Why?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Transfer coup of the summer.

Really? A 39-year-old goalkeeper who has just left last season's worst Premiership side? Who was part of the England team which performed worse than any other, ever, at the World Cup?

I must be the only one who doesn't see this as a coup. The reality of the situation is that Bristol City must have used up a considerable amount of their playing budget for the season to fill a position which, frankly, could have probably been filled with a cheaper/younger option, rather than a player who is well past his best and clearly not there for his love of the club or hunger to see them do well, just because it pays well and it's convenient for him.

I'm very surprised that Coppell has gone for this and I can see James getting punished this season in the Championship.

Sorry, I've just realised that I made a grave error in that last post...

He'll be 40 on Sunday.

David James is a most extraordinary goalkeeper. I think he has had more natural ability than any English goalkeeper since the Shilton-Clemence era including David Seaman. However, he has been let down repeatedly by poor judgement. No English goalkeeper IMO since Shilton has been better at making instinctive saves but he has always been vulnerable when he has had time to think about things.

I have admired James for many years. He has had a great deal of criticism. Much of it has been justified while some such as Sky's "Bring On The Clowns" has been moronic. When selected for the England squad soon after one error an offensive little reporter asked "Do you really believe you are good enough for the England team". His reply "I believe many strange things" was polite and dignified and better than the questioner deserved.
However, difficult the situation David James never ducked a nasty question and always showed great dignity.

David James is a most extraordinary goalkeeper. I think he has had more natural ability than any English goalkeeper since the Shilton-Clemence era including David Seaman. However, he has been let down repeatedly by poor judgement. No English goalkeeper IMO since Shilton has been better at making instinctive saves but he has always been vulnerable when he has had time to think about things.

I have admired James for many years. He has had a great deal of criticism. Much of it has been justified while some such as Sky's "Bring On The Clowns" has been moronic. When selected for the England squad soon after one error an offensive little reporter asked "Do you really believe you are good enough for the England team". His reply "I believe many strange things" was polite and dignified and better than the questioner deserved.
However, difficult the situation David James never ducked a nasty question and always showed great dignity.

I agree. I think David James comes across as one of the most professional, sensible players I've ever seen.

As you say, always take everything with great dignity and I think gives a very good account of himself.

I think he's a good role model to younger players, and a major coup for Bristol.
When he does stop playing, I think he's got the right personality to make a good manager.

I must be the only one who doesn't see this as a coup. The reality of the situation is that Bristol City must have used up a considerable amount of their playing budget for the season to fill a position which, frankly, could have probably been filled with a cheaper/younger option, rather than a player who is well past his best and clearly not there for his love of the club or hunger to see them do well, just because it pays well and it's convenient for him.

I'm very surprised that Coppell has gone for this and I can see James getting punished this season in the Championship.

Their owner is well within the Sunday Times Richlist. Apparently he's paying his wages outside of the allocated wage budget. 8k a week.

He's newly-married and living Exeter because of this. He's said previously he wouldn't mind being in the CCC cos it's a more enjoyable atmosphere day to day than the bling, bling of the Premiership.

Finally, he has the opportunity to develop as a coach under one of the most wisest and professional managers in the country.

I agree that James is one of the most likeable people in football. Always comes across as a genuinely top bloke. I'd say the same about Steve Coppell too.

Last edited:
Really? A 39-year-old goalkeeper who has just left last season's worst Premiership side? Who was part of the England team which performed worse than any other, ever, at the World Cup?

I totally disagree, yes he is past his best but being old does not make you a bad player. He is intelligent, wise and reliable, I think he will be one of the best goalkeepers in the division. And in the world cup did Rooney do well? No, he didn't score one goal, you cannot blame the subject of a world cup on one team player.

Tbf, I thought that James was one of the few players in the England team who wasn't bad at the WC.

James is a top keeper. A real coup for Bristol City.

After David James surprisingly going to Bristol City, here's one that will never happen!

Daily Mail said:
The city of Bristol is gripped by hope after it was suggested Michael Owen could become the second England international to join the the Robins this week.

Npower Championship side Bristol City are keen to strengthen their forward line having dealt with their defensive issues with the capture of David James from Portsmouth.

article-1300338-06FC3BF6000005DC-382_468x286.jpg
Rockin Robin: Michael Owen could follow David James to Bristol City

They originally had an approach for the loan of Danny Welbeck rebuffed by Manchester United but were shocked when they were told they could take Owen instead.

Owen hasn't featured for United since injuring his hamstring in the Carling Cup final against Aston Villa in February. However he is expected to feature on Wednesday night against an Irish League XI at the new Aviva Stadium in Dublin.

The move would be one of the most surprising in Premier League history, especially with Owen still keen on resurrecting his international career.

One post on a Bristol City fans forum said: 'Blimey I dont think Im [sic] going to make it to next Saturday my heart cant stand all of this'

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/fo...n-linked-loan-Bristol-City.html#ixzz0vgH9DkTs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4494
2Ipswich4492
3Leeds Utd4590
4Southampton4584
5Norwich City4573
6West Brom4572
7Hull City4569
8Middlesbro4566