Wigan Ratings

Status
Not open for further replies.

basfordfox

I was travelling back to university so I didn't catch the game, just saw the result. I will admit I get to see very few games but I try to keep as up to date as possible. So, who played well, who had a nightmare? MDV I'm guessing had another belter.

Cheers

Welcome. :D :p :wink: ;-) :mrgreen: I wish we could all be a bit more positive about City at the moment. :? :? :? :-( :-(

Walker - 6 - some brave moments and quick action from back-passes etc, I'm surprised his nerves aren't shot with the amount of times our defence likes to put him in difficult positions.

McCarthy - 5 - fouled players too many times and was lucky not to be sent off really. Needs to move back to centre-back (as Gary Mills said on the radio on the way back!) as he's wasted at right-back.

Dabizas - 6 - actually thought Dabizas played quite well today, commitment seemed to be there moreso than before (maybe someone told him his contract is up at the end of the season) and he was running all over the place.

Dublin - 6 - most dangerous player up front when he was moved there, solid at the back as he has been for a while. I'd take the gamble and play him up front next game though, we need goals.

Maybury - 4 - was beaten far too many times, ok they've got good players but I can't remember once when he stopped the player getting 'round him.

Gillespie - 6 - about the only player on the pitch that created things and looked dangerous on the ball. Not quite at his best but the turnaround with him is still amazing.

Williams - 5 - same old Gareth, won lots of headers and ran about a lot but generally ghosted through the game and I'm not sure why he was sold to us as an attacking midfielder.

Gudjonsson - 4 - chased after their players and looked eager (epitomised by him scrambling past players at one point to pick up a loose ball, actually scrambling over them!) but he doesn't really retain possession and takes too long to think about where he's going to pass to.

Tiatto - 3 - very poor Danny, your commitment can't be questioned but.. you're a left winger that puts in no crosses and spends all of your time in the centre of the pitch fouling needlessly. Lucky not to get sent off.

Connolly - 5 - worked hard as always and put in some good passes (especially when he quickly got the ball and turned in the same movement to put a cross in, that was headed away from de Vries of course) but didn't have a shot at goal in the whole game that I can remember.

De Vries - 2 - Oh Mark De Vries, please don't start on Tuesday or you will get booed onto the pitch. He won 2% of headers that came his way, of those most went out or to a Wigan player, he was offside numerous times and the one time he wasn't offside and in a good position he did nothing with the ball, he fell over a lot and whinged to the ref and other players no end of the time. It's not a 0 because he did occasionally manage to make the ball stick to his feet for a few vital seconds.

Subs:

Kenton - 6 - had our most dangerous chance of the game when he snuck in unmarked for a header from a free-kick, also looked pacy and eager to impress. I wasn't really sold on him by his other appearances for us but this cameo was encouraging.

Moore - 4 - wasn't on for long enough really, did show determination when he somehow took the ball past a few players but I think that was more luck than anything else, need to see more of him still.

Oh dear. well I hope the impressive start McCarthy made here doesn't fizzle out, likewise Maybury. I'm going to the Derby game, just preying we put up a better performance.

Leigh said:
Walker - 6 - some brave moments and quick action from back-passes etc, I'm surprised his nerves aren't shot with the amount of times our defence likes to put him in difficult positions.

McCarthy - 5 - fouled players too many times and was lucky not to be sent off really. Needs to move back to centre-back (as Gary Mills said on the radio on the way back!) as he's wasted at right-back.

Dabizas - 6 - actually thought Dabizas played quite well today, commitment seemed to be there moreso than before (maybe someone told him his contract is up at the end of the season) and he was running all over the place.

Dublin - 6 - most dangerous player up front when he was moved there, solid at the back as he has been for a while. I'd take the gamble and play him up front next game though, we need goals.

Maybury - 4 - was beaten far too many times, ok they've got good players but I can't remember once when he stopped the player getting 'round him.

Gillespie - 6 - about the only player on the pitch that created things and looked dangerous on the ball. Not quite at his best but the turnaround with him is still amazing.

Williams - 5 - same old Gareth, won lots of headers and ran about a lot but generally ghosted through the game and I'm not sure why he was sold to us as an attacking midfielder.

Gudjonsson - 4 - chased after their players and looked eager (epitomised by him scrambling past players at one point to pick up a loose ball, actually scrambling over them!) but he doesn't really retain possession and takes too long to think about where he's going to pass to.

Tiatto - 3 - very poor Danny, your commitment can't be questioned but.. you're a left winger that puts in no crosses and spends all of your time in the centre of the pitch fouling needlessly. Lucky not to get sent off.

Connolly - 5 - worked hard as always and put in some good passes (especially when he quickly got the ball and turned in the same movement to put a cross in, that was headed away from de Vries of course) but didn't have a shot at goal in the whole game that I can remember.

De Vries - 2 - Oh Mark De Vries, please don't start on Tuesday or you will get booed onto the pitch. He won 2% of headers that came his way, of those most went out or to a Wigan player, he was offside numerous times and the one time he wasn't offside and in a good position he did nothing with the ball, he fell over a lot and whinged to the ref and other players no end of the time. It's not a 0 because he did occasionally manage to make the ball stick to his feet for a few vital seconds.

Subs:

Kenton - 6 - had our most dangerous chance of the game when he snuck in unmarked for a header from a free-kick, also looked pacy and eager to impress. I wasn't really sold on him by his other appearances for us but this cameo was encouraging.

Moore - 4 - wasn't on for long enough really, did show determination when he somehow took the ball past a few players but I think that was more luck than anything else, need to see more of him still.

Bit harsh on Tiatto i think. Didnt play brilliantly but wasnt really bad. Only reason he wasnt out on the left most of the second half was because he was trying to cover the endless mistakes that Joey was making in the centre.

McCarthy, i thought, was our best player (until Dublin went up front). Was thoroughly committed and only player who seemed to give a damn. Would probably be better off playing at centre back though.

basfordfox said:
Oh dear. well I hope the impressive start McCarthy made here doesn't fizzle out, likewise Maybury. I'm going to the Derby game, just preying we put up a better performance.

Their problem is being played out of position rather than their good starts fizzling out I think.

The only player's who came out of that game with any credit are Dublin and Walker. Not sure if tat,s was fit. But as for the rest they are just a bunch of nobody,s who are just there to pick up a wage. If i did my job like that i would be sacked.

chappyblue said:
The only player's who came out of that game with any credit are Dublin and Walker. Not sure if tat,s was fit. But as for the rest they are just a bunch of nobody,s who are just there to pick up a wage. If i did my job like that i would be sacked.

Walker doesnt come out of that game with any credit - he had no command of his area - particularly on corners hence the concession of two goals!

Dublin had a solid game though and looked far more dangerous than MDV up front...

Leigh said:
basfordfox said:

Their problem is being played out of position rather than their good starts fizzling out I think.

As i pointed out to you before (and got slated for it!) this out of position stuff is typical of Levein.
When he left Hearts he had -

A RB playing LB
A LB playing right midfield
A centre half playing left midfield
A left footed player playing wide right
A centre half playing centre forward

Confused? We certainly were! :eek:

Our entire team were out-classed by Wigan Athletic. Who needs ratings? In the real world people, we are an average Championship side currently I'm afraid. :-?

:roll: :roll: :roll:
Average? You must be joking we are a poor side in a crap division.
Im also getting worried about some of Craigs decisions and selections.
Hurrah for the comment that Walker is very overrated. At least you cant say that about MDV.
We are staggering to the end of an awful season and assuming we survive we need one hell of a pre season

i am not sure about walker's input to the team, as him being there gives us the brilliant tactic of letting him hoof the ball straight up the middle to their goal keeper every time we win the ball back.

walker - 5 didnt have much to do, was beaten when did and his kicking out made for an entirely dull day

mccarthy - 4 cant play right back, full stop

dabizas - 5 likes using his hands to challenge people and slides in but did ok

dublin - 7 led the team well by example, none took it however. got a great round of applause for picking the ball up when the keeper was time wasting (one of many occasions as it started at kick off)

maybury - 5 fouling people, pissing about in his own half, not a good day

gillespie - 6 tried his best and was effective other than where it counted

williams - 6 should take our set pieces ahead of gillespie as his looked dangerous, worked hard but drifts in and out. ok performance though.

gudjonsson - 4 thinks he should take people on on the edge of our box, hid behind players when going forward

tiatto - 4 kept running inside and leaving loads of space for wigan to attack maybury, just wasnt at the races and effort wasnt to usual 'above the rest' standard

de vries - 4 hmmm

connolly - 6 worked hard, again didnt look like he was going to score, probably an attacking midfielder more than out and out forward

Gilbert the Filbert said:
The Players.

Walker : Flapped about in a most unconvincing manner.

McCarthy: A bit of a wild man, looked much better as a centre back.

Dabizas: Variable.

Dublin: Without him we’d be nothing, with him we’re something, trouble is I’m not sure what it is

Maybury: A very good resolute player.

Gillespie: When the going gets tough, he comes off with a ‘poorly arm’ or something.

Williams: Was he playing?

Gudjonsson: No he wasn’t

Tiatto: I can’t see why people go into raptures over him, he’s very one footed, wild and erratic. Club Captain????

Connolly: As per usual; hopeless.

De Vries: Comparisons are being made with Akinbiyi, sadly though, he’s not that good.

Craig: Have you bought a house down here yet? I’d rent one if I were you !!!!!!

Here is hopeful. :D :p :roll: :wink: ;-) :mrgreen:

Gilbert the Filbert said:
De Vries: Comparisons are being made with Akinbiyi, sadly though, he’s not that good.
:D

fitz said:
mccarthy - 4 cant play right back, full stop

/quote]

McCarthy has played at RB three times now and has been booked each time. He can't tackle, and was very lucky to not to be sent off on Saturday

Walker 7 He's always good really

McCarthy 6 Pretty good, a bit like a faster younger Dabizas.
Maybury 4 Right back or nothing I think
Dabizas 6 Not bad at all
Dublin 6 When he went forward he was better than the other two and was also fine in defence. He probably should be captain.

Gillespie 6 When it was possible or him to run forward and put in crosses he did. Generally played well and did what he was supposed to.
Tiatto 5 He knows he can do better, nearly got sent off, probably did more bad than good, but he did sometimes play well.
Gudjohnssen 4 Just invisible.
Williams 7 Brilliant great passing and ball winning and ability, if we'd got Nalis 10 years ago he'd probably be like this.

Connolly 4 Can't head the ball or convert an assist into anything, but there's probably no one better.
De vries 4 I know he was bad and when he jumped up he just knocked into people instead of heading the ball, but the fact of the matter is I feel sorry for the guy and I would keep on playing him because it will do him good and anyway, we gave Connolly ages so he deserves that aswell.

Subs:

Kenton 5 not very good
Moore 5 not really much time.

Have we really improved from the start of the season?

Walker 5- Not interested

McCarthy 5- Lucky not to be sent off
Maybury 6- Good strong game
Dublin 7- Classy
Dabizas 4- He can **** off

Gillespie 5- See Walker
Tiatto 5-Poor
Williams 6- Looked hungry
Gudjonsson 5- Couldnt see him

Connolly 6- Worked a bit
De Vries 3- Benjamin is better

Subs
Kenton 6- Looked like he wanna to be involved
Moore 6- Looked not bad, Should be played instead of De Vries.

Walker 7 - must be tearing his hair out playing for us

McCarthy 6 put him in the middle! good prospect
Maybury 7 Looked good, had to cover two men when tiatto went awol
Dublin 7- Play him up front and make him captain
Dabizas 6- If he wasnt so slow he would be invaluable

Gillespie 5- bit anonymous
Tiatto 5- shoulld have been sent off. ran around like a headless chicken
Williams 6 - looked ok
Gudjonsson 4 - would have given my right arm to see wigan's kavanagh playin for us

Connolly 6- ran around lots
De Vries 2 - awful. should give him a chance tho before writing him off

Muttley said:
Walker 7 - must be tearing his hair out playing for us

McCarthy 6 put him in the middle! good prospect
Maybury 7 Looked good, had to cover two men when tiatto went awol
Dublin 7- Play him up front and make him captain
Dabizas 6- If he wasnt so slow he would be invaluable

Gillespie 5- bit anonymous
Tiatto 5- shoulld have been sent off. ran around like a headless chicken
Williams 6 - looked ok
Gudjonsson 4 - would have given my right arm to see wigan's kavanagh playin for us

Connolly 6- ran around lots
De Vries 2 - awful. should give him a chance tho before writing him off

Yeah, that's what I put aswell, I feel sorry for him and he deserves more time and he might still be not at 100% fitness. Connolly has turned out to be not that bad, so perhaps MDV will be good eventually too, I mean look at his previous reacord.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669