Worthington for NI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Steven

From the BBC. ;)

Rival candidates were thin on the ground when Lawrie Sanchez landed the Northern Ireland job in January 2004. Back then Northern Ireland's fortunes were at an all-time low and the Irish FA had a straight choice between Sanchez and Jimmy Nicholl.

This time round, with the team riding high, there is a lengthy list of those who would be interested in taking over.

People like Nicholl, Martin O'Neill, Jim Magilton and Iain Dowie would be popular with the Windsor Park fans but they would be unlikely to give up their club jobs.

Former Norwich boss Nigel Worthington, who recently took over at Leicester as caretaker manager, has said that he would like the NI job one day.

He is still waiting to hear if he will get the Leicester job on a permanent basis. If he does not, the ex-Sheffield Wednesday defender would be a distinct possibility to succeed Sanchez.

Some other former Northern Ireland internationals, not in full-time club positions, could well throw their hats into the ring.

Gerry Armstrong was assistant to Sanchez until he gave up the post to focus on his work as a television analyst.

And Alan McDonald is now back living in Northern Ireland and working as a coach with Irish League side Glentoran.

Colin Clarke, Northern Ireland's recorded goalscorer before David Healy, was sacked as coach of FC Dallas in November.

Another former NI striker James Quinn, now boss of Conference side Cambridge United, could also be in the frame.

However, with Northern Ireland now top of their Euro 2008 qualifying group, the chance to take the team to the finals in Austria and Switzerland could attract several big-name applicants.

Names being mentioned include former West Brom boss Bryan Robson and ex-Newcastle manager Glenn Roeder.

Former Republic of Ireland defender David O'Leary, who has managed Leeds United and Aston Villa, is another possible contender.

If Irish FA officials decide to look for someone with a proven track record in international management, could former England supremo Glenn Hoddle come into the reckoning?

Northern Ireland's next match as a home Euro qualifier against Liechtenstein on 22 August.

;)

Nigel Worthington would be absolutely ideal as the full time NI manager.

Although his appointment would be a massive blow to leicester City - I think we owe it to the bloke to write in to the NI FA supporting Nigel's application (or write one for him, if he has not applied)

Nigel Worthington would be absolutely ideal as the full time NI manager.

Although his appointment would be a massive blow to leicester City - I think we owe it to the bloke to write in to the NI FA supporting Nigel's application (or write one for him, if he has not applied)

massive blow - eh? what are people on? the bloke has only won a couple of games for us. we then proceeded to show our true colours with the debacle against wolves. if worthington goes to NI it will be a blessing.

massive blow - eh? what are people on? the bloke has only won a couple of games for us. we then proceeded to show our true colours with the debacle against wolves. if worthington goes to NI it will be a blessing.

I think there might have been some sarcasm in the earlier post.........

Micky. I am totally defeated by you. I thought my reputation for sarcasm and irony was sufficient.

Just for your benefit - I am well aware that Nigel Worthington was fine as a caretaker to replace the idiot Kelly. I am equally aware that his appointment as the permanent manager would be a mind dumbing experience ....and that we need something better than mediocrity to follow stupidity. As long as it isn't Paul Ince.

Micky. I am totally defeated by you. I thought my reputation for sarcasm and irony was sufficient.

Just for your benefit - I am well aware that Nigel Worthington was fine as a caretaker to replace the idiot Kelly. I am equally aware that his appointment as the permanent manager would be a mind dumbing experience ....and that we need something better than mediocrity to follow stupidity. As long as it isn't Paul Ince.

Sorry! Can I please nominate myself in the Talkingballs awards as "the most gullible poster!" Doh!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669