Wireless Router.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not really no. Obviously an inbuilt wifi card is the ideal.

Not on a 7 year old laptop from toys r us!!:icon_lol:

Anyways thanks for the help guys but the father-in-law turned up a router in box never been used which is a good spec. ADSL2+ and 125Mbps.

EDIT: it seems to have solved the problem with the dropping of the connection that the old 3Com one had.

Last edited:
New problem with the router!!

I have set it all up and works fine on the wired connection. But when I go into the wireless settings and try to encrypt the wireless with WPA-PSK and then save and reboot the router it does not re-connect to the PC (the wired connection) and I can’t access the internet or even the router from the PC. I have to re-set the factory settings and start from scratch. I have tried a different setting at the moment and it seems to have turned the wireless off completely!

Any ideas or tips for encrypting the wireless.

New problem with the router!!

I have set it all up and works fine on the wired connection. But when I go into the wireless settings and try to encrypt the wireless with WPA-PSK and then save and reboot the router it does not re-connect to the PC (the wired connection) and I can’t access the internet or even the router from the PC. I have to re-set the factory settings and start from scratch. I have tried a different setting at the moment and it seems to have turned the wireless off completely!

Any ideas or tips for encrypting the wireless.

Set up the wireless settings in the router, disconnect the Ethernet cable, then connect wirelessly to the router.
Or have I misunderstood the problem?

Set up the wireless settings in the router, disconnect the Ethernet cable, then connect wirelessly to the router.
Or have I misunderstood the problem?

Possibly. I want to keep the PC connected through the ethernet cable and then connect the laptop wirelessly. The PC works fine through the ethernet cable until I try to encrypt the wireless, it then cuts off all connections and I have to re-set the factory settings using the button on the rear of the router.

Possibly. I want to keep the PC connected through the ethernet cable and then connect the laptop wirelessly. The PC works fine through the ethernet cable until I try to encrypt the wireless, it then cuts off all connections and I have to re-set the factory settings using the button on the rear of the router.

Oh. That's messed up.
Does it only happen when you use WPA-PSK?

Oh. That's messed up.
Does it only happen when you use WPA-PSK?

I tried one of the other option. Think it may have been WEP and that seems to have just cut off the wireless all together! The light has even gone off on the router! Might have to just keep trying settings.

I tried one of the other option. Think it may have been WEP and that seems to have just cut off the wireless all together! The light has even gone off on the router! Might have to just keep trying settings.

It actually cuts it off when i use the 802.11x I am now trying the WEP option....fingers crossed!

Try switching the channel you are broadcasting the networking on. Usually defaulted to 1 but you normally have a choice up to 11

Try switching the channel you are broadcasting the networking on. Usually defaulted to 1 but you normally have a choice up to 11

Ok ill give it a go. It seems to be running ok with the WEP encryption. Not tried connecting the laptop wirelessly though yet but it isn't affecting the ethernet connection so far.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669