World Cup Squad

Status
Not open for further replies.

enderby fox

Right qualification for all teams has nearly finished with just the play offs for most teams left to battle it out.

So with that in mind lets pick who your 23 man squad would be assuming everyone is fit. I'll go first

James Green Hart
Terry A.Cole Ferdinand Upson Johnson Bridge Lescott
Lampard Gerrard Barry Lennon Beckham Hargreaves J.Cole Milner
Rooney Heskey Defoe Crouch Owen

I know it seems short on right back cover but hargreaves has played there before as has Milner.
I'd pick Hargreaves over Barry in the centre for the holding role if he plays regularly on his return. If not then Barry to play with Hargreaves as back up.
I could of gone for Wes Brown over Lescott which would have covered the right back spot but i just don't think he's a good player hence the reason why Lescott is in.
Owen is in for obvious reasons. On his day he's still a cracking goalscorer.

What does everyone else think??

James, Green, Robinson

Cole, Bridge, Terry, Ferdinand, Upson, Lescott, Johnson, Brown

Lampard, Gerrard, Barry, Hargreaves, Walcott, Lennon, Carrick, Beckham

Rooney, Heskey, Defoe, Crouch

Don't really rate Brown but i feel he provides decent enough cover at RB. However i dunno if he will be fit.

Problem is we have too many right sided players-Lennon, Wright-Phillips, Beckham, Walcott Milner. Can only really take 2-3 of them so i would go with Walcott, Beckham and Lennon. Beckham and Walcott have to go for me, Beckham because he could be vital coming off the bench and Walcott because he proved his class against Croatia-but will he stay fit? But then there is a serious lack of options and cover for left midfield

Glad its picking and not me!

Personally I'd take Milner as he's a bit more versatile than SWP and Lennon.

Joe cole should go too if fit.

James Green Hart
Terry A.Cole Ferdinand Upson Johnson Bridge Lescott
Lampard Gerrard Barry Lennon Beckham Hargreaves J.Cole Walcott Milner
Rooney Heskey Defoe Crouch

I know 4 strikers up front seems a little short but I Gerrard can always play just off a target man if one or 2 get injured.

Alos think Walcott has to be in for the moments when he is fit and firing and without a doubt Beckham has to go, as much for his impact off the bench as his attitude around the team and the youngsters.

Hargreaves hasn't played for yonks, so can't really see why he would get into any squad right now - he's a long way from getting back up to Premier League level again, let alone international level. No way he'll be ready to go by June

Owen is a clapped out old twat who shouldn't be anywhere near the feckin' squad, and neither should Lescott

Anyone even thinking about leaving Lennon out is mad in my eyes, he's been a massive influence on our good results in the group stage.

That goal against Sweden was a ****in' quality effort.
I was in Dortmund watching that - the German's weren't impressed with my celebration. haa

1. James
2. Foster
3. Green
4. Terry
5. Ferdinand
6. Upson
7. Brown
8. Cole
9. Johnson
10. Bridge
11. Gerrard
12. Lampard
13. Walcott
14. Beckham
15. Barry
16. Lennon
17. Rooney
18. Heskey
19. Crouch
20. Defoe
21. J.Cole
22. Wright Phillips
23. Wilshire/Hargreaves/Cahill/Bent

The 23 spot is a bit of a wildcard, I'd probably take Cahill. I agree Lescott is not up to it, nor Owen, nor Carrick.

Wayne Bridge - there's another useless fecker I wouldn't take

Always gonna be Cole as first choice, and Barry can cover for him - also Milner looked competent there the other night in an emergency

Leaves a spare place available for Elvis Hammond

I like the idea that everyone on here thinks Beckham is a must. I have hated the fact that a lot of pundits/match commentators have said he should never have come into Capello's squad, too old etc etc.

Even if he only comes on for the second half or the last 30mins, he still is the best player we have to deliver a 50 yard cross field pass straight on to the toe of Rooney's boot or place an amazing free kick or corner onto somebody's head or straight into the goal.

He also genuinely gives the entire team (and fans) a huge lift whenever he comes on, improving everyone's performance.

I would not have a clue about the rest of the bench or the team. Do we start Rooney/Heskey, Rooney/Defoe, Rooney/Crouch or Rooney/Owen? And what if Rooney gets crocked and misses it altogether?

Capello is going to have some sleepless nights next summer.

James, Robinson, Green

Johnson, Cahill, Terry, Ferdinand, A. Cole, Jagielka, Bridge

Lampard, Gerrard, Barry, J. Cole, Lennon, Hargreaves, Walcott, Milner, Rodwell

Bent, Crouch, Defoe, Rooney,

I like the idea that everyone on here thinks Beckham is a must. I have hated the fact that a lot of pundits/match commentators have said he should never have come into Capello's squad, too old etc etc.

Even if he only comes on for the second half or the last 30mins, he still is the best player we have to deliver a 50 yard cross field pass straight on to the toe of Rooney's boot or place an amazing free kick or corner onto somebody's head or straight into the goal.

He also genuinely gives the entire team (and fans) a huge lift whenever he comes on, improving everyone's performance.

I would not have a clue about the rest of the bench or the team. Do we start Rooney/Heskey, Rooney/Defoe, Rooney/Crouch or Rooney/Owen? And what if Rooney gets crocked and misses it altogether?

Capello is going to have some sleepless nights next summer.

Totally agree. Can't understand people not wanting Beckham in the squad, he my be slow and not quite the player he used to be now, but he's our greatest match-winner by far.

2-1 down in the World Cup semi-final with 5 minutes to go, if there's one England player I would want on the pitch in that situation, it would be Beckham. Even only as a substitute he has to be in the squad imo.

James, Robinson, Green

Johnson, Cahill, Terry, Ferdinand, A. Cole, Jagielka, Bridge

Lampard, Gerrard, Barry, J. Cole, Lennon, Hargreaves, Walcott, Milner, Rodwell

Bent, Crouch, Defoe, Rooney,
You're joking surely? Someone who is hardly a key part of the Everton team at the moment and has never been included in the England squad to date? No chance.

Not Rooney??? Not Gerrard???

Rooney, possibly, Gerrard isn't half the match-winner Beckham is, or for England at least, he's done it for Liverpool but never for England.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669