Work related folley

Status
Not open for further replies.
SilverFox said:
Right, I need more help:

If Sunderland did it in 1978 and Villa did it in 1981 who did it in 1980?

trevor brooking scored the goal to win FA Cup for west ham as did alan sunderland for arsenal and ricky villa for spurs :wink:

lazzer said:
SilverFox said:
Right, I need more help:

trevor brooking scored the goal to win FA Cup for west ham as did alan sunderland for arsenal and ricky villa for spurs :wink:

You truely are a legend at this!

what are the only 2 clubs in the football league that can refuse to change into the away colours for an away match?

you may be thinking of preston and reading but this is an urban myth and not actually true im afraid :roll:

i had that fact in a cracker last xmas, what's the world coming to, eh? even the cracker makers are telling untruths. :roll:

Preston North End (because they were the first Football League champions) and Reading (because they play in the Royal County of Berkshire

lazzer said:
Preston North End (because they were the first Football League champions) and Reading (because they play in the Royal County of Berkshire

I thought it was because Preston were the first to the do the FA cup and league double?

I heard once that it was Notts County who has that useless power as they are the oldest football team

The only problem with this question is that it is UTTER RUBBISH! Is there anyone out there who is really so stupid as to think that there would be FA rules relating to the above. And why Preston North End anyway? Why not The Wanderers, who were the first winners of the FA Cup? Surely that would be a more likely rule? And what exactly does "playing in the Royal County" have to do with anything? Name one reason why occupying the same county as a group of German parasites should have anything to do with the colour shirts that a football side might wear.

There is a theory that this particularly stupid question goes back to Reading's away trip to Brighton & Hove Albion in the 1992/93 season. That year, the Reading marketing people introduced the new first team kit of blue and white hoops, to general acclaim. However, they were also exceptionally stupid and created a reserve strip of yellow and blue hoops. When they played away to a side with blue in their shirts, and so had to wear their change strip, quite a few referees took one look at the Reading away shirts and said that the game couldn't possibly take place like that.

Normally, this meant that Reading had to wear the home side's away shirt - this happened at Wigan Athletic and Huddersfield Town, for example. At Brighton, for whatever reason, it was the home side who changed into their away shirt. Reading played in the blue and white hoops, and it appears that the legend of the question was born.

Quite where Preston North End came into it, I have no idea.

someone told me he had heard a version of the answer which included Notts County on the basis that they were the oldest League club and founder members. Clearly, though, this is still rubbish.

somebody else told me that until the early 1970s Arsenal always wore their change strip in games against Nottingham Forest, whether playing at home or away. This was as a mark of respect for the fact that it was Forest who donated Royal Arsenal a set of red shirts in 1887 when the London club was formed. Should this question ever appear but replacing either Preston or Reading with Nottingham Forest, then this tale is likely to be the reason why.

lazzer said:
SilverFox said:
Right, I need more help:

I'm sure Roger Osbourne won't be happy with this question :wink:

lazzer said:
The only problem with this question is that it is UTTER RUBBISH! Is there anyone out there who is really so stupid as to think that there would be FA rules relating to the above. And why Preston North End anyway? Why not The Wanderers, who were the first winners of the FA Cup? Surely that would be a more likely rule? And what exactly does "playing in the Royal County" have to do with anything? Name one reason why occupying the same county as a group of German parasites should have anything to do with the colour shirts that a football side might wear.

There is a theory that this particularly stupid question goes back to Reading's away trip to Brighton & Hove Albion in the 1992/93 season. That year, the Reading marketing people introduced the new first team kit of blue and white hoops, to general acclaim. However, they were also exceptionally stupid and created a reserve strip of yellow and blue hoops. When they played away to a side with blue in their shirts, and so had to wear their change strip, quite a few referees took one look at the Reading away shirts and said that the game couldn't possibly take place like that.

Normally, this meant that Reading had to wear the home side's away shirt - this happened at Wigan Athletic and Huddersfield Town, for example. At Brighton, for whatever reason, it was the home side who changed into their away shirt. Reading played in the blue and white hoops, and it appears that the legend of the question was born.

someone told me he had heard a version of the answer which included Notts County on the basis that they were the oldest League club and founder members. Clearly, though, this is still rubbish.

somebody else told me that until the early 1970s Arsenal always wore their change strip in games against Nottingham Forest, whether playing at home or away. This was as a mark of respect for the fact that it was Forest who donated Royal Arsenal a set of red shirts in 1887 when the London club was formed. Should this question ever appear but replacing either Preston or Reading with Nottingham Forest, then this tale is likely to
be the reason why.

Bloody hell Lazzer, calm down. :lol:

Joe_Fox said:
lazzer said:

somebody else told me that until the early 1970s Arsenal always wore their change strip in games against Nottingham Forest, whether playing at home or away. This was as a mark of respect for the fact that it was Forest who donated Royal Arsenal a set of red shirts in 1887 when the London club was formed. Should this question ever appear but replacing either Preston or Reading with Nottingham Forest, then this tale is likely to
be the reason why.

Bloody hell Lazzer, calm down. :lol:

Theres about 300 posts worth of content in there Lazzer!!!

durham, welcome back - i thought you were banned?

Joe_Fox said:

Yes, an unsavoury incident did occur! I have put it behind me and am fully comitted to acheiving my 1000 post landamrk this month :) :roll:

DurhamFox said:
Joe_Fox said:

Yes, an unsavoury incident did occur! I have put it behind me and am fully comitted to acheiving my 1000 post landamrk this month :) :roll:

Good lad, you have joined an elite club of posters.

I am very much looking forward to my historic day! :roll:

Please no parties/speeches or anything :roll:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673