World Cup 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.
At what age did most of the Ghanaian squad move to another country? Is their youth development better than ours, or did most of their key players train in Spain etc from an early age?

Algeria put four past the South Koreans last night and look on course for the next round.
Mahrez stayed on the bench though.

Algeria put four past the South Koreans last night and look on course for the next round.
Mahrez stayed on the bench though.

Good. He can't get injured or show his worth to others whilst sitting there :icon_bigg

Algeria for the cup

Amazing how people can disagree. I found it to be complete bollocks of the highest order. Absolute drivel.

The reason we failed is nothing to do with playing fields, the premier league or over-exerting young players. There are teams/players doing much, much better than us that can be used to prove the idiocy of this argument. Players from countries with far fewer places to play. Players that play in our country and have done for years that are doing superbly. And so on.

We failed because we got a horrible draw with two sides ranked above us. We failed because when we played these teams, we were a bit naive against one and crap against the other. We failed because we've got a second rate manager who is doing a part time job whilst virtually retired.

Of our last eight world cup campaigns, we've done well enough in four of them (quarter finals or better) and shite in the other four. Isn't that about what we'd expect?

Amazing how people can disagree. I found it to be complete bollocks of the highest order. Absolute drivel.

The reason we failed is nothing to do with playing fields, the premier league or over-exerting young players. There are teams/players doing much, much better than us that can be used to prove the idiocy of this argument. Players from countries with far fewer places to play. Players that play in our country and have done for years that are doing superbly. And so on.

We failed because we got a horrible draw with two sides ranked above us. We failed because when we played these teams, we were a bit naive against one and crap against the other. We failed because we've got a second rate manager who is doing a part time job whilst virtually retired.

Of our last eight world cup campaigns, we've done well enough in four of them (quarter finals or better) and shite in the other four. Isn't that about what we'd expect?

I actually thought the school fields was the strongest point. Other countries have differing cultures and differing education systems. Pretty much all of Europe insists on more than 1 hour a week of physical activity at school. In a lot of South America, being good at football is an escape route. You can't compare an apple to a pear.

The generation which achieved 4 quarter finals were all brought up in the last youth sides before the Premier League. So there's something in that the Premier League has directly affected the youth of this country's football teams. The over exerting is also true; I believe the current German players under 25 in their squad have an average of around 150 Bundesliga games behind them. Ross Barkley has 30 PL games and he's on his way to Brazil.

I am not doubting the strength of the group (the article admits but says we would have gone out a stage further) Italy won due to better finishing and more game experience in how to control a game. Uruguay won due to better finishing, a lack of an English collective and the fact they tactically took advantage that our defenders can't pass water. They pressed high at the defence meaning we gave the ball way far too easy. No one in midfield felt like helping. The full backs were left largely exposed with the expectation to run 30 yards every time they got the ball. That wasn't a tactical issue, that was team-mates failing to work together.

Hodgson is England manager because there was simply no else other than Loudmouth 'Arry. There still isn't anyone. That's down to the FA completely failing to do anything to promote coaching as a career and having the highest tuition fees in Europe.

I actually thought the school fields was the strongest point. Other countries have differing cultures and differing education systems. Pretty much all of Europe insists on more than 1 hour a week of physical activity at school. In a lot of South America, being good at football is an escape route. You can't compare an apple to a pear.

The generation which achieved 4 quarter finals were all brought up in the last youth sides before the Premier League. So there's something in that the Premier League has directly affected the youth of this country's football teams. The over exerting is also true; I believe the current German players under 25 in their squad have an average of around 150 Bundesliga games behind them. Ross Barkley has 30 PL games and he's on his way to Brazil.

I am not doubting the strength of the group (the article admits but says we would have gone out a stage further) Italy won due to better finishing and more game experience in how to control a game. Uruguay won due to better finishing, a lack of an English collective and the fact they tactically took advantage that our defenders can't pass water. They pressed high at the defence meaning we gave the ball way far too easy. No one in midfield felt like helping. The full backs were left largely exposed with the expectation to run 30 yards every time they got the ball. That wasn't a tactical issue, that was team-mates failing to work together.

Hodgson is England manager because there was simply no else other than Loudmouth 'Arry. There still isn't anyone. That's down to the FA completely failing to do anything to promote coaching as a career and having the highest tuition fees in Europe.

Most sensible comment so far

Trevor Brooking identified the chronic shortage of coaches years ago, and the FA still hasn't done enough about it.

There are plenty of places to play, but where kids do get coaching it's usually with far too little ball time.

Interesting point about coaching tuition fees - with the money in the game it would be possible to provide far more places for people who aren't loaded ex-pros, if doing so were any kind of priority.

I strongly believe the FA should be targeting university graduates with sports related degrees. Try to integrate the coaching badges with certain modules, therefore they get a degree and a coaching qualification.

Coaching as a profession is inverted. The most developed players are coaches by the highest paid. The lowest paid coaches teach the least developed players.

You make some decent points here but I'm just someone that thinks the arguments are too easy and convenient. Just like the ones they trotted out as to why we'd not had a Wimbledon Champion for 70 years.

The truth is that the Premier League has meant that our young English players are training, playing/competing with/against many of the best players in the world. This is a terrific opportunity for them. A wonderful education.

The facilities our clubs have are the best in the world. We have a stronger grass roots structure than anywhere else.

I agree that we've lost the plot in terms of the quality of young coaches. Too many clubs are lazy about this but I think it will improve with time. It's in everyone's interest for it to do so. It also isn't anything to do with why we're failing now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669