started doing it on the apprentice it was inevitable everywhere else.

Recently I was trying to enjoy a cappuccino in my local, independent coffee outlet.
Alright Elton John, you millennials and your avocado lattes.

I think it’s as simple as a combination of monkey see, monkey do and most people being completely oblivious to the world around them.

Most times I’m out and about I’ll loudly say ‘you’re welcome’ to someone ignoring me while they scurry through a door I’m holding open or making an effort to be sure me and my son aren’t getting in their way in a shop or on a path. Same with driving. All types of people are guilty of it, being rude or selfish, I think you either notice it or you don’t.

I’ve been out and about with my Nana who is blind and has cancer so obviously struggles with her mobility. You still get people bobbing around behind her waiting for her to **** off out of their way so they can get to something they want off a shelf in a shop.

I imagine the phone thing is from The Apprentice or something and it’s just spread. It’s not a massive leap to go from everyone having one of these devices on them at all times to it becoming normalised to use it in an obnoxious way, like filming yourself at the football.

Sometimes I wonder if between around 2015 and 2021 I was transported to a parallel universe without knowing. I remember the early days of mass mobile phone ownership: people used to hold the phone up to their ear to speak to the person on the other end. Nobody else could hear the other end of that conversation. There was this function we called 'speaker phone', which seemed to be confined to niche situations such as consumer affairs programmes. Dominic Littlewood or Matt Allwright would sit at a table a phone a up a dodgy builder or plumber but little would he know, his words were captured by a TV camera crew.

I don't disagree but.. are you alright? 😮

The world is full of selfish, ignorant people who can’t comprehend what it is to be courteous.

It does annoy me but the behaviour is so prevalent that you could easily find yourself turning into Victor Meldrew.

I was at the front of a queue of traffic yesterday giving way to cars coming from the opposite direction as there was only room for one car. My exit was blocked (as everyone behind me was too), and if I had moved forward I would have blocked the road.

Next thing some twat overtook the line of traffic I was in, overtook me too and proceeded to block the road, why?

Ignorance is my only conclusion.

The world is full of selfish, ignorant people who can’t comprehend what it is to be courteous.

It does annoy me but the behaviour is so prevalent that you could easily find yourself turning into Victor Meldrew.

I was at the front of a queue of traffic yesterday giving way to cars coming from the opposite direction as there was only room for one car. My exit was blocked (as everyone behind me was too), and if I had moved forward I would have blocked the road.

Next thing some twat overtook the line of traffic I was in, overtook me too and proceeded to block the road, why?

Ignorance is my only conclusion.

Well, we've all been in a queue stuck behind some daft old **** who sits there waiting for the ****ing world to end before they pull out FFS

Fair play to him, I say

Well, we've all been in a queue stuck behind some daft old **** who sits there waiting for the ****ing world to end before they pull out FFS

Fair play to him, I say
Arsehole.

Thinking about it, is that way of holding a phone purely down to TV and films? Because you can have a person speaking on the phone without blocking any part of their face in a shot. It’s the only good reason to hold a phone like that, seeing as phones have never been designed to be used as such.

Same as ****s with speakers rather than headphones.

Insipid ****s

You lot really need to live and let live more.

I can't imagine getting annoyed at such things. Everyone I encounter is life gets a smile.

Sometimes I wonder if between around 2015 and 2021 I was transported to a parallel universe without knowing.
I’ve been saying this for a while. Leicester winning the Premier League, the UK (well, England) voting to leave the EU, Donald Trump in the White House. And that’s just 2016. None of this is real.

Alright Elton John, you millennials and your avocado lattes.

I think it’s as simple as a combination of monkey see, monkey do and most people being completely oblivious to the world around them.

Most times I’m out and about I’ll loudly say ‘you’re welcome’ to someone ignoring me while they scurry through a door I’m holding open or making an effort to be sure me and my son aren’t getting in their way in a shop or on a path. Same with driving. All types of people are guilty of it, being rude or selfish, I think you either notice it or you don’t.

I’ve been out and about with my Nana who is blind and has cancer so obviously struggles with her mobility. You still get people bobbing around behind her waiting for her to **** off out of their way so they can get to something they want off a shelf in a shop.

I imagine the phone thing is from The Apprentice or something and it’s just spread. It’s not a massive leap to go from everyone having one of these devices on them at all times to it becoming normalised to use it in an obnoxious way, like filming yourself at the football.

That's an incredible hot take, and you might be onto something there. I think you're right with the monkey see, monkey do idea but that, in itself, is terrifying. People are having public phone conversations on speaker basically for no reason, just because they've seen other people doing it?

I’ve been saying this for a while. Leicester winning the Premier League, the UK (well, England) voting to leave the EU, Donald Trump in the White House. And that’s just 2016. None of this is real.

I almost did a tangential paragraph all about that but thought that might take the punch out of my main point.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4494
2Leeds Utd4590
3Ipswich4490
4Southampton4584
5Norwich City4573
6West Brom4572
7Hull City4570
8Middlesbro4566
9Coventry City4464
10Preston 4463